Axial .28RR Spec 1

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all,

I'm considering doing a Savage X SS build, and getting the kit without an engine to drop an Axial .28RR in. My main question is, is the .28RR better than the regular axial .28, and is it noticeably different than the HPI K4.6? main reason I like the Axial is the price, and the green is awesome. Just wondering if its worth it to buy the kit w/o the K4.6 and pick up an Axial or not.

Thanks.

Anyone know anything about this engine? Good or bad?

I have a savage and installed the Axial .28 Spec 1s. So far the engine is a brute and its not quite broken in all the way. Very impressed so far with the engine and price. :)

Cool thanks...I have yet to hear anything bad about them which is a good sign.

I also own the S1 and it's a really good engine for the price you pay, changing the pull start for a back plate was a big improvement in working temperature, but this is a mod you can't make if you are going to install it in the Savage. I'm sure the new Axial will be as good as the old one, allthough it should be better.

Acutally installed the roto start backplate on mine and it works fine. Savage with the Axial .28 Spec 1s.

The .28RR is a beast, I think bcane98 has one in his Hyper ST, but the spec 1's are just a re-hashed HPI.28, the RR is the big deal and the best Axial engine out there.

Nice thats what I wanted to hear, so its definitely beyond the HPI K4.6 engine.

Yipper skipper, it's like a modded K4.6, but with a different piston head and intake ports for better perfromance.

Hey micktroll357 do you want to find this out? I am running a hpi K4.6 you are running axial .28 spec. I think I can out run you what do you think? :stick:

Hey micktroll357 do you want to find this out? I am running a hpi K4.6 you are running axial .28 spec. I think I can out run you what do you think? :stick:

Hey Nitroghost, I can give it a shot. I think I will have Friday off. Whats your schedule look like. Your not gonna cry if I spank your ass are ya? :whack: ROFLMAO

I give you a head start :whip:

And you will probably be running in reverse right?.......:doh:

From what I read, it sounds like the .28RR does not come with a plug. Is there one that works best with it, or should I just go with any med/cold plug?

Sounds good...thanks again. Now I just gotta see if I can afford all this. I want to build an X SS kit w/Axial .28RR, with the 3 speed, reverse, 645 and 625 servos, XR3i radio that I already have, and I want a stainless hex screw kit. If can it'll be a pretty sweet ride.

Honestly, I'd go with 645 for T/B and something heftier for the steering. The 645 will work, but it strains quite a bit.

I'm not sure what the XSS kit comes with for brakes. If it's the old fiber, you will want something with a decent amount of torque to slow that bear down. Also, the more torque you have, generally the longer the servo lasts.

Its got the dual steel set up, which I've used a standard servo on before and it looked up the wheels and flipped the truck forward. I've run the 645 in a savage a few times before haha, never had too much of a problem...more torque would be better so I might go with something bigger, dunno if I want to spend the cash for something better. Servo prices seem to go from 35 right up to 70 for the next best servo.

Back