ATV leaks gas!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys do any of your ATVs leak gas through the carb overfolw tubes?

I just noticed it this morning, it runs fine its just throwing out a lot of fuel from the over flow, almost like its on heavy choke, but it isn't on choke at all.

Sounds like you need to clean your carb. Likely stuck floats.

Yeah, I took them off last night in the dark, couldn't find my trouble light, had to use a pocket flash light. I'll have a better look today after work if there still any day light left.

Had a similar problem with my 05 Honda Recon. It turned out to be a bad float valve in the carb. Thank you ethanol!

Sometimes the floats go bad and they sink slightly!only way to tell is to take it off and float it in some water..floats are cheap enough though so

You can remove the hinge pin and take the float out. If you shake it you'll feel the gas splashing around inside it. If that's the case you shake out all the gas and re-solder the seam where the leak is.
A little tip if you have a seam leak is to put the leak at the bottom and heat the float with a hair dryer. The expanding air in the float will push out every last drop of gas.
The other possibility for a leak would be grit or corrosion on the needle seat. The needle usually has a rubber tip and that tip might also be dried out.
Either way, it's a fairly easy fix.

I ended up changing floats in both carbs, and it seems to be working, I only went for a quick ride down to the lake, then left it idle for 20mins seems to be OK.

Thanks for all the help guys.