Any downside to adding a centre diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyrooster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a mini e revo and I am considering adding a centre diff. (Traxxas 7014). I have read a lot about how it will reduce wheelies which is great but I’m wondering if there are any downsides to this mod?

Also, do I need to change the fluid to 100k?

@bill_delong
And anyone who owns a MERV (@F.R.S. Ninja_007)
No idea a basher, but with my experience with racing. Everyone uses a center diff now, diff for low traction on dirt and clay with lower k oils. Carpet and turf with higher / thicker k oils (even in the millions)

Thanks for the reply. I see you’ve called in some help. Appreciate it.
I should have clarified that right now we are driving on grass and the street and doing some jumps.
I am running 2s with no intention of going to 3. I did change the pinion gear and it’s way faster. I also put the extended rear control arms which helped with the wheelies. I do have a wheelie bar but took it off because the design is horrible (imho) in that it wants to pull the screws out of the rear diff case. I just go a bit lighter on the throttle when taking off.

Last edited:
The only downside that I found is that mine will not wheelie with the center diff even on 3s, But it isn't that important to wheelie to me as it will stay on the ground better with the center diff.

@DavidB1126 is right, I do have a merv and I do have the center diff #TRA7014, with 100K diff fluid. You won’t be able to pop wheelies with it, unless you manage to get something really thick inside. It’s so much easier to control now, and it doesn’t effect the vehicle doing flips in the air. No downsides so far.

Ninja-thanks for the comment about the flips. Not sure why this is important to me but it is as I’ve just recently started to do them.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I’ll be heading to the LHS for a diff 😁👍

I added a centre diff with 100k oil (glue??? 😂). Pretty straightforward install. While I was at it I replaced my rear bulkhead as some holes were hogged out. I added one shim to the rear diff since I was in there.

Interesting fact. If you put your rear diff in backwards, your front and rear wheels turn in different directions. 🤦‍♂️☹️

I corrected my diff issue and had a quick run. No wheelies. The front wheels come off the ground but only from a stop and only a tiny bit so I think I accomplished what I set out to do.

I added a centre diff with 100k oil (glue??? 😂). Pretty straightforward install. While I was at it I replaced my rear bulkhead as some holes were hogged out. I added one shim to the rear diff since I was in there.

Interesting fact. If you put your rear diff in backwards, your front and rear wheels turn in different directions. 🤦‍♂️☹️

I corrected my diff issue and had a quick run. No wheelies. The front wheels come off the ground but only from a stop and only a tiny bit so I think I accomplished what I set out to do.
100k is on the runny side when it comes to center diff fluids. The kit setup for my B74.2D was 200k and some people go into seven-figure numbers.

Back