Another poopy pactra product.... paint.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
some may remembe how disappointed I was in Pactra's detail masking tape. Well, recently I've decided to try a different type of paint. I was using Fascolor stuff. Well, I started paint the flames on my S3 body and all of a sudden I noticed these cobwebs appearing all over the place. First I thought some little critter took up a home in my buggy body over the last couple days. So I cleaned it up a bit and started to respray.... and it happend again! This stuff sucks! Everytime I try to spray it there little strands that look like cobwebs keep appearing where I'm trying to paint. I quickly went back to Fascolor stuff before it ruined my paintjob. Unfortunately, that crap did do a little bit of marring up my work but it's not extremely bad. I definately won't be using this stuff anymore.

Anybody else use these paints?

I've read about this before... It has something to do with the amount of air pressure your shooting at, & the consistency of the paint. Try adding a few drops of water, & shake well. It sounds as if the paint is drying as it is being sprayed. Usually caused by too high of a pressure.. Let us know if you decide to try it again...

It is definately too high of a pressure. Parma likes about 30 lbs, but Pactra likes about 15-20lbs. The paint is drying before it hits the body. I think Pactra paint is far better than parma.

rossb - sorry dude, I should've clarified. This is airbrush paint, not rattle cans

ImBroken - Yeah, that makes sense, but I'm only running about 23-24 constant psi. That pretty much the most I can shoot with my little airbrush compressor. That with a small orifice tip as well. I was also trying to shoot very little paint, which is what causes it to dry so fast I guess. I went back to Fascolor and added a few drops of water and I'm having good results. I'm really not to crazy about the idea of thinning that Pactra paint. It's already pretty thin compared to Fascolor stuff, but it is laquer based. I wanted to try something different cuz I was always having clogging issues with Fascolor when shooting lightly. I tried to thin it once and it didn't work well at all. I think I thinned too much cuz today it worked great. Besides, I noticed that laquer stuff is a PITA to clean outta my brush. Well, at least it's cheaper! :)

you musta been right, I was just talkin to my wife and she said it ws probably cuz of too much pressure. I'll see what I can do with this stuff in the future..... but it's still a PITA to clean :thumbdown

what I have says "for r/c cars" whre the acrylic ones say "acryl". Is this the regular stuff?

Yeah, the Lacquer-based stuff you can spray with alot less pressure. If you can do the "cobwebbing" consistently, it can be a neat paint effect.

yeah, you're probably right.I can see how that could look cool if planned properly. I'll have to try this stuff with much less pressure. but not on this body. I'll do some testing on some bottles or something.

This first pic is the lacquer Pactra...

1482857pactra.jpg

This pic is the Pactra Acryl...

1482856pactraacryl.jpg

Acrylic is water based, just like the Parma paint. Lacquer based is not water based, you need paint thinner to thin and clean that stuff up, yes its a pain in the ass, which is why whenever possible I use Pactra Acryl. Nice and easy water clean up. It also does not have that same tendency to spider web as the lacquer based stuff will under higher pressure. I only use the lacquer based stuff if it is a color I really want and I can't find it in acrylic. I use the Pactra acryl right out of the bottle, no thinning and shooting at about 15-20 psi.

No problem man. I think if you try the Pactra Acryl, you will be much happier with it over both regular Pactra and the Parma paints.

thanks NC. I'll give that a try someday. I'm having fairly good luck so far with the Parms stuff.. needs a slight amount of thinning, just about 6 -10 drops of water to about half of an airbrush cup. I'll try to get some pics up when I'm done. White, silver/gray, and black flames over an orange, white, pink, and red striped background. This is officially my first flame job. no decals, hand drawn flames.

I was going to attempt to paint my orange stripes today untill I noticed I was super low on Fasorange. So I thought I'd try the Pactra orange that I picked up last week. Turned the air pressure waaaay down to like 3-4 constant psi and it's STILL doin it. Ughhh.. I just don't like this stuff at all