Advice on a drop in motor for T-Maxx 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

override

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have spent the last 6 or so hours doing some research on engines to upgrade my Maxx with. I'd like to find an engine that has the ability to accept the EZ start, header and clutch assembly. It seems like everyone on the net is recommending the new Ofna .26 Max/Max RD engine.

So with my research I have found these, ones with a (*) next to them are T-Maxx Specific.

O.S. Engines
.18TM - No longer produced
.18TZ
.18CVR/CVRX
.21TM *

Ofna Picco
.21Max - No longer produced
.26Max *
.26RedDot Max *

RB
TM523 .23 *

Dynamite
Mach 2 .19T *

Sirio
.18 *
.27 *

Werks

As I'm sure there are but.....Are there any that I am missing worth mentioning? I'm wanting to stay within the $200-$300 range, closer to $200 which most of these engines will allow me to do.

Of all these I've heard OS, Picco and Dynamite talked about the most.

So now on to my thoughts.....I have read that .21 engines don't give you a big top end gain without changing your gearing.

I would love to go with the Picco .21max but seems it has been replaced with the Picco .26max. I have read that it is alot for this truck without it being properly upgraded. Tranny, driveshafts and diffs being the most commonly mentioned.

The Dynamite Mach 2 .19T has had a few good things said about it, is there anyone who can chime in that has used one of these motors?

Basically all in all what I'm looking for is a motor that will give me a little more output than my 3.3 and is also a more reliable and tune friendly engine that is a direct drop in.

I'm looking in the range of .18 - .21 and possibly the .26. I don't want to have to worry about flipping my truck over when only giving it 1/2 throttle and I for sure want to stay away from anything that will tear up the stock tranny and diffs after a few runs.

Now lets say that I decide to go with a Picco .26 Max RD - What would I be looking at for Transmission and differential upgrades? What kind of diff gearing would I need to do?

Ok, so you guys know as well...As I have heard it said on here before, I have basically put aluminum down the center and plastic on the corners of my T-Maxx. I have replaced all the driveshafts with steel shafts, and I have upgraded to Big Bore shocks with dual rate springs.

Thanks guys for any help and advice!

Last edited:
Trust me you wouldnt want the picco .21 they needed a lot of tuning from one day to the next. I would say os .18tz or the picco .26 red dot. I think it would be cool to try the dynamite just because I have never seen one run and how many people do you know with that engine. :D hope I could help. I'm sure some other members will have ideas too.

Trust me you wouldnt want the picco .21 they needed a lot of tuning from one day to the next. I would say os .18tz or the picco .26 red dot. I think it would be cool to try the dynamite just because I have never seen one run and how many people do you know with that engine. :D hope I could help. I'm sure some other members will have ideas too.

Thanks for the input nitrostoned! Honestly the OS .18tz and the Dynamite .19t are the motors I'm looking at the most right now. I think the Dynamite fits what I'm looking for the most but I just have not seen much info on it. It's also a fairly low priced engine so that kinda tells me it may not be worth a poop in the long run. I would love to get the Picco .26 or .26RD but I'm afraid it is going to be more costly in the future as it seems with that motor you have to upgrade more parts. Also like I stated I hear that 1/4 to 1/2 throttle will put your truck on its back. I'm in this for bashing and I do tend to have a heavy finger, so I want to avoid tearing my truck up. Not to mention when others want to drive it.

Did a little digging on the Dynamite engine and found this long ass thread...Read through most of it and then got to the end to not find a final review of the engine. So I did some more diggin and found this one...They are only a month apart from each other and this guys says the motor was great and only getting better, so I'm assuming they fixed the issue. Seeing as its been around a year since the first thread of the major issues I'm sure this problem has been beyond fixed.

Last edited:
Ok, so today I took my truck out for some bashing since I put all my hop-ups on and was very disappointed in the way my truck ran. There were two things that I noticed and the first was at times it seemed like the centrifugal clutch was slipping from a stop to WOT.

At first I thought maybe I was running to lean so I reset everything and started to retune. I got my HSN set and then set my LSN. Adjusted my idol screw and everything was kosher. I ran a tank through it and still sometimes it would act like it was slipping. The other thing that kinda goes hand in hand with this is it would not pull the front wheels off the ground what-so-ever.

I tuned and retuned and re,retuned for several hours today with the same results. I just got home and checked my clutch shoes and they are like new and the housing is good too. No fuel or anything has come into contact with the shoes either. Slipper clutch is set almost perfect but a little on the tight side so I know its not that.

I checked for air leaks and I have to put so much pressure on the tubing that I can't tell if the air is leaking through my lips or the actual motor.

So I'm curious if aluminum bulkheads and towers, rpm a-arms and knuckles, steel cvd's, aluminum chassis braces, skidplates, bumpers and BB shocks with dual rate springs would cause enough of a weight difference from stock to not allow this motor to pull the front wheels off the ground?

Also if anyone has any input on my original motor post that would be awesome! A stayed up last night till about 2 am reading and watching vids of these different engines, Out of all that I listed I think the OS .21 and the Picco .26 are gonna the two I choose from. Still curious about the Picco .26 and how the stock tranny and diffs would hold up to it.

i havent seen the pico on a tmaxx but the os 21 wakes that truck up but can shell a tranny atleast it did on my buddys.

I would say O.S. .21 over the picco. The O.S. is a bit more pricey but is a nice quality engine. I think the os makes 2.5 hp and the picco makes 2.7 hp, I am not sure at what rpm though.

I'm for OS all the way i believe the rpm on the os is 33,000.The best formula for engine choice is. (How fast do i want to go how much do i want to spend):whhooo:

I ran the dynamite .19 for a year and ABSOLUTELY loved it!!! It had much greater power from the 2.5 and easily pulled wheelies on demand. Very easy to tune and reliable! Defiantly recommended!!! :D

Thanks for the advice so Far guys....I was thinking the .21 would be my choice but being that either way I go (.21 or .26) it seems I'm going to end up having to modify my diffs and possibly even my tranny. So I might go ahead and just shoot for the .26 in the long run for the increase of power and just go ahead and upgrade to UE's 1/8th diffs.

Last edited:
You can update your diffs to brushless E-Maxx ones really cheap and hold up fairly well to a .26 picco. with a properly set up slipper your trans gears should last a while also.

Last year I think i blew 2 sets of trans gears and 1 rear diff. You will need to learn not to "show off", and just limit the ON/OFF/ON/OFF method of throttle control, you should be good!

Well guys I decided to go ahead and just go big...I'm going to get the Picco .26 Maxx JL Reddot and upgrade my diffs and tranny.

I just bought me a set of UE SuperMaxx UltraLite 7.5, 8 Spyder differentials for $260 shipped.

I am putting my 3.3TRX engine, stock diffs and Traxxas Steel CVD's up on my sale thread.

keep the old 3.3 for a winter engine!

wow $260 you must be loaded!!!

keep the old 3.3 for a winter engine!

wow $260 you must be loaded!!!

Nah I don't want the 3.3...If I decide to get a winter engine I think I will get myself a Dynamite .19.

I wouldn't say I'm loaded...lol The diffs are the only thing I have bought for this project thus far. The only reason why I went for those first is cause I got em for that price on ebay brand new. UE's website they are going for $299.99 sale price and $375 as regular price. I like $260 shipped better than either of those prices...lol

pretty sure those diffs require special bulks/diff cups designed to fit 1/8th scale diffs

I bought the entire kit...The kit allows you to build two complete diffs for one truck.

does it come with new bulks/diff cups?

actually after looking them up it appears they do come with new diff cups. my bad just tryin to look out for ya. the power from that red dot is gonna keep you grinning for a long time.

No problem man, Thanks for looking out though.

I hope it does keep me grinning! I'll be excited when I get all the parts and get it setup...I have a feeling its gonna be a couple months before I can get everything I need....Been thinking about going through my old RC stuff and seeing if I have anything worth selling...I have a badass oldschool traxxas rustler sitting around here somewhere that would make a nice fixer upper for someone. Just gotta figure out where I stored it at...

Dynamite .19

Nah I don't want the 3.3...If I decide to get a winter engine I think I will get myself a Dynamite .19.

I have the Dynamite .19 and it is a good engine but not nearly in the same class as my Sirio.27. I am interested to hear how you like the .26 red dot, I want to buy this for my Revo. I have the Sirio. 27 on my Tmaxx and I have ordered a wheely bar, it is a necessity with this kind of power.

I have the Dynamite .19 and it is a good engine but not nearly in the same class as my Sirio.27. I am interested to hear how you like the .26 red dot, I want to buy this for my Revo. I have the Sirio. 27 on my Tmaxx and I have ordered a wheely bar, it is a necessity with this kind of power.

You may talk to a member on here by the name of Bryson. I'm buying his Revo "Race Roller". He said he had a Picco .26 Maxx in it and it was a little to much power for it.

As for the T-Maxx you could gear it so it doesn't wheelie easy with that larger motor in it. As well as changing up your suspension.

Its still gonna be a bit before I get this all setup but I will be sure to give you some feedback on it.