40-Series wheels and tires on a Baja?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.21Rc10GT

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys.

Have any of you tried the Dark Soul 40-series 23mm adapters for the baja? I bought a set, and have a set of big joes and moabs with the white wabash wheels. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but the stock tires were worn out and I though, what the hell. I ordered a back up set of stockers just in case as well. The big joes are roughly the same size, but wider and have more meat on them to grip with (I will be driving in super loose stuff anyway). The moabs are about 1/2" bigger than stock, and just a hair wider. I am going to see what works better, but I am guessing the Joes will.

Anyone try it yet?

Thanks. I have been a member there for a couple months... I just wanted to know if any of OUR members had tried it?

I think the larger tires on the rear may help it out a bit with better traction, and they look good too. However with this not being a 4wd vehicle I see the large tires on the front hurting the performance, putting a bigger unnecessary strain on the steering servo, and causing the battery to run down quicker, plus to me it doesn't look right.

I ran the CNR adapters for a while. They pushed the tire/wheel combo out too far for my tastes. The combo worked well but the foams are a little soft. I ran them for probably a gallon of fuel with only the occasional re-gluing required.

I just mounted the rears on today (the wabash with the big joes) and must say it helped traction out a TON! The wheels don't spin as much, and provide unbelievable grip. I didn't glue them too well so they popped off, so I just reglued them up really good. I gotta say though, they grip so good, the engine has trouble reaching full power, although, that could just be some tuning. May be time for a big bore kit after all! I will take some pics later tonight after I spray it all off with the air compressor.

Just to follow up on the pics, Here is before:

Baja1.jpg

And After:

Baja105-07.jpg

Baja205-07.jpg

Baja305-07.jpg

The pictures do not do it justice. It looks mean! I don't know if it is the hardwood floor or what, I just need to get some action shots now! I will try for some of those tomorrow after work!

Well, after running this morning I must say... Way better than stock! Although, if you run on the street, they get a little squirrely. After running about a tank through on them, they show almost no wear (compare that to the stock that are close to bald by the end of 2 tanks). They grip SO much better than the stock ones. If the engine had just a little more power, it would wheelie.

I hear alot of people getting really low run times on the stock tires, but I've been having really good luck with mine. I'm close to my 3rd tank and they still look like new and show no signs of wear.. I've never had them on tar, but that will make any tire bald..

I think the 40's look nice. What ya have in store for the baja next?

That side shot looks like you are running alot of preload on the rear shocks. Is that true or just my poor eyesight?

Actually, yes, the preload is amped up because we have a lot of rough stuff around here, so it needs all the clearance it can get.

Andy, I'm not sure what is next. Either a big bore kit and diff upgrade, new lid, or some carbon fiber stuff... I am going to end up with all of it eventually, so it is hard to figure out whats next. Off to drive it!

Well, looks like one of the foams inside the tire broke or blew apart inside, because the tire is way out of balance, and I can feel the foam all bunched up in one area. The foams were too soft to begin with. Maybe I should have wraped a couple strips of duct tape around them...

Back