3 speed upgarde

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugen MTX-2

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

I've just blown my trans and decided that I might as well get the 3 speed upgrade seeing as I'm replacing it anyway.

Does the 3 speed upgrade kit replace everything inside the trans? Just trying to figure out if I need the pre-assembled one or if I can get away with the upgrade kit.

Thanks.

I've got the three speed kit sitting on my shelf getting ready to go into my Savy in the next week or two (doing reverse at the same time and still need to get a servo)...

Looking at the instructions it seems like everything inside the case is replaced with new parts. The only thing that states "included with your car kit" are the outdrives, grub screws for outdrives, slipper clutch setup, and brake hub. Basically everything OUTSIDE the trans case.

Make sure you trans case isn't damaged either and you'll be good to go on using the kit.

HTH...

thanks for that, saves me a few dollars :smoke:

or you could buy the 3 speed that is all together and just requires dropping it in.that way you know ever gear is changed because its the whole tranny.i think it is $80 bucks

Yeah, but for that $80 bucks you can get the 3-speed kit AND reverse (like I'm doing) or just pocket the difference and have a nice dinner.

It's not that hard to assemble a few gears and snap rings. Installing the kit gives you the confidence that you know your rig inside and out.

MustangMan said:
Yeah, but for that $80 bucks you can get the 3-speed kit AND reverse (like I'm doing) or just pocket the difference and have a nice dinner.

It's not that hard to assemble a few gears and snap rings. Installing the kit gives you the confidence that you know your rig inside and out.

Well, ordered the 3 speed kit and reverse module...can't wait for them to turn up so I can have some fun :)

Good luck! I'm going to try and do mine this weekend. I mean "try" as in find the time and get my reverse servo, I'm sure I won't have any problems with the install...

Good luck and let us know your results!

Mugen...

Just getting mine apart and it seems the instructions aren't clear on what's reused. It turns out you'll also reuse your main gear shaft and drive shaft (what the slipper bolts to) as well. The kit does include a new idler shaft because it needs a third hole to hold the extra gear. So, as long as your main gear shaft (what the outdrives mount to) and the drive shaft (that your slipper mounts to) are undamaged, you'll be good to go. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, if you need the part numbers for the two shafts:

#86081 GEAR SHAFT 6x12x78mm (BLACK/1pc) $8.00
#86089 DRIVE SHAFT 6x71mm (BLACK/1pc) $4.00

I'm also going to get the silver upgrade outdrive cups for mine when I go to the lhs today to buy my reverse servo. Might as well install them now since a K4.6 is going in soon!

OK, Update #3, if you're going to put the reverse module in the trans case that takes the place of the gearshaft #86081.

Got the trans all together with 3-speed internals and reverse. No problems and you won't need anything special in the tool department. Some sort of pick tool or pocket screwdriver to remove the C-clips, but that's about it.

Good luck Mugen!

i just installed reverse on friday, wasn't very tricky. I just had some issues with the linkage. the way they said it in the manual was pulling my servo hard, so I had to adjust a bit. Dont know if u have that issue. But i could tell because it would drive in reverse, but when i shifted it into forward it would only rev. Just make sure when you shift f/r, you are at idle. otherwise it f's with ur trans. Good Luck!

This thread really got me interested in the 3 speed tranny. How is it working for you guys? Do you need a long straight away to really see the difference? Thanks guys

cheers guys. The parts arrived at work today (altho I wasn't there!!) so I'll be getting them tomorrow and trying it out after work.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,
Gus.

oh Mustang, just noticed you are getting a K4.6...have you thought of a SH28? (blue top one)

I've just put one in and the thing is insane (thats whats been braking my diff/hex's and trans...)

Just a thought as I paid under $90USD new for mine. Very cheap upgrade

savage18SS said:
This thread really got me interested in the 3 speed tranny. How is it working for you guys? Do you need a long straight away to really see the difference? Thanks guys

i dont have one myself, but debating whether or not to get one. You can tune when the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points are. But in order to tune (i think its the 1-2) you have to take out the trans and open it up. But the 2-3 you can just open the flap. Somone please correct me if I'm wrong. That is the only downside i see of it, and its $80.

I'm not sure about this, but couldnt you tuned both using the 2 hole in the trans Gear box? isnt that why there are two hole located on the side? again just wondering.

No, mmm, the 1-2 shift requires a tear down of the trans to access the clutch.

Savage18ss, just ran it last night to make sure reverse worked. It was a bit chilly and the S-25 was fat, so it was hard to get power. I'll retune tonight and make sure I'm hitting all three gears, but I did notice the lower first gear, gets moving QUICK. The trans makes 1st 10% lower and 3rd 10% higher (than the old 2nd gear)...

Mugen... The trans comes with the two clutch holders preset for the S-25. You might want to look at the HPI Europe site and check out the 3-speed instructions on the site, they are much better than the US instructions and mention number of turns to adjust for various engines.

BTW, the K4.6 was a gift, so you can't get much lower price than that! :D

Just wondering how the 3rd gear is working out? I just ordered mine and will be running it with my hyper21. Soon to be upgrading to a Picco .27.

Go to Iraq for a while and everything has changed, I've ordered so many new parts in the past week.

Last edited:
I just seen 3rd Gear, and bought it. Guess I should have asked around a little. But the HPI website says
You can use it for all Savages, its just optimized for the big blocks.

Anyone think that this wouldnt be a good performance upgrade with only a Hyper21?

it would be if you can get it to work.

if you need to you can just put on a smaller clutch bell/larger spur, but I'd say it will be alright, plus with the .27 going in soon I wouldn't worry about it.

Still haven't tested my 3 speed out...I keep braking my Savage :( Haven't had a good run for about a month now... :hammer:

Back