10 seconds of donuts = Roasted Foam Tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I went gokarting last night with my local car club. I decided to bring the ntc3 to show someone what it can do since he was interested in r/c cars. As soon as I showed him the car, he was begging for me to start it up.

So I start it up and start ripping through the parking lot. I had enough room to get up to probably 55mph, but the surface was super poopy. I only got up to 42mph :(

Anyhoo, make a long story short, he asks me if it can do donuts. So I cocked the wheel to one side and pegged the gas instantly having the car do 4wd donuts in place.

And as a result, this happened...
657DSCN0787-med.JPG

Last edited:
For day to day bashing, does it really make sense to run foams?

I'm a MT user only, so I don't really get why there are foam tires... is it because they are lighter or easier to mold or what?

I don't really see a reason to run foams either, e/c in racing where they give more traction I think. :cheers:

olds97_lss said:
For day to day bashing, does it really make sense to run foams?

I'm a MT user only, so I don't really get why there are foam tires... is it because they are lighter or easier to mold or what?

Well for most bashers with sport engines, you can run rubbers. But i've got so much power that i'll do 25ft. peel outs with rubbers.

It only makes sense to run Foams. They hook up a lot better and as long as you get a really hard compound they should last a very long time. I can stop 1/4 distance of what a rubber tire will stop at, at any given speed when I run the foams.

What's the top speed of that car if you had an unlimited amount of space to run in?

Well best i've done is 61mph...but honestly, I think that's about all it'll do, maybe a few more mph with the right mixture...so i'd say 65mph?

I can tell you, I was running the car yesterday. I did 48mph...then ran it with an extra 10-20 feet and hit 52mph. So it does still have some decent top end.

edit: btw, this was calculated using my venom speed meter

Huh! Learn something every day. I just figured that since they are foam, they would constantly be tearing up on you. I never in a million years thought they would hook up better... In my head, foam would spin and allow sliding (drifting) more than rubber, but rubber would be more durable and tacky when gotten up to driving temps.

Like I said, learn something new everyday.

rubbers are ok for the summer and higher temperatures but if you run in the winter then foams will be better because they have more grip without the surface needing to be a certain temp

Is it just me or can no one see the picture?????

Sorry picture isn't there so I'll ask, did they chunk? I was experimenting with different shores the other day prepping for races and big chunks came off a set of rear tires I was trying after just a couple warm up laps. Since I switched to foams I'd never even consider rubber tires for on road racing.

Sorry guys, it's back up again...and yes it was chunking...like crazy!

man what were you running on ?! I done doughnut on my foam tires on concrete and asphalt and the never chip or should I say chunk off like urs. What brand are they ?

Look at the surface in the pic. It's like driving on a cheese grater.
Foams will definetly hook up better on paved surfaces.
The softer the better, but at a cost!
A rubber tire can last a season, but a foam might not last a day.
At $25 a pair, It gets to be costly.
Basically, $50 a day if you run Exotic foams.. (soft)
Kwong, I have a set of new HPI blue if you want them.(cheap) hard foams.
Send a pm.

lol, actually those pictures were taken on my driveway the day after. But the surface I was running on was super poopy. It had rocks everywhere and bumps and I had sparks coming from under the car. I had the bolt for my motormounts hitting the ground and they're now toast...I had to buy new ones today.

It doesn't really matter too much though. Cuz I only had like 2-3mm left of foam so they were bound to start chunking. It was only two tires on the left side I believe. The right side had a bunch more left.

And I did find 2 more foams to replace the ones that are toast...

Last edited:
Are those Jaco Nitro Shoes? I tore the hell out of a set that were getting thin doing a bunch of high speed passes down the street.

RatzoRC said:
Look at the surface in the pic. It's like driving on a cheese grater.
Foams will definetly hook up better on paved surfaces.
The softer the better, but at a cost!
A rubber tire can last a season, but a foam might not last a day.
At $25 a pair, It gets to be costly.
Basically, $50 a day if you run Exotic foams.. (soft)
Kwong, I have a set of new HPI blue if you want them.(cheap) hard foams.
Send a pm.

You still trying to get rid of those blue dots? I told you that pissing on them is not the way to get traction! :jk:

$25 a pair for foams? wow you're getting raped. I pay $11 a pair for speedminds Ellegi's. Then again, I get a good discount from Sponge Bob.

Back