Revo 2.5 (18tm) to slayer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2revo1maxx

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anyone know what it takes besides a-arms, pushrods, springs, trans parts, and shafts?
I know there are wheels/tires, and a few other knick knacks as well.

This will probably become a "build" thread.

I'm new and the only RC I have is my Revo and my son's 2.5 Tmaxx so some of my questions may sound stupid. The Revo and slayer share the same chassis?

The Revo to Slayer conversion will need the A-Arms, Pushrods, and possibly axle shafts. The trans is the same.

I'm new and the only RC I have is my Revo and my son's 2.5 Tmaxx so some of my questions may sound stupid. The Revo and slayer share the same chassis?

The Slayer Pro 3.3 has the same chassis & suspension as the revo, regular Slayer does not.

The trans is almost the same. I think I need an output shaft.

Last edited:
To me... the trans seems pretty much the same for a 2.5 slayer besides the stock gearing being the wide gearset for the two speed. Slayer or revo, I didn't care for that gearset. When I converted to a revo, I replaced the internals with RRP steel and used a standard gearset.

Parts to swap to a revo was:
body
4 pushrods
4 sets of arms
4 outer axles
Spur (38, I think)
CB (15, I think)
revo rear bumper (still using slayer front bumper assembly because it's got more cushion)

That was without the 3.3 chassis, when I got the 3.3 chassis:
2 center axles
1 steering linkage rod

Installed the 2 speed standard offset gears due to not liking the big gap. Removed the rear bumper and got a wing kit, then bolted a revo bumper onto the wing kit... not sure why, but the holes were there and I had a spare bumper. Also ditched the side nerf bars that were there to support the slayer body.

So, you'd still need the nerf bars, front/rear bumper assembly and body. Personally... I thought the body was ridiculous and added a lot more weight to an area the slayer didn't need which raised the COG considerably. Made it more tippy. I replaced the body with a standard truck body and ditched the nerf bars before I converted to a revo.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm debating the whole body thing, but I'll probably do it.

The transmission on the slayer pro has a wide ratio, and the revo 2.5 is a standard ratio in stock form. I think I'm gonna try the close gearset.

I also have to change the two output gears to achieve the correct ratio for a slayer.

I don't remember ever changing anything but the two speed to a standard ratio... could be wrong though since I did buy it used.

Yeah I checked the part #'s on traxxas. I'm ordering parts today. I'm not even crazy about doing this, but I have 2 revos, and my nephew has a new slash. It should be fun anyway.

It would be fun to have both, but in general, the MT revo is better for all around bashing. In "slayer" form, big air is very unkind to it. And it's very tippy in general. Running buggy tires with the gearing for it, I was able to run the 2.5R in it without much overheating issues. Was nice having long run times... not so nice with the LRP. lol With MT wheels, the 2.5R felt like a dog, out comes the bb conversion.

I would probably rather have a slayer and revo than jato and revo I have now. Something for me to think about... I really like my revo, but I like the quietness/quickness of the jato. The slayer was also very similar to what my jato is, just more tippy. Got around a lot better though since it's 4wd.

Last edited:
I'm building the newer 5907 "slayer pro". It's longer and wider, so I guess my 2.5 chassis has to go. It'll be 1" wider and 30mm longer. I'm gonna do it because I have 6 mts and it's time for something a little different.

Parts list coming soon, and I'll be building in a week or two.

Well, as usual it's gonna cost more than I hoped. The main reason for that is I usually get a few more parts than I need, like the chassis that includes radio boxes etc. It was the same price as the next one up that came with no extra parts. I can turn these over and actually save money in the long run.

I have here a list for making a revo 2.5 into a slayer pro.

5322x chassis (unless you're starting with a revo 3.3)
5996 primary (final drive) gears.
5385 standard ratio gearset.
3953 36 tooth spur....1.0 pitch
5931,32,33,34 a-arms
5918(x) pushrods (4)
5939(R) tie rods (4)
5435/36 yellow/white shock springs
Slayer pro shafts (unsure of part #)
5935/36 bumpers with mounts
Wheels and tires
Body
Nerf bars

I actually got the close ratio gearset because I've never used one.
You need p2 rockers if you don't already have them.
Look for shafts that include hexes and hardware.
The ebay chop shops are your friend!

I'd suggest going with 1/8 buggy wheels/tires. Less sidewall flex and there are a lot of choices out there. Easily bolt on with traxxas 17mm hex hubs.

I might, But I gotta see how it sits with my nephew's slash wheels first.

Slayer to Revo

left the Slayer bumpers on my swap from Slayer to Revo, helps alot when it does wheelies on dirt. Have some say it looks silly, I think its pretty cool....

If you get a revo wing kit, works really well for that too and doesn't look as odd. I like the slayer bumper up front. Does look funny, but adds more spring when I lawn dart into the ground.

Update, project getting under way, pics coming soon. I want to add one thing to the list. Part #5391r is the trans case that will fit the slayer primary gear. I can't get it in a revo case, it's too big.