Gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakEyez151

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just picked up a used 3.3 Jato. I dont need that much power to run it on track, so I'm gonna swap it out with my Revo's 2.5r. The Revo could use the extra power anyhow. I did a quick forum search to double check - and as I thought, its a direct swap.

However the last few weeks I've been setting up my revo for the track. Alu tie rods, Lunsf push rods, P2 rockers. Adjusted toe and camb. I still need to rebuild the trans and differentials. I have the parts for the FOC and Short gear ratio and had planned on gettin that done this weekend, however I've got the 3.3 now. Will these be too short? Am I better off leavin the stock gearing in, or should I even go swap the short for the wide range gears before I rip into the trans? Hopefully somebody has had experiance with this situation before!

Also, I had planned on usin 35k diff fluid up front, and 10k in the rear. With the larger motor, would I need to change or is this setup still fine? Lastly, I assume the truck will still handle nicely with the 2.5 chassis? Probably have to setup up to a larger spur gear to help keep the front wheels down?

Thanks for your help
Mike

If you're runninga smaller technical track the close ratio will be fine. Go with the 16/38 cb/spur. You should be fine with the dif as well, you can also look at coming down to 15F 10R or 15/15. Check out traxxas Revo Resources and see what Slaydens most recent setup is.

I'll have to check his out. From what I had been reading, 35 up front was good, and 10 in the rear helped out alot with the push. I couldn't keep the truck on the track last time I ran it (stock setup). Turns were way too tight. its setup for 1/10th scale trucks, but they were talkin about usin the entire yard now cause they want to get into 1/8th scale buggies also..

The track is a decent size, just a lot of tight turns.

I swapped over the 2.5r for the 3.3 in my Revo today. I was surprised at the difference in power. That 3.3 really livens up the Revo! I ran it for about 10 minutes today... till it broke.

After a few high speed passes, I lined it up to pull up right infront of me at the edge of the drive way to check the temp and possibly adjust a needle, as I'd been doin. I came in a little hot, and hit a small bump which ended up launchin the Revo, and buckin the rear end up. It did 3/4 of a front-flip, landing Engine-head first, coming to a stop about 3ft past me after a couple more flips. It was still runnin, but 'Idle" was like 1/2 throttle, and it didn't want to move anymore. I quickly killed the engine. First inspection - aluminum toe-tubes were still straight and intact, as were my Lunsford pushrods. No broken arms, however a couple cooling fins were mashed down and the spur gear spun freely.

Walk the Revo over to my truck to re-tighen the spur gear. Couldn't get to the nut, so I losen the carb-nut and pull the carb off the engine... well, half of it. The crash snapped the top-half of the carb, and left the bottom half inside the case. No probably, I can go pick up another carb. I get back to the spur gear and find its wobbly. Somehow the back-pressure plate was busted. Turns out that the crash shoved the Engine forward, into the spur gear, which broke the plate. That was caused by the motor mount breaking - at the pivotting mount, and cracking both halves at the chassis mount. That ofcourse didn't give way immediately - the chassis, where the mount is bolted, was tweaked upward also.

Wow. That crash did some damage. Can't wait to fix it! Hopefully I can straighten it back out... Not quite ready for a new chassis. My LHS didn't have the back pressure plate, so I've gotta hit up one out here in Bakersfield after work sometime (hopefully tomorrow) and start the big Revo makeover in my hotel room <Maids gotta love me!>

Are there any good aftermarket slipper clutch pressure plates worth gettin? How about the chassis? I'd love a Vantage, but they're a bit pricey and I've spent a lot of $$ on RCs this pay-half...

Mike

WoW, Bein out of town has done WONDERS for my Revo! Not only have I found the time to work on my Revo, but have also picked up some more hop ups! Turns out "Racers Haven" Hobby store is out here... They not only carry stock parts, but also a LOT of aftermarket parts. Tekno, Integy, Hot Racing, etc.

On that note - I've finally finished my Revo-Rebuild. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get off early enough to find time to run this bad boy! Over the past 3 nigts, I've torn down the Revo from Front to Back. I've scrubbed out as much dirt as I could, Hell I've even been sprayin it with cleaner in the hotel room! (into a trash can ofcourse!)

I've replaced the front diff oil w/ 35, installed the Red Alu tie rods up, completed a Single Steering Servo. Now its sporting a pro-line steering arm and Dynamite servo horn which is coupled to an Airtronics 358 High Torque servo.

The transmission recieved the FOC and a short-ratio rebuild. It also got a brand new back-pressure plate for the slipper clutch. Buh-bye to the electronics. Now I'm using my MX3. I traded off the traxxas boxes for a Tekno throttle servo mount (590m runs the throttle), and Tekno RX/Battery Box (HiTec XXL reciever).

In the back, the Engine recieved a brand new carberator (old one snapped in 2) and a Motor Saver air filter. I also installed a new engine mount kit, and chassis brace. The rear diff recieved 10k diff fluid. All of which is topped off by a Tekno Wing Mount sportin a Pro-Line Wing.

I'm a little glad Racers Haven didn't have a quickturn in stock or else that'd be added to my list... While I did want it, I spent a bit much in the last couple weeks between the Revo and the Jato.

~ Mike

Back