Where do I go from Here? (Break-In Question)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm new at this Nitro thing so take it easy on me. Anyway,
I have an Ultra LX Comp that I received for Christmas. I read the instructions in the manual as far a breaking it in and tried to follow them as best as I could (very confusing). Well this is exactly what I did right or wrong. The first time I started it, it started just fine I took its temp. and it stayed at 200 deg. at low rpm. But what I think I did (at least that what I've been reading) wrong was I ran the car until it ran out of fuel. I let it completely cool at bdc and repeated the above one time. The 3rd time I started it, I blipped it on the ground at low rpm (figure 8) until it stalled (at this point I was just getting ready to start messing with the needle to tune it). Upon restarting I broke the pull string (sits for a month). Now that I have a starter box I want to resume breaking it in, but I've got the feeling I've been doing it all wrong. Where do I go from here? Is it possible to start the process over by heat cycling (ex. on for 2-3 minutes then cool), or are there any other suggestions on resuming the break in.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I do not think there is anything wrong with starting the heat cycle break in all over. Plus, you will get to see how the engine reacts and then can make the necessary tuning adjustments. If you think about, the break in is the gentlest way to get used to how your engine and chassis will perform, for both driver and the car. Good decision in making sure the piston is at BDC when in the cooling portion of the heat cycle. Always leave your engine at BDC when you are done running and have set up the car for after-run storage.

My :2cents: I whould just set it back to factory settings and start over.
It can't hurt any thing by doing it.If its to rich lean it out a bit and go from there
It sounds like your doing just fine..
Have fun with you buggy there a blast!

To me, it sounds like you did fine. The engine got up to temp, you run it, it cooled down and BDC, repeat.... Just pick up where you left off. You haven't done anything wrong. The instructions you have are telling you how to heat cylce the engine -- that's great. A lot of manuals will tell people to idel tanks of gas through the engine. Then people look at us cross-eyed when we tell them it's better to heat cycle. You get almost twice as much life out of your engine if you heat cycle it for break in.

Hey guy's I appreciate your suggestions. I feel a whole lot better now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw up my motor. Being in that state of limbo kind of threw me off. I intend on starting over and following the instructions that Newman posted here http://p202.ezboard.com/fofnaracingnitrotalkbackfrm36.showMessage?topicID=36.topic. But the weather here in Ohio has been pretty funky so I haven't had time to start. Thanks again guys for you responses.

yeah, if the weather is cold, dont risk it.