Hyper 7 keep it or not?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CANLOGIC

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I am trying to decide whether to keep my Hyper 7 PCR Pro kit or return it for a Mugen or Xray. The 'kit' turned out to be 80% complete. When I called OFNA the tech told me the instructions in the old kit were so bad but that it was cheaper to have it assembled than to rewrite the instructions. He then told me that I should tear it apart and reassemble it before use. I asked where I could get some basic instructions and setup info but he couldn't tell me except that they were working on some. So should I keep it or return it?

do whatever you think is best man. all those buggy's are good buggy's. when it comes down to those buggy's it mostly comes down to personal preference. if it were me i would keep the hyper 7 becuase it is easier to get replacement parts and upgrades for it. and if the buggy works good then why would you sell it. and so what if the kit turned out to be 80% complete. more driving time for you instead of building time. all you have to do is locktite all the metal to metal contact screws and your good.

yes I had the same problem but I asked a member here and he helped out. I ended up missing some screws for my kit. I recommend to use a digital caliper to be postive of which screw to use. Thread type may be hard if you aren't knowledgeable of them.

I have the pcr pro and the Mugen X5. Keeping the Mugen as I just ove Mugen. The PCR is an awesome ride. Very strong but I need to cut my possesions down a bit so it will be leaving my stable.

No there will be no time saveings as the OFNA tech support told me I should completely tear it down and reassemble because it probably isn't put together right. So do I want to keep a kit that OFNA admits is not put together right and doesn't have a manual because it was too expensive to create one. Althought I know it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild it do I want to support a company with that type of attitude.

I have a pcr and its awsome to say the least. Taking it apart isn't a big deal because your eventually going to take it apart anyway. And there is no better way to learn your buggy then to take it apart.

Go here http://www.twf8.ws/new/home.htm

Click Reviews
Click Cars
Click Ofna/Ho Bao
Click Hyper 7
You will see the most detailed build there, no manual will ever come close to this step by step guide.

CANLOGIC said:
No there will be no time saveings as the OFNA tech support told me I should completely tear it down and reassemble because it probably isn't put together right. So do I want to keep a kit that OFNA admits is not put together right and doesn't have a manual because it was too expensive to create one. Althought I know it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild it do I want to support a company with that type of attitude.
Who did you speak to? I spoke with andrew and he helped me out great!!

I can't tell you if you should take your OFNA buggy back or not. My opinion of the buggy might be different than yours. This wouldn't be because I'm right and you're wrong, mind you, but because we come from different places with different skills and resources.

Our LHS owner racers a PCR Pro as does one of the other guys I run with. These guys have been doing this buggy thing for something like 8 years. Does that mean the PCR Pro is the best buggy to buy? Well, I suspect he likes it because it's affordable and he can get parts for it easy. He probably doesn't care that it's lacking documentation because he's done this for so many years. He also probably tore it completely apart and rebuilt it first thing and didn't even flinch.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that everyone's opinions differ because we are all different people. So in answer to your question, if you're not comfortable with the purchase take it back.

EDIT: twf8 is a great resource. If that makes you feel a bit more comfortable with it more power to ya. :)

I had actually printed out all the instructions on the twf8 site. I will probably keep the kit as I gave this a fair amount of thought before buying. I am not worried about teardown as I have a Tmax, a Revo and an RC10 that I built from scratch. Both my tmax and revo have more modifications than I care to admit. Also friends have a variety of MT's, truggies etc. It just pisses me off that they misrepresent the kit then assemble it because they don't want to rewrite the manual then tell you to rebuild it before useing it. OFNA needs to get it's act together.

what the hell are these companies playing at, NO Manuals is like having no diff to a newb, looked for one for someone else the other day for the xtm x-terminator that doesn't have a build manual either, even if its already assembled they need a build manual, maybe we need to start getting hard with these companies till they do what there sposed to

mikeburgin said:
what the hell are these companies playing at, NO Manuals is like having no diff to a newb, looked for one for someone else the other day for the xtm x-terminator that doesn't have a build manual either, even if its already assembled they need a build manual, maybe we need to start getting hard with these companies till they do what there sposed to

Exactly what I am saying. I have never had a buggy before but luckily I have 2 MT's and an RC10. What they don't think of is I have in Canadian $
about $650 for kit, $350 for engine, $300 for reciever and servos and probably another $300 in misc parts paint tires etc. Thats a fairly significant wack of cash that I spent at the LHS then find out the crap they are telling me.

i just dont understand how they can say its cheaper to prebuild than re write the manual, then say but youll have to pull it apart cause it wont be assembled right, youll need the manual to know whats not assembled right, probably find they mean youll need to lock tight any screws that are screw to steel and alloy

Well I guess cause OFNA doesn't build it and it comes from china where the wages are so low that it is actually cheaper to have it assembled than to do a good user manual. Maybe the new Hyper 8 or whatever they are calling it will have one.

CANLOGIC, now that is bizarre. My Hyper 7 PCR RTR came with a beautiful build manual on gloss pages. The illustrations appear to be color 3D computer generated graphics, and is easy to follow.

The operation manual, however, was a joke.

Funny that the RTR would have a build manual and the kit not have one. Anyway with printing the stuff on the twf8 site and some stuff from OFNA's site I have enough to tear it down and reassemble it. Plus if I get stuck I can always ask here. My LHS says the V-spec will be here friday then all I need is paint and warmer weather.

my hyper 7 PCR came with the same things as revo rancher got. I'm actually pretty impressed with the build manual and the operation manual has some good information but it does not have computer generated graphics and it is not put on nice gloss paper like the build manual.

Back