got my new buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holeshot_king

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi, i got my new buggy and it is great i have approx.4-5 tanks of gas threw it
and i was wondering a few things. how long shoud i have till i need to rebuild it?and if there are any what kind of supension upgrades r there my lhs wasn't very helpful in that they just told me to use my ride hieght adjustment clips but i need stiffer shocks and maybe new weight of shock fluid.is there any way i can reduce my buggys hesitance to "get up and go". i mean it runs fast but it takes a wide variety of rpms to kick in to gear or something.

..............btw i have a 1/8th scale nitro mayhem with a sportwerks .26 motor(stock)

congratulations on the new toy. your suspension just needs a spring and fluid change to get it the way you want. as for your get up and go, it sounds as if you need to adjust your low speed needle on the engine. a lean LSN will cause hesitation, high temps, and flameouts. a rich LSN will cause high fuel consumption, hesitation, and the motor will flood out.

well i dont really have "flame outs" and my fuel consuption is what it should be but i was wondering if i could change the gearing at all?to fix the "get up and go"

btw thanks for the answers

congratulations on choosing a Mayhem
you won't regret it !

Holeshot_king said:
well i dont really have "flame outs" and my fuel consuption is what it should be but i was wondering if i could change the gearing at all?to fix the "get up and go"

btw thanks for the answers

Give it a little more time... The .21 & larger engines take somewhere around
10 - 20 tanks to really break in. Try not to lean it out too early...

ImBroken said:
Give it a little more time... The .21 & larger engines take somewhere around
10 - 20 tanks to really break in. Try not to lean it out too early...

Yeah my OS VZB (.21 if youaren't fimiliar with it) took the better part of a gallon to fully break in, but I was running it pretty had after about a half. do not, I repeat, do not lean it out too early, or you will reduce the life of the engine dramatically. Buy a temp gun if you don't have one. Then talk to someone with that engine to confirm normal running temps. During break in you should run it a little rich, so what ever normal running temps are for that engine, subtract +/- 20 deg. F for break in. :2cents:

good luck w/it, keep us posted. guess things are gettin looser w/buggies comin w/oversized engines.

-Ult

UltegraSTI said:
good luck w/it, keep us posted. guess things are gettin looser w/buggies comin w/oversized engines.

-Ult

Yup they are. Its all good though. I would have picked up the Mayhem,but I wanted a .21,so I got the Storm. A lot of tracks are run what you brung anymore,so its not a really big deal. Most serious racers just pick up a kit anyway,so the mill is not an issue.

Good luck with the Mayhem,they look like stout buggies. As for life on the mill,it varies GREATLY on how you take care of it, do some searching on here for care and after run procedures.

thanks for all the help and just a little update. i went out on my lhs track and i got a "glitch" i think becuase my car just wasn't being under my control any more and wound out and hit the wall at like full speed so i had to replace the lower left a-arm so that was my first real project for my car, i talked to my guy at the lhs and he said that there really wasn't a bigger motor i could go with so that this one was more than enough power and he told me that there team runs them and that they r excelent cars. but have u seen the tray on a mayhem all the extra space on the side of the receiver? it looks like i could fit a pack in thier but i wanted ur guy's opion first here is a pic to describe what i mean.

Last edited:
failsafe and TRS (throttle return spring) are in order my friend.

if i can get a Rx hump pack, a failsafe, and all the wiring in a storm/sut box, u should b able 2 do it on anythin else

-Ult

UltegraSTI said:
failsafe and TRS (throttle return spring) are in order my friend.

if i can get a Rx hump pack, a failsafe, and all the wiring in a storm/sut box, u should b able 2 do it on anythin else

-Ult

almost impossible in a mugen x-5. damn rx box has to be the smallest out there. failsafe and spring definately a good idea. I've not been able to convince myself to get another failsafe since mine went haywire after a short time, but a return spring at minimum is needed.

congrats on the buggy. I've seen them withstand just as much if not more abuse than other "high end" kits. handling is pretty good too.
so you broke an a arm? not bad...coulda been much worse.

Back