MGT 8.0 probs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitt51

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a new MGT that has been pretty much broken in because the truck was too hard to get moving with the manufacturers suggested carb settings (they have literature included with the truck and online, everything was wrong as per their customer service). The truck is running a lil better although the temps from the motor are always 280 plus, no matter how rich the truck is. Customer service says that its a bad carb so have sent another one for a replacement. Hope it helps. Main question is, how fast should this truck run in reverse as opposed to forward? This truck that i have hauls @ss in reverse. Even changes into second gear in reverse. Forward is very weak in comparison. Radar gave 34 MPH in reverse and 21 in forward. Customer service says that the truck just needs more tuning (i dont believe that) What could be the problem with this new truck? I think that I'm leaning towards trying to exchange for a new one as i have paid too much money for nothing but problems so far.

I have a new MGT that has been pretty much broken in because the truck was too hard to get moving with the manufacturers suggested carb settings (they have literature included with the truck and online, everything was wrong as per their customer service). The truck is running a lil better although the temps from the motor are always 280 plus, no matter how rich the truck is. Customer service says that its a bad carb so have sent another one for a replacement. Hope it helps. Main question is, how fast should this truck run in reverse as opposed to forward? This truck that i have hauls @ss in reverse. Even changes into second gear in reverse. Forward is very weak in comparison. Radar gave 34 MPH in reverse and 21 in forward. Customer service says that the truck just needs more tuning (i dont believe that) What could be the problem with this new truck? I think that I'm leaning towards trying to exchange for a new one as i have paid too much money for nothing but problems so far.

have you sealed your motor? chances are this is the problem. also the MGT comes with a two speed tranny and if its not shifting into second, thats the problem with speed. how long have you had the truck? did you change anything after you took it out of the box or did you leave it the same? all of these would be helpful for solving you problems. no sense in getting an exchange if you may have the same problems due to improper setup.

have you sealed your motor? chances are this is the problem. also the MGT comes with a two speed tranny and if its not shifting into second, thats the problem with speed. how long have you had the truck? did you change anything after you took it out of the box or did you leave it the same? all of these would be helpful for solving you problems. no sense in getting an exchange if you may have the same problems due to improper setup.

Hey thanks for the reply. Out of the box nothing was changed. Havent sealed the motor. Didnt know that i needed to do that. I think that i was thinking that this was more RTR than anything else lol. I am fairly familiar with the tuning and after run procedures and things. I have always had mostly traxxas, a few other trucks that barely got run time. The temps have always been hot from the first tank of fuel. I let the motor idle thru the first two tanks. How would i go about sealing the motor? I was looking for some rubber sealant or gaskets for the carb. Amazing thing happened today tho. I starte leaning on the HSN and the truck caught second gear. Temps in the 300 and the thing never shut off on me thru a full tank. I figured the temps were from a lean condition, but thought for sure that the motor would have been well from the factory. There is plenty of bluish smoke from the exhaust and even still spittin fuel when at idle. So i know that i have decent lubrication going on.

Don't worry to much about the high temps on that engine, i had one and it always ran perfect at about 320+*. Anywhere lower and it has no power because it flooded itself. I never had a problem with it and ran many gallons through it before i sold it. As long as you have a nice stream of blue smoke, don't worry about it. it's just the way those 8.0's run.

And i'm not the only person that agrees with this, i have 2 more local guys that have noticed the same thing

Don't worry to much about the high temps on that engine, i had one and it always ran perfect at about 320+*. Anywhere lower and it has no power because it flooded itself. I never had a problem with it and ran many gallons through it before i sold it. As long as you have a nice stream of blue smoke, don't worry about it. it's just the way those 8.0's run.

And i'm not the only person that agrees with this, i have 2 more local guys that have noticed the same thing

Wow i for sure thought that i was gonna burn this thing up. So what about the engine sealing? What do i look for when leaning for performance on this thing. My tmaxx is all good at about 220 degrees. I have a twin titan and the motors are good around 200-220 degrees. Hyper 7 that is all good around 200 and a savage that is around 225. Guess i just have to be more diverse lol. I am running Blue thunder 20 percent nitro (just about all there is around here). Would i be okay expeimenting with different plugs such as a cold one? Since this one is running better i think that i may have to try another one also lol. What hop up parts are there for this truck? I can't seem to find anything. I'm looking for the pro line shocks for it but no joy. Will the Tmaxx parts fit this truck?

Wow i for sure thought that i was gonna burn this thing up. So what about the engine sealing? What do i look for when leaning for performance on this thing. My tmaxx is all good at about 220 degrees. I have a twin titan and the motors are good around 200-220 degrees. Hyper 7 that is all good around 200 and a savage that is around 225. Guess i just have to be more diverse lol. I am running Blue thunder 20 percent nitro (just about all there is around here). Would i be okay expeimenting with different plugs such as a cold one? Since this one is running better i think that i may have to try another one also lol. What hop up parts are there for this truck? I can't seem to find anything. I'm looking for the pro line shocks for it but no joy. Will the Tmaxx parts fit this truck?

these run really hot at first 260 -280 degrees is where you want to be.as far as engine sealing get some permatex ultra copper silicone and remove carb and seal that.how many gallons have you gone thru.this thing really comes alive around the first gallon.have you messed with the mixture screw?should be 1 full turn from close.used mccoy mc-59 plugs high speed should be 2 1/2 turns out from close and low speed 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 turn from close. and a nova cooling head helps.the best thing i ever did for that motor (cause it is a heli motor) was to port and polish and do the crank.temps are low,idles perfect twice the run time on one tank and killer power about 50% more on low end and about 1000 more rpm.i get 6 gallons of byrons gen2 before my motor needs anything besides plugs.as for parts ebay,new era racing.com.oh yeah 40 series and tires make a world of a diff.

these run really hot at first 260 -280 degrees is where you want to be.as far as engine sealing get some permatex ultra copper silicone and remove carb and seal that.how many gallons have you gone thru.this thing really comes alive around the first gallon.have you messed with the mixture screw?should be 1 full turn from close.used mccoy mc-59 plugs high speed should be 2 1/2 turns out from close and low speed 6 1/2 to 6 3/4 turn from close. and a nova cooling head helps.the best thing i ever did for that motor (cause it is a heli motor) was to port and polish and do the crank.temps are low,idles perfect twice the run time on one tank and killer power about 50% more on low end and about 1000 more rpm.i get 6 gallons of byrons gen2 before my motor needs anything besides plugs.as for parts ebay,new era racing.com.oh yeah 40 series and tires make a world of a diff.

Wow 260-280 is still pretty hot. Maybe I'm just used to the smaller engines. So the sealing of the engine is basically just sealing the carb from the extra air right? I havent had but about 10-15 tanks through the truck at this time. Maybe a little more. I have reset and reset the mixture screws to what was supposed to be a factory setting. But between their website and literature that was provided with the truck, i dont think that they really had a decent idea where the needles needed to be set. What is your altitude and general temp where you are at? I may try and experiment with your settings (couldnt hurt). I will also look into a nova cooling head. I running the Blue thunder 20 because i couldnt get ahold of any Byrons. I also have a gallon of sidewinder but heard that it was fairly crappy. I think I'm gonna try it anyway. Maybe that will help. My plug as been looking good since i first started the engine. I think that i will also try and experiment with the different heat range plugs.

its all about sealing the engine. my bros traxxas 3.3 would run at 400 degrees with the hsn 7 turns out. he sealed it and now it runs awesome (from no wheelies to wheelies) with the temps where they should be at 250 and the needle only 3 turns out.... anyone that says one of these nitro engines can run perfect at 320+ is wrong. My bros truck did the same thing smoked and all but i can promise you, you will smoke that engine running it like that. seal it up and have an engine that runs awesome at 250 vs 320. there is a vid on here somewhere about how to do it.. you seal the carb and the backplate along with the pinch bolt that holds the carb

Last edited:
its all about sealing the engine. my bros traxxas 3.3 would run at 400 degrees with the hsn 7 turns out. he sealed it and now it runs awesome (from no wheelies to wheelies) with the temps where they should be at 250 and the needle only 3 turns out.... anyone that says one of these nitro engines can run perfect at 320+ is wrong. My bros truck did the same thing smoked and all but i can promise you, you will smoke that engine running it like that. seal it up and have an engine that runs awesome at 250 vs 320. there is a vid on here somewhere about how to do it.. you seal the carb and the backplate along with the pinch bolt that holds the carb

Had some time on my hands tonight so i finally got around to sealing the engine. I think ill try and give it a shot tomorrow. I did the back plate, the base of the carb, and all 3 needles along with the pinch bolt using some copper gasket former. I guess ill work on the twin titan next. Just for fun. I think that I'm about to sell the twin titan and get another MGT if this engine sealing works in my favor.

OK so i finally have the motor sealed, i have just started the truck at around the stock needle settings and the thing is really actin up. Wouldn't idle so i changed the plug. Idles great now. But as soon as i give it a slight amount of throttle input it goes stupid. It acts as if the trucks receiver is on but the radio isn't. So i changed to some fresh batteries and still the same symptom is there. I'm really lost on this one. Its running fairly rich as i have plenty of smoke and some fuel out of the pipe. What is it that i need to be looking for?

Try leaning out your LSN a little at a time and running it slowly in a couple of circles before leaning it any more. Keep an eye on the temp.

Try leaning out your LSN a little at a time and running it slowly in a couple of circles before leaning it any more. Keep an eye on the temp.

Before i checked the post i ended up richening the LSN and it seems to have worked. But then i started thinking, if i richened it up then that means i still possibly have an air leak somewhere on the motor or the carb correct? I also changed the glow plug to an MC8 which is a colder plug i think. Just experimenting a lil bit tho.

Before i checked the post i ended up richening the LSN and it seems to have worked. But then i started thinking, if i richened it up then that means i still possibly have an air leak somewhere on the motor or the carb correct? I also changed the glow plug to an MC8 which is a colder plug i think. Just experimenting a lil bit tho.

IT HAS BEEN AWHILE, JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF YOU EVER FIXED YOUR PROBLEM??? SOUNDS TO ME YOUR AIR MIXING SCREW IS OUT OF WHACK.I KNOW A&E SAYS 1 TURN FROM CLOSED.THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO TAKE THE AIR FILTER OFF LOOK STRAIGHT DOWN IN THE CARB(carb must be fully open,full thottle.as you are looking in carb turn the air mixture screw as you are turning the screw you can see in the carb the needle moves.turn the air mixture screw till the hole matches perfect(should be able to see straight thru, needle is not int the way) start truck, should run alot better if not,while engine is running fine tune the air mixture screw,just barely, i mean barely.(very touchy)turn the screw.either clockwise or counter clockwise untill it sounds like chewy from starwars is gone.lol hope this works for you!

IT HAS BEEN AWHILE, JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF YOU EVER FIXED YOUR PROBLEM??? SOUNDS TO ME YOUR AIR MIXING SCREW IS OUT OF WHACK.I KNOW A&E SAYS 1 TURN FROM CLOSED.THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO TAKE THE AIR FILTER OFF LOOK STRAIGHT DOWN IN THE CARB(carb must be fully open,full thottle.as you are looking in carb turn the air mixture screw as you are turning the screw you can see in the carb the needle moves.turn the air mixture screw till the hole matches perfect(should be able to see straight thru, needle is not int the way) start truck, should run alot better if not,while engine is running fine tune the air mixture screw,just barely, i mean barely.(very touchy)turn the screw.either clockwise or counter clockwise untill it sounds like chewy from starwars is gone.lol hope this works for you!

I've just started to drive the truck again. I've been tuning little by little and have no been able to have the truck idle around 270-300. Seems to be running great besides the heat. Still havent bought a nova cooling head for it just yet. Have to shop around. But the thing is finally pulling decent wheelies lol. I'm just about to upgrade the shocks and a arms. Seems hard to find the upgrades for this truck though.

I've had the same prob with the 8.0 getting hot , sealed her up good and tuned it a bit rich still gets about 300 but run's good with lots of power then I added a coolling fine from a old radio and got the temp down to 280
016.jpg

013-1-1.jpg

Hi, I'm having a very annoying issue. The truck starts but only after I prime it up with a few pumps. Then it dies in a few seconds. Seems like right after the fuel that was pumped into the carb is burnt the truck dies. It's spits out plenty of oil and smoke. I've tried leaning it out and adjusting all three needles but no luck to keep it running for more then 10 seconds. Any suggestions please?

Hi, I'm having a very annoying issue. The truck starts but only after I prime it up with a few pumps. Then it dies in a few seconds. Seems like right after the fuel that was pumped into the carb is burnt the truck dies. It's spits out plenty of oil and smoke. I've tried leaning it out and adjusting all three needles but no luck to keep it running for more then 10 seconds. Any suggestions please?
I would suggest you start a new thread of your very own instead of posting your problem at the bottom of a 3 year old post. This thread doesn't even relate to your problem.

Back