Xmaxx combo’s out there

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With everything completely stock in my Xmaxx temps would easily hit over 120-140 on the motor and esc pretty quickly. Stock gearing / stock tires as well.
Hey! maybe he likes to crawl with his xmaxx!! :cool:😂

Hey! maybe he likes to crawl with his xmaxx!! :cool:😂
Could be driving style that’s for sure. Also ambient outside temps could play a factor. It gets very hot where I live in the summer time.

I'm a little late since the OP already bought an esc but I like sharing my experiences so ..... The max 6 will work fine on the factory motor but not much difference in power vs. The factory traxxas esc.

I wouldn't pair the max 6 to their 1100kv in the xmaxx unless you like the smell of burnt esc. Ask me how I know :)

If you want to run anything other than the factory motor, Max 5 is a safe choice. It will easily push the 800kv and 1100kv HW cans as long as you gear correctly.

That being said, the castle XLX2 is far superior to the max5. Although complete overkill for an Xmaxx, temp is never an issue, regardless of gearing and ambient Temps. Castle's warranty is far better than hobbywings as well. Free replacement for a year and half price for 2 more years. Castle also offers trade ins. For $160 and your factory traxxas esc, working or not, you can get a brand new XLX2.

You can connect the XLX2 to your PC to make adjustments, or add the castle b.link and connect with your phone via Bluetooth to make adjustments on the fly which I find to be a very valuable feature. The castle software is far more detailed and the data logs are great if your into that sort of thing.

All of the above mentioned components I've personally used and abused. I'm currently running the XLX2 with the hobbywing 1100kv on a variety of mod 1.5 gearing and its flawless. I've never seen esc temp exceed 120, even on a 100 degree day.

I can't say enough good about Castle. Their headquarters is less than an hour drive from me so warranty is quick and easy. I've killed 3 XLX2s, all were my fault, and they warrantied them all at no cost. Great bunch of people.

The first one smoked because I was using XT90's. The castle tech explained it better than I can but basically, connectors that can't flow enough current to keep up with the esc causes a rapid overheating condition on the board. I check temps pretty frequently and never saw the esc get over 110 but within 5 min of a temp check, it smoked. I temp checked motor, lipos, connectors right after and nothing else was hot.

The other 2 I broke jumping big ramps. After the first one burned up, I switched to qs8's. Great connectors but it didn't occur to me that their really heavy compared to XT90's. On hard landings, the weight of the connector shifting ripped the post off the esc. I was running one on an outcast and one on an Xmaxx. The first one broke and I thought the esc must have been defective somehow so I started jumping the outcast and it did the same thing. I've since secured the connectors to the chassis and no more issues. Stupid mistake on my part and I'm grateful to Castle for covering my stupidity.

Xlx2 definitely better performance wise but man are they not durable. I've had one blow up and two never turn on again for no reason. castle support also says some stupid stuff sometimes. At one point they told me my stock gearing was too high for what's supposed to be the best esc on the market. They do seem to replace stuff more than hobbywing will though. High chance hobbywing will blame you while castle will replace at least once before they start blaming lol.

At the time I was running mod 1 20/50 which seemed pretty conservative considering my motor temps were pretty low, 120-130ish at the end of the packs. I've since switched to mod 1.5.

It was, and still is, the 5687. Tough motor. I'm very impressed. It's been fed by Xlx2's since I smoked the max 6 and seems to handle it very well.

Tires were belted duratrax six packs. Seem to be a pretty good tire. Haven't blown them up yet.

The packs at the time were gensacearespammers bashers and some poor quality Zee's. Don't remember which of the two were in it at the time of failure. All of which have since been replaced by liperior's.

At the time I was running mod 1 20/50 which seemed pretty conservative considering my motor temps were pretty low, 120-130ish at the end of the packs. I've since switched to mod 1.5.

It was, and still is, the 5687. Tough motor. I'm very impressed. It's been fed by Xlx2's since I smoked the max 6 and seems to handle it very well.

Tires were belted duratrax six packs. Seem to be a pretty good tire. Haven't blown them up yet.

The packs at the time were gensacearespammers bashers and some poor quality Zee's. Don't remember which of the two were in it at the time of failure. All of which have since been replaced by liperior's.
Thanks for the info. Seems pretty low for the 1100kv. 21/50 is what I killed the stock motor with (1200xl/1275kv) and stock tires.

At one time I went 24/50 but it seemed to be too much. I don't usually run high speed with the Xmaxx, just jumping, general bashing.

Back