WoodiE's Stampede 4x4 build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
There has always been something about the old Stampede's that always got my attention. Just a basic little truck that could. Well this build was going to start with just that a basic little Stampede and work from there. However the LHS made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the 4x4 version and so that's how this build starts, well along with a few extra goodies...

stampede-project.jpg

To start I've collected the following items:

• Stampede 4x4 VXL
  • Mamba Max Pro ESC
  • Castle 1410 3800kv 5.5mm shaft brushless motor
  • RPM Front / Rear A-arms
  • RPM Front / Rear shock towers
  • King Headz aluminum motor mount
  • King Headz bearing spacer
  • Snappy RC MMP mount
  • STRC motor plate
  • Traxxas clear gear cover
  • Futaba R2104GF receiver

The first thing I've done this evening was removed everything from the the chassis including the front and rear ends and then dyed the chassis black, from the stock gray color.

stampede-dyed.jpg

It just fully dried shortly ago and I did install the King Headz motor mount and as well as the gear and drive shaft covers and radio box. I'm waiting on my pinion gear to arrive so I didn't want to mount the motor yet.

stampede-chassis-1.jpg

Next up is the rear shock tower and a-arms, I might post more tonight or sometime tomorrow.

I'll update as I get more done and more parts continue to come in. :D

Nice parts list @WoodiE. I love build threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
:alarm: Holy crap Woodie, I thought you just answered people's questions. You actually started an RC related thread....and a build at that. I'm gonna have to stay off for a little while, I can't handle all of these shenanigans. I mean hell, Rolex actually talked about running a truck...and I'm pretty sure he was talking about using real nitro fuel, not just pushing it around. :OMG:

Try to stay calm Schrode, till we get more information. He might be just doing the photos for someone else.

Ok, I'll hold off on the meds for now......I swear though, if I smell nitro on your post Rolex, I popping them:chillpill

Subscribed! I think a stampede is going to be my next purchase, if I can get permission from the wife. Apparently 3 is to many already even after I've showed her how many people on here and other forums I'm on have. I think I have a better chance with the HPI trophy truggy flux since I don't have a truggy already and I do have a mt already.

@SchrodeMode you're crazy man. Don't flip out yet, it's not done yet. ;)

New tires, body, and pinion gear should be in today at the LHS. :D

Last edited:
I mean hell, Rolex actually talked about running a truck...and I'm pretty sure he was talking about using real nitro fuel, not just pushing it around. :OMG:

ROFLMAO!!!

Looking good Woodie, I'm gonna keep my eye on this build! The stampede looks like it would be a nice little basher :D

@WoodiE I can't tell in the pic, you running 3s?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting the Stampede with a 2S 5000mAh lipo. I'm hoping that it and the 3800 brushless motor won't disintegrate the axles like a 3S does as I haven't updated them yet.

sweet looking build Woodie ! can't wait to watch the progress !

Sounds like a set of MIP axles will be on order soon running with that setup. :thumbup:

Very. VERY jelous! I thought about getting a 4x4 pede. Ill b watching this build!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Well some more goodies were delivered to the LHS today and I was able to make some good progress on the Stampede this evening.
  • Set of Trencher Tires, mounted on Desperado Black Wheels
  • Proline Chevy 2500 HD body

Front end complete with RPM a-arms and shock towers
stampede-front-complete.jpg

Rear end complete also with RPM a-arms and shock towers
stampede-rear-complete.jpg

I also did a little "mod" if you will, to the hole at the front of the chassis that allows the driveshaft to connect the front end to the spur gear. I placed a piece of Velcro (fuzzy side) to the chassis with a hole in the center to allow the shaft to come through. The stock hole is much larger than need be and I can see this letting rocks and debris to enter.

stampede-shaft-mod.jpg

stampede-shaft-mod-2.jpg

Front and rear attached to the chassis again
stampede-chassis-top.jpg

Side shot with wheels and tires installed
stampede-chassis-side.jpg

Still waiting on the pinion gear which should be in sometime this week then I'll install the electronics.

Like you can sit there and tell me that dont look like a fresh batch of lil curleys.