Wireless Home Network setup?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImBroken

Still Lurking...
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys I need your help... lol I'm looking to buy a nice Wireless Home Networking setup. I'm running a Cable modem.
I'd like to have a good signal throughout the house. My main comp is "wired", and I need to have wireless for 2 notebooks. If possible, I'd like to be able to print from the notebooks also. The printer is "wired" to the main comp.
The wife is getting on my case about dropping signals in certain rooms...
Any advice on a nice setup/package?

You could always just setup another AP to act as a repeater which would increase your wireless signal.

Depending on how your printer is "wired" you can setup the laptops to print to that printer regardless if the main computer is on or not. In any case just a simple printer sharing will do fine as well.

-Michael

do u currently have any wireless hardware installed. it sounded like u do since u said "The wife is getting on my case about dropping signals in certain rooms..." Printing to the 'wired' printer from a wireless laptop is not a problem. u just need to add the "wired" printer to the laptops, then set it as your network default

Make your wife wear a tinfoil hat while shes on the laptop.
Walla! No more dropped signals. Works well for me.

I've had nothing but problems with my Linksys so I would recommend flushing you money down the toilet before purchasing any of thier poop. Their forum is about as useless as the Traxxas forum if you need help and God forbid you bash the product. I'm kinda stuck with what I have cause of VOIP.

do u currently have any wireless hardware installed. it sounded like u do since u said "The wife is getting on my case about dropping signals in certain rooms..." Printing to the 'wired' printer from a wireless laptop is not a problem. u just need to add the "wired" printer to the laptops, then set it as your network default

I currently have:

Linksys WRT54GS (Wireless G Broadband Router)
Linksys WAP54G (Wireless Access Point)

I didn't set them up, and the WEP keys are long gone.. lol
After talking with Woodie for a bit, I'm going to try and figure out how to "Reset" them and start over. At this point, I'm not even sure that there working together. For all I know, I could be connecting to my neighbors network... lol I guess it's time I figured out this networking crap..
After resetting it all up, If my signals dont improve, I'll pick up another "repeater/access point" as suggested... I'll let you guys know how I make out..
Thanks for all the help guys..

You could always use a pringles can and turn it into an antenna, that or get rid of the wife...nagging stopped! :D

-Michael

Can-tenna is a good idea. To reset them, take a paperclip and press the reset button (in a tiny hole in the back) until the router powers off and resets. That will reset it to factory.

I setup a Linksys WRT54G in my mothers 3 story house and another one in my sister's NYC apt. They both work well, I used 64 bit WEP on both.

I currently have:

Linksys WRT54GS (Wireless G Broadband Router)
Linksys WAP54G (Wireless Access Point)

I didn't set them up, and the WEP keys are long gone.. lol
After talking with Woodie for a bit, I'm going to try and figure out how to "Reset" them and start over. At this point, I'm not even sure that there working together. For all I know, I could be connecting to my neighbors network... lol I guess it's time I figured out this networking crap..
After resetting it all up, If my signals dont improve, I'll pick up another "repeater/access point" as suggested... I'll let you guys know how I make out..
Thanks for all the help guys..

I know your WEP..... i am the one who set em LOL

if you hold in the reset button on the back of router and access point for 20 sec they will go back to defalt setting and they should be username admin pass admin if i remember right. or no user name and admin as the pass and you go to 127.168.1.1 to config them

After Reset -> Leave the user name blank, password = admin
Router IP = 192.168.1.1

Last night I disconnected the access point completely, and reset the wired router. I used a nice tutorial from a guru friend of mine to secure my network.
Signal from this router is weak in my back bedroom. I was thinking of using the access point in that room. Will I have to wire this AP to the router to make it work? I'm not quite sure I know how this would work...

What I would do is take the WAP54G and move it to the desired area of the house. Run a network cable from the WAP54G back to the WRT54GS. The access point will grab an IP from the router which should be running DHCP. From there you just need to configure the access point with the correct info.

For your printer I would suggest a Linksys WPS54GU2 Wireless-G PrintServer for USB 2.0 This will move the printer from main computer and move it as a stand alone so any computer will be able to access it.