Why is it so hard to get tires?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnFabRC

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Nearly every time I go to order tires they’ll have rears but not fronts or fronts but not rears or not the right compound.

I hope it’s because the hobby is growing and manufacturers didn’t anticipate the demand. But I have a feeling that it’s more like racers stocking up for the season and being greedy.

I understand your tiredness and the treading it's doing on you. 🤣

On a serious note the universe lined up to with the stars and whatnot at the right angle and it picked you to screw with. Same thing happened to me yesterday.

Good luck on your tire endeavor.

Not all brands of tires have stock issues, you didn't specify what class, but I'm going to assume 1/10 2WD Buggy

Consider RawSpeed who generally does a good job keeping all their inventory in stock:
https://rawspeedrc.com/tires/1-10-tires-with-inserts/

There will be exceptions depending on time of year and large race events where inventory may get low as the flood of orders come in as racers prep for a big event. I always try to plan ahead so I've got at least 6 weeks of tires to keep me going between large orders where I typically order tires maybe 2-3 times a year

Not all brands of tires have stock issues, you didn't specify what class, but I'm going to assume 1/10 2WD Buggy

Consider RawSpeed who generally does a good job keeping all their inventory in stock:
https://rawspeedrc.com/tires/1-10-tires-with-inserts/

There will be exceptions depending on time of year and large race events where inventory may get low as the flood of orders come in as racers prep for a big event. I always try to plan ahead so I've got at least 6 weeks of tires to keep me going between large orders where I typically order tires maybe 2-3 times a year
I actually do run raw speed for most stuff. But JC sprinters in green are the hot ticket for my “local” outdoor track. 1/10 4wd buggy. I run radars when the blue groove starts to appear late in the day but early on when it’s still dusty the sprinters are king. My T6.4 has raw speed carpet tires on it for now. And the mini truggy has radars that are just dying to hit the dirt! 😂 Truck tires have been pretty easy to come by. It’s always the wheeler that I have trouble with.

The other one is I run black DE racing wheels on everything. They broke the injection mold for AE 4wd fronts back in October and they’re still on back order. When I spoke to him on the phone he told my the new mold was in the works, but it’s taking an awful long time. I managed to scoop up as many as I could find but I’d still like to get a few more. I actually got a set from Larry at hobby action in az. I’ve been told I can run TLR fronts but I have to get different offset hexes. I don’t really want to play that game if I don’t have to.

JConcepts is notorious for being out of stock, simply because they are extremely popular.

Have you tried saucing the RawSpeed tires?

I have found that PB Blaster on SLW is a great combo for outdoor tracks, their Gumball compound is the shiz with PB Blaster too!

I have been recycling my wheels and inserts lately.

I cut old treads and run my used inserts for all pin tires (or SS compounds) and only run new inserts on the bar tires (in gumball).

I soak the wheels in acetone overnight and the beads peel off effortlessly the next day.

JConcepts is notorious for being out of stock, simply because they are extremely popular.

Have you tried saucing the RawSpeed tires?

I have found that PB Blaster on SLW is a great combo for outdoor tracks, their Gumball compound is the shiz with PB Blaster too!

I have been recycling my wheels and inserts lately.

I cut old treads and run my used inserts for all pin tires (or SS compounds) and only run new inserts on the bar tires (in gumball).

I soak the wheels in acetone overnight and the beads peel off effortlessly the next day.
I’ve not really done any saucing. I do have a ton of pb blaster though. Not sure what SLW is either.

When carpet season is over (tomorrow is my last race) I plan to soak my carpet wheels and get the used up tires off. That’ll free up two sets for the wheeler.

Maybe I’ll hit the raw speed site after payday and grab some stuff. Still a few weeks before the season opener.

SLW = Soft Long Wear compound, it's their second hardest compound and it reacts extremely well with PB Blaster to get amazing grip that rivals JC tires.

I spray PB Blaster into an empty shock bottle or you can buy one that comes with the perfect applicator like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079W7GWGP

PB Blaster is very stanky, you don't need to apply very much, just a couple drops on a toothbrush then brush onto the tire, by the time you cover the entire circumference, it should by dry. If it's dripping wet then you're using way too much sauce.

Clean your tires with Simple Green allowing enough time for the rubber to dry and apply the sauce anywhere from 2-10 min before the race.

Back