why do I keep tearing up steering servos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been running a hitec metal gear servo for 2 years now and have had a any trouble until just recently. A few months ago I tore gears out of it. So I replaced the gears and it worked fine for about 6 runs. Then it just took a poop. would do anything! so I ordered a traxxas high torque 2075. It lasted 10 min and the gears stripped on the first little jump I took! So I got a used, plastic gear Hitec from my buddy that owns the LHS. It worked, but took a poop in about five minutes. Thinking maybe my servo saver had something wrong with it, I just replaced it! another guy at the track gave me a stock tmaxx servo and guess what! It took a poop! Gears stripped just racing around an oval!

So I packed up, went home and ordered another Hitec hs645mg. it's on the way! I really don't want this to happen to my new servo! Could there be something causing this to happen that I don't know about? What the hell? Anyone?:\

I've been running a hitec metal gear servo for 2 years now and have had a any trouble until just recently. A few months ago I tore gears out of it. So I replaced the gears and it worked fine for about 6 runs. Then it just took a poop. would do anything! so I ordered a traxxas high torque 2075. It lasted 10 min and the gears stripped on the first little jump I took! So I got a used, plastic gear Hitec from my buddy that owns the LHS. It worked, but took a poop in about five minutes. Thinking maybe my servo saver had something wrong with it, I just replaced it! another guy at the track gave me a stock tmaxx servo and guess what! It took a poop! Gears stripped just racing around an oval!

So I packed up, went home and ordered another Hitec hs645mg. it's on the way! I really don't want this to happen to my new servo! Could there be something causing this to happen that I don't know about? What the hell? Anyone?:\

either the servo saver or maybe the servo is turning to far one way or both ways? the more load you put on it without the stress of driving it will weaken it greatly.

either the servo saver or maybe the servo is turning to far one way or both ways? the more load you put on it without the stress of driving it will weaken it greatly.

Yeah, I was thinking I would set the stop points earlier with my traxxas link.

But, Should it even take a metal gear servo to handle the stress? Or should plastic hold up?

sounds like the EPA is off allowing it to try and go past full lock in one or both directions..

If you have a stock radio, you can't. You have to adjust it mechanically so at full wheel lock left/right on the transmitter doesn't result in a mechanical lock on the truck. Mounting the tie-rod from the servo to the steering arm closer to the output shaft of the servo will effectively make it mechanically shorter when going full left/right. That's about the only think you can do to limit how far it will push the wheels.

If you have a digital radio (one with a screen on it), then you should be able to find EPA/Travel adjustments in the menus somewhere.

EPA can be done with stock traxxas link 2.4ghz as well.

Back