Who's got VISTA?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I was on this site, putting pics in a thread when suddenly I got dropped off line, saw the Vista screen and the note that said something like "Windows is restarting to install new updates." WHAT? No warning? No choice? No chance to save what I was doing?
When it was all over and rebooted, I checked and it was an update for window's media center. No biggy, but the install took the computer out of my control.
So, who knows where I can change the settings for update download or installs so that this doesn't happen again.
It also seems to have killed my internet hot keys. I had to put RCNT into google to get back here.

Total loss of control of your PC is a "feature." MS owns you now. They control the horizontal, they control the vertical...

No offense but Vista at work pisses me off. The new security feature are not the same as I am used to on my XP system. My laptop I am on now is nice. I would look into Microsofts website to do some checking in to. I will see what I can find out as well.

Can you go to your control panel, click on automatic updates and it should give you the options your looking for. We just got my MOM a new pc with vista and I think thats how it's done.

I actually have recently "FIRED " Microsoft for these very features.

Rolex you can change the settings in what used to be the control panel......tell it to just advise you about the updates and let you decide when to install them.

I was a Microsoft Partner until September ...I refused to renew my subscription after the VISTA release and MS in thier wisdom pushed an update past the updater and restarted my SERVER......the update proceeded to break several of the websites that I host and cost me two days time to get it all back in order.

The next day I get a cease and desist order from Microsoft telling my that since I did not renew my subscription I would need to uninstall all MS software and provide proof of its destruction.

(BTW I ordered a fresh HP super fast server and loaded it up with LINUX and I am switching the whole enterprise over as we speak.)

I put all of the Microsoft software in a box and set it up for target practice on my range and had at it with my 12 gauge.......two boxes of shells later.....satisfaction.

I then sent MS all of the pieces addressed to Steve and Bill with a note asking them to kindly create software that works and to quit sending their code into the market untested and full of bugs. And oh yea stop trying copy Apple....they actually CAN innovate....have you seen the commercials?

I have yet to hear from them. but Rolex...the 12 gauge thing worked really good for my stress level ..;)

Last edited:
You ought to send them the bill for the shotgun shells, and any alcohol consumed during the target practice session.

I personally will NEVER touch Vista; I've had calls from clients asking advice on whether or not to use it; I tell them that they're better off with Windows XP, since XP will be "alive" for a few more years.

I've had no problems with my vista, and I've been running it since feb.

Rolex I had the same thing as you, and now it just tells me when the updates are ready to install and I tell it when to go. I belive you can set a time for them to be installed...so it can do what it needs to do like at 3am instead of right when its ready.

I'll check into the control panel.
I have 2 other comps, one with XP, and one with 98SE. I still prefer 98. Minimum bugs and glitches.
This is the first major irritation I've had with Vista. Plenty of small ones.

I know our IT guys at work formatted the drives of 30 laptops (or cloned them) back to XP. They came with vista as a "mistake" and we needed them too quickly to deal with sending them back and getting XP.

Vista was just too buggy with all the software our company makes... I guess we will deal with the bridge of going to vista (or whatever the next pile of crap MS churns out is) when the time comes.

I just recently had a lot of trouble with Microsoft and Vista- shortly before I decided Bill Gates was really a Cuban Communist who had a nasty habit of stepping on puppies' heads. I used Vista for all of about ten minutes- then gave the copy to a friend of mine at work. A fresh install of Linux later and things are MUCH better.

I read an article the other day about the companies that have completely ignored vista and stayed with XP- it's a good choice. Vista is broken, Hard to use and essentially useless if you need any kind of stability to work with.

I read an article the other day about the companies that have completely ignored vista and stayed with XP

At first when Vista came out you had no choice of OS when you purchased a computer from one of the big boys. Their sales dropped like a rock. They caught on quick and now offer XP as an option.

The same is said about Office 2008. Dont get me wrong its a great program but its so different that businesses are staying away from it due to the learning curve. The lost productivity time to figure it out has cost several large companies many millions of dollars.

I'm sure given time Vista will be all that and more. Let the other schmucks beta it for a year or two.

I had no choice. It was OEM with the new comp. Lots of small irritants with their new security measures, but at the same time, pretty useless. Constantly having to do things as the administrator, and provide permission, even with something as simple as adding or removing an icon from the desk top.

I went to the control panel yesterday, and found it still set to their default of checking for, and installing updates every day at 6 PM. Now it can check, but I tell it when to download and install. I just can't believe that it gave me NO warning or options to save my work when it shut down to install.

My internet hot keys returned after a reboot.

I run both Vista and XP on various machines. I agree that Vista is a piece of excrement. If they offered XP for my laptop i would take it. I compress my DVDs to use on my iPod and I have had more problems getting the software to work on Vista. I still have problems getting iTunes to work properly. I am soooo tempted to go back to Windows 2000 it's not funny.

This happens EVERY time MS puts out a new OS. They have nothing but problems and complaints, they add umpteen patches, and in a few years when it's running right and everyone is happy....they release a new one.

I bought my last computer OEM with XP, and it was a month before XP was available. THAT was a nightmare. I couldn't get support from HP or MS till the release date.

Back