Which would you rather build and why?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratonwatch

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I’m kicking around the idea of saving for a new 1/5th project. I really love both of these cars and would want to make either one 8s powered, possibly 12s if need be.

Id love all the feedback you’re willing to give about which car you’d choose

HPI Baja 5B self built kit
Kraken Vesla.5 self build kit.

Thanks!

@Tunedfrog has a 5b. It looks amazing. Pretty sure someone on here also had a Kraken but idk who.

If I had to choose a bigger car to build, Losi 5T or a DXLE. Or anything from Primal RC. (Obviously if "money" and space isn't a issue)

Losi 5T because of the short course truck look. I used to watch RC Knockout on YouTube and I think he 8s converted his. And also, its Losi so if I went in to my hobby shop, they should have parts, or get parts for me. I am a bigger person on supporting local shops (if you have them around in your area). Other than that, I do order online, mostly AMain, Jennys RC, and AbsoluteHobbyz.

The Primal RC Raminator is a beast. Kevin Talbot has one. RCSparks studio has one. looks cool. But super duper heavy.

With me and my current situation, I really can't go big/large scale. I'd like to stick with standard 10th scale, or Mini cars due to money and space. I probably have space for 1 more car (most likely a Mini car or touring car) before I am out of room where I keep my RCs. Lol.

Last edited:
@Tunedfrog has a 5b. It looks amazing. Pretty sure someone on here also had a Kraken but idk who.

If I had to choose a bigger car to build, Losi 5T or a DXLE. Or anything from Primal RC. (Obviously if "money" and space isn't a issue)

Losi 5T because of the short course truck look. I used to watch RC Knockout on YouTube and I think he 8s converted his. And also, its Losi so if I went in to my hobby shop, they should have parts, or get parts for me. I am a bigger person on supporting local shops (if you have them around in your area). Other than that, I do order online, mostly AMain, Jennys RC, and AbsoluteHobbyz.

The Primal RC Raminator is a beast. Kevin Talbot has one. RCSparks studio has one. looks cool. But super duper heavy.

With me and my current situation, I really can't go big/large scale. I'd like to stick with standard 10th scale, or Mini cars due to money and space. I probably have space for 1 more car (most likely a Mini car or touring car) before I am out of room where I keep my RCs. Lol.
Ehhhh just rent a storage unit. I keep all mine underground in a bunker

I’m kicking around the idea of saving for a new 1/5th project. I really love both of these cars and would want to make either one 8s powered, possibly 12s if need be.

Id love all the feedback you’re willing to give about which car you’d choose

HPI Baja 5B self built kit
Kraken Vesla.5 self build kit.

Thanks!
I have two 5Bs, they are fun but I wish I had the Kraken with a Taylor engine.

neither.just to big .and 10 years ago saw a 5b loose radio signal with no killswitch scream about a 1/4 mile thru this field in Monroe and broke a 5 year old legs and then Thru chain link fence into a parked car.so ill pass

just seen to many Moronic things in my RC carrier.. from a guy saying he knows what he is doing as he cuts the connector on a 3 cell lipo.seen a small puff of smoke.and many many more

Last edited:
I wonder what tx/rx run aways are happening on. Id be going electric here so I'm hoping there would be less chance of runaway danger

That's what I'm scared of. I feel the same with my 10th scales with my faulty Chinese radio. I'm selling it soon and getting a new radio.
So far I have not had any runaways or issues with my radiolink stuff, I just have the rc4gs. When I kill the tx, the nitro goes full brake. When I kill the tx, the 1/5 goes full brake as well.

Actually one issue I did have was with the antenna of an rx, but it was a matter of exposing the signal wire again

My 4gs works perfectly fine. It's just the rc8x. the signal cuts In and out and I get very very short range on it compared to my 4gs. Even though I have the failsafe set on the rc8x, it does not work when it cuts out. the radio freezes and the car goes as per the last input to the radio. For example if I was turning left or at full throttle and it cuts out, it will still be at full throttle or whatever.

My 4gs works perfectly fine. It's just the rc8x. the signal cuts In and out and I get very very short range on it compared to my 4gs. Even though I have the failsafe set on the rc8x, it does not work when it cuts out. the radio freezes and the car goes as per the last input to the radio. For example if I was turning left or at full throttle and it cuts out, it will still be at full throttle or whatever.
Oh I see, I’ll steer clear of the 8x then! I’m glad to hear your 4gs works though. One of these days I can see the need to upgrade to a good futaba or something.

Oh I see, I’ll steer clear of the 8x then! I’m glad to hear your 4gs works though. One of these days I can see the need to upgrade to a good futaba or something.
Yea I got my eyes on flysky due to the somewhat cheaper receivers. Futaba is pretty good, but me needing 5 receivers for all my cars, that gets expensive. I got NB4 (FlySky) and 4PM (Futaba) money, but I don't have like 7PX or M17 money.

I've had no problems yet with my Futaba 3PV yet (knock on wood) driving my $2000 boat lol

Back