Which buggy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by wbynum
I will admit the Lightning Pro is probably a step below a K2 or the new Mugen in a top drivers hands, but my guess is 99% of the local racers couldn't tell the difference.

I 100% disagree with this statement. I have an NTC3. My friend recently got into nitro. He has a streetforce. He drove my NTC3. He was amazed at the difference. I also upgraded to my NTC3 while i was still a newbie. And yes - i was amazed at the handling difference. I have a storm pro. I have driven my friends Ofna GT LX - and him vice versa - and again the difference is staggering. To make this comment shows pure ignorance.

I dont know anything about buggy's but I do know that when I drive my xxxnt it is a lot different than driving a rustler and I have only been doing rc for a few months now so I assun=me anyone can tell the difference between cars they all drive somewhat different

I can tell a difference when I switch my shocks 5wt in oil. I can see a difference when I change my underwear too.

choice

Your right humboldt,

I have not offered any other options other than what I know. I have not driven anything else other than a Hyper7(which I didn't like). I jumped on the Lightning bandwagon, because of the cost and features it has for what I want to do with it. Don't get me wrong, I personally think it will be a force to be reckoned with shortly, and I love the buggy, but, as you stated there are other buggies out there.

It all comes down to a matter of choice, I am a cheap SOB, if I had the money, I probably would have an MBX5.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict

I 100% disagree with this statement. I have an NTC3. My friend recently got into nitro. He has a streetforce. He drove my NTC3. He was amazed at the difference. I also upgraded to my NTC3 while i was still a newbie. And yes - i was amazed at the handling difference. I have a storm pro. I have driven my friends Ofna GT LX - and him vice versa - and again the difference is staggering. To make this comment shows pure ignorance.

Did I ever say the the Ofna LX compared to the top end buggies? No I did not. Don't put words in my mouth just to try and prove your point. For the record, I agree the Ofna LX is trash. Just because the Lightning Pro is as cheap in cost to the LX, that does not mean the Lightning Pro sucks like the Ofna LX.

As for you telling the difference with hopups when you were a newbie, I find that very hard to believe. Any newbie needs to concentrate on their driving 100%. To often I see newbies complaining about such and such motor, part, doodad, whatever when the main problem is they just suck at driving. About the only thing a newbie could tell much difference in is tires.

Thanks for the discussion humboldtblazer.

damn. guys over night you probablly had a hell of a bashing war, Well actually guys i am still in the middle of my decision. All of your experience/opinions have helped out actually, i have been researching it a bit more, i am going to my lhs to check out what they have and as the lhs "expert" lol, well i have seen him drive everything, i am just going to ask him a couple of questions, and take my NTC3 to the newly resurfaced track, and see if anyone else is there racing their buggy, it is practice night, so they all should be there, i will take some pics, keep the flow comin in, just one thing, dont take the opinions of another person to heart, that is what they think, and that is that. Only correct them if the are obviously wrong, dont get into a little sissy fight about this, this is to help me, a "n00b", and others who are reading this about 1/8th buggy. please keep it clean, no bashing eachother, i dont mean to be a little biatch about it, it is funny, but i am trying to make an informed decision. Trust me It is helping a bit though..

Zoomer: One definate negative with the Lightning Pro would be parts support. Most shops don't stock parts for it yet so if this is a factor for you, it is something to consider. Although, with any 1/8th scale you don't break much. Just a shock shaft every now and then and the internal diff gears. Some companies make cheaper trunbuckles than others, so you might break those but it is not a real problem. In running 1/8th scale for a few years now I have only broke one turnbuckle on my EB4. You could tell the material was cheap like most Thunder Tiger metal parts.

OK now i am pissed, lol. I went to my LHS and they dont like the Lightning or the Storm, it was funny as hell. he was trying to get parts for the lightning and called HB and they said that they dont have any parts for it instock. I WAS SHOCKED. The availability of parts is very important, and he told me about his experience with the Storm and he siad it is a pretty good combination of both.

This is the funny part.
HE PUSHED OFNA ON ME!!!
He said that the OFNA Hyper 7 is one of the best buggies out there, and it is built damn good.
He had an RTR sitting out and i looked it over, and i was impressed, but i still want to see a Storm and Lightning in person.
He said that the hobby shop is getting rid of all of the others and sell OFNA. He is selling a OFNA Hyper7 RTR for $650. DAMN, talk about leave a hole in my pocket.

OK here is the question:::::
HOW does the
GS Racing Storm Buggy,
HB Lightning RTR/PRO, &
OFNA Hyper 7 compare to each other, durability, and competition in the bashing & racing worlds.

The question is in reference as to how they are STOCK!
no $$$$ spent on parts (hop-ups).

I think the Durratrax 8th scale is the Best!

My God people - what the hell happened in here?!?!?

Valium I say, Valium! Now go hug, kiss, shake hands and pinch eachothers asses!

ENOUGH ALREADY!

lol, Çh®i§tiªñ i got everything under control, dont worry, i had a talk with all MY buddies. :hehe: :hammer: "order order everyone"

well i know the lhs is full of sheit, but it is still good to ask, i will not buy any car from them, i will only buy over net, i will only buy parts from my lhs, that is all they are good for. they have a NTC3 RTR for $400 and i got mine for $289 from tower, now that is why.
:ponder:
Well i read some more up on the Hyper 7, and they seem like a pretty good buggy, but i still want to hear more. Those of you with an OFNA let me know. Those with the Lightning or Storm, if you have any thing diff, please feel free to share!!!!!

Personally, buggies I like are as follows:

Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5 pure (Kanai 1 too!)
Mugen MBX
OFNA Pro and even the non pro
GS Storm Pro
Fiorni complete (redone Inferno)

I dont race, I just bash, and thats what I like. Its a matter of what YOU want. I think Kyosho is the best, but thats JUST ME and why I bought it. Keep in mind, when I want to replace a STOCK part (only had to once) I had to wait for it to get on a ship, go through the ports and paid a heavy price for one lousy ass pin that I didnt install properly!

The OFNA and GS ones have a lot of after market support which is nice. So does Kyosho and Mugen. Hey man, so many choices so little time. Flip a couple of quarters, drink a beer and just enjoy what you get!

well i am not old enough to drink, so i cannot do that, unless i steal my dads bottle of wine, HEHEHEHE *hickup* *hickup*

Well now i am going to *hickup* go look at the Kyo *hickup* the Kyosho, and see what info *hickup* i find on it... Thanx for the info

does it come in an RTR form?

I was talking about the Kyosho Inferno MP 7.5

Drool on this complete Fioroni Storm Christian

Fioroni-Storm.jpg

That thing is just ill-na-nito.

It is the sports version and is not to popular from people that have them from what I have heard, but you would be better served asking someone who has one.

I learned most the things I claim I know from that site, its great reading, and honest opinions of performance.

very true, i have to take a break from i though, it is a pain in the ars.

my ars is sore from sitting here in my chair, i need to get a comp. cair not a hard wood chair. I am going to be here awhile. I might get fat, all i do is sit here eat chocolate, and play monopoly on my palm pilot. LOL that is until it gets out of the 100's out side, then i will go outside and play at like 7pm

Personally, I like the Mugen and Kyosho buggies. Both are solid as a rock and perform well on the track. I have owned both, and the Mugen feels better to ME. My first buggy was a Storm RTR and it is a good package. I then bought a Storm Pro and I liked it alot too. The only problems I had with the Storm were broken A-arms, but at the time I was learning so it probably would have happened regardless of the manufacturer. I have not owned an Ofna product, but I race with a few guys that have them. They are nice, but it always seems like something breaks that takes them out of the race. I have yet to break a part on my Mugen's, but I believe much of it is due to regular maintenance and keeping the working parts clean and lubed.
At any rate, go to the track and see what fits YOU and YOUR driving style. Maybe some of the guys will let you run their buggies after the races. What I may like, you may hate, and what fits your style may not fit mine.
Main thing is to get something you are happy with and proud of. When it comes to racing, you need to feel connected to your buggy.

Here is my opinion on these differences. Again these are only my opinions.

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
If you still want some real info on the Lightning pro vs the Storm pro:

Storm has all universals and the Lighting doesn't come withg the rears
. <--- Valid point. If you race the Lightning Pro you would probably end up spending $20 on a set of CVD's for the rear although you can race with the dogbones.

Storm has a 7075 suspenion holders where the Lighning has 6061. <--- Both will wear although the 7075 one swill last a bit longer. Storm question: Does it come with set screws in the hinge-pin mounts? This is one thing the Lightning Pro needs which would eliminate wear.

Storm has quad adjutable biased brakes where the Lightning has 3. <--- No real advatage here. Through a 15 minute race I can still lock my tires on my Lightning Pro with easy. If you are using a weak servo this might be an advantage for the Storm.

Storm comes with ball bearing steering where the Lightning has bushings. <--- Helps a minor degree although I have never been able to tell much difference between using bushing and bearings on the steering.

Storm has bearing breaks where the Lighning uses bushings. <--- IMO, this offers no advantage.

Storm comes with stronger screws and those trick looking aluminum collets or what ever they are called I know it looks good but it also adds strenght to the impact on a screw. <--- I have had no problem breaking or bending any screws on my Lightning Pro. I do wish it used hex head screws instead of phillips head screws.

Storm comes with 7075 alum wing braces and radio tray mounts where the Lightning doesn't. <-- IMO, this offers nothing except for fancy looks. I have not broken a wing mount on my Lightning but I suppose it all depends on how much you wreck.

Storm has 7075 alum center diff mounts and the Lighning doesn't. <--- Are the Storm center diff mounts decomposible? The twf8 site doesn't say they are. If they are not then the alluminum mounts offer no advantage over the plastic ones in the Lightning Pro. If the are decomposible, it makes for much easier diff maintenance but offers no performance increase

Storm comes with 2 stage springs for the front and back where the Lightning doesn't. <-- Spings are all personal preference. Give 90% of local drivers a car with different springs and they won't be able to tell the difference, as long as the springs aren't to different. The Lightning Pro springs are nice and mushy just like I like them.

To tell you the truth there is more that the Storm comes with that the Lightning doesn't but I cannot think of one thing the Lightning has that the Storm doesn't except the plastic diff housing (correct me if I'm wrong on that one as I am not sure.)

So basically it all comes down to this. Do you think the above mods are worth $170 more than the Lightning Pro cost? If so, then go for the Storm Pro. Also, factor in parts support, if that is something that concerns you. Finally, think about which buggy you think would be a better performer. I think my opinion is pretty clear on this point, but admitedly I have never owned a Storm Pro.

Screw 'em both, get a MUGEN! Just kidding guys, don't take offense.:beer:

Back