Wheelies with .25?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman6766

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can anyone with a Savage 25 with the stock .25 engine in it to wheelies?

Have you tried it on grass? Different gearing?

Right now I am running with the suggested gearing for ramps,hills,wheelies, and bashing.Dosn't do it on grass either.

do you have it tuned well? If your low end isn't spot on then you might have problems doing what you want to do.

Seems to be tuned "right".Have to load up the head for the first start of the day then every start after that it starts with one push of one second on the roto-start.Can't get it to full speed because there isnt enough room.

does it stutter when you go wot? You could go with a smaller cb because you don't have enough room to get to full speed then the smaller cb with less speed wouldn't matter to you? Just a suggestion.

Nope dosn't stutter at all...I feel dumb asking but, cb?

clutch bell go with a smaller ammount of teeth. I'm not sure what you have on it but one less would probably fix your problems.

The stock .25 can pull wheelies just fine. I run the stock engine and can pull wheelies on command, grass or concrete. I run the stock gearing ( 49T Spur & 15T CB).

Check to make sure you don't have the 18T CB on there, simply count the splines on it if you are not certain. Other than that, your tuning might be off, but you said that you got that covered. So the only other things I would suggest is that your pipe or air intake is holding you back. What set-up are you running for a pipe and air intake? Are they still stock?

Savage SS with a MotorSaver filter.

wheelie_05.jpg

See here for more:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20831

As you can see in my signature I have an HPI Ribbed Tune Pipe and an HPI High Proformance Filter 15mm.Would you happen to know what clutch bell comes stock on the Savage 25?Because thats the clutch bell I have on it.They did include another one in the box but the directiosn say that its for high speed running.Not wheelies or off-roading.

You should have got 2 clutchbells with your truck a 15 tooth and a 18 tooth. You prob. have the 18 on there. Put on the 15 and you'll be runnin on 2 wheels!

My SS is totally stock expect for the Motorsaver and it wheelies hard 100% of the time on grass with the stock 15/49 gearing. It will easily flip over backwards. It spins all 4 tires on concrete so it does not really wheelie on concrete. It will sometimes wheelie a bit on concrete if I hit it from a very low speed roll, but from a dead stop the tire spin kills the wheelies. The motor would need more midrange torque to get a good hard wheelie on pavement. The tires seem to bite better in low grass and hard packed dirt.

Your slipper clutch or your suspension might be too loose. Your tuning might also be off. Bring the motor up to full temp and do a pinch test at idle. The motor should speed up slightly and start to die after a few seconds.

Pinch Test...as in pinching the fuel line?Umm I may be retarded but dosnt that make it run lean with no lube since it isnt getting fuel?

vbgagnon said:
You should have got 2 clutchbells with your truck a 15 tooth and a 18 tooth. You prob. have the 18 on there. Put on the 15 and you'll be runnin on 2 wheels!

Yes I did get two clutch bells.The stock one ont he truck wish is a 15T, and an extra one for ON-ROAD USE ONLY.I read the little slip that came with the extra clutch bell and it says it is an 18T and that it is for ON-ROAD USE ONLY!So now I know for a fact I am running with a 49T Spur Gear and a 15T Clutch Bell.

Powerman6766 said:
Pinch Test...as in pinching the fuel line?Umm I may be retarded but dosnt that make it run lean with no lube since it isnt getting fuel?

The pinch test is one well known way of testing your LSN. Running it lean for 2 seconds is not going to do any damage.

So how would I go about doing this?

13T CB and 48T spur gear.. Wheelie on pavement.. but terrible top end

Once the engine is up to a good running temperature, make a few high-speed passes back and forth and bring the truck in. As soon as the engine idles down pinch the fuel line near the carburetor. The engine should idle up for about 2-3 seconds after which the idle should increase slightly, and then a second or so later the motor will try to stall. Let go of the fuel line just before the engine stalls. If your engine falls within the 2-4 second range before it tries to stall then the LSN needle is very close to optimum. You can fine tune it by the way it runs off the line.

BTW - I just passed the 2.5 gallon mark and my SS is now pulling big wheelies on pavement.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21681

Back