what started you in this hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother in law had a Tamiya, and used to putz around on his dead end street with it.
I was under the impression that they were toy's and not very fast, until I saw him goofing around with this thing.
Ever since then I've been hooked.
his next car was a monster truck (TXT1) i believe.
So i had to out do his truck by getting my first rc car, a NTC3.
damn that thing seemed incredible to me so i figured that the next thing would be a Savage 21, when they first came out.
since then, I took up electrics, racing them.
it was fun for a while, but every time the weather gets nice, the nitros come out of the basement.
can't help myself.
Its a great way to get away from reality, and just have some fun.
My kids are getting into it now, and it is a blast.

I got a Tamiya mustang for christmas but it was the Maxx that really set the hobby off for me.

To make things short. My friend was hard up for money one day and asked if I wanted a rc car (HPI Nitro Rush) for $20. So, being the good citizen I am I couldn't refuse. The rest is meeting people and having fun. I sujest it to anyone that ever mensions being bored. I haven't been bored since!

Originally posted by Hypedonrc
To make things short. My friend was hard up for money one day and asked if I wanted a rc car (HPI Nitro Rush) for $20. So, being the good citizen I am I couldn't refuse. The rest is meeting people and having fun. I sujest it to anyone that ever mensions being bored. I haven't been bored since!
I know people like that, they also smoke crack using curtin hangars

Originally posted by zoeybadm
I got into R/C for the hot chicks!
What hot chicks? You want hot chicks go 1:1, the beauty of the girls is scaled with the cars my friend.

Originally posted by olds97_lss

That's good stuff... but hey, my wife's pretty hot!
It doesn't count if you get them before the RC habbits start. RCs dont get you chicks.

Originally posted by Waste Land
I know people like that, they also smoke crack using curtin hangars

What hot chicks? You want hot chicks go 1:1, the beauty of the girls is scaled with the cars my friend.

What type of racing in 1:1 do you find hot chicks? I must have missed something when I went to all those 1:1 races as a child....all I saw was old hick women in beat up shirts....

Those were probably hot chicks when they hooked up with their ol'man. Let see how good you look after breathing burned rubber and nitrous fumes...

Originally posted by zoeybadm

What type of racing in 1:1 do you find hot chicks? I must have missed something when I went to all those 1:1 races as a child....all I saw was old hick women in beat up shirts....
Are you sure you havent been to AL, damn that sounds familiar. No not actual NHRA type. More like Fun Ford weekend, street racing, and its just plain common sense. Fast bikes and fast cars get chicks.

I started with a Tamiya Frog. That was a cool car. I spent about a million dollars on hop-up parts for it and had about the fastest frog on the planet. I sold it all and got out of the hobby for a lot of years. Then I saw a T-maxx in action and had to have one. So then I got a T-Maxx and spent about a million on hop-up parts for that. I have a sweet Maxx now. Then I decided I wanted to get a street car so I built a Maxx out of spare parts and traded it for a Nitro 4-Tec. THEN, I decided I wanted electric for those days when I didn't feel like messing with the nitro so I got an old RC10T to play with but that wasn't enough so I got an RC10T3. Somewhere in there I aquired an electric boat and just got a Yokomo GT-4. I also got a couple electric planes just for something different.

It's an addiction for sure.....

Talk about dragging up from the dead!!! This was last used more than a year ago!

Better to continue on an old thread than start a new one on the same subject.

I busted my knee and was just bummed I can't skate anymore spent the day at a friends house and saw my friend launch his Mugen athlete over a tree.....10 ft high but still a friggin tree.....then playing w/ his kids T-maxx in a field for 2 tanks went home and saw oceans 11 wherer the guy squashed the Monster truck on the track......it was like a calling...I had electrics back in the early to late 80s but never really raced...just brought em to skateparks and drove around on the ramps when I got tired....

My freind got a brand new gt one year and we played with it for awhile,then all of the sudden 2 years later i just found a magazine on models and got a t-maxx right after that,thank you rc car action

i always had rc's as a kid but they were the radio shack type.. nikko or whatever.. some were fast but most were not and when you broke it that was it.. i tried slot car a bit but it didnt interest me much.. then i moved to texas after i graduated and one of the stops we made while sightseeing was the hobbie shop in clearlake.. it had a huge onroad track at the time and there were a few guys running there cars on it i was like whoa!! but didnt have the money at the time.. so i met a few friends down here and one had a savage21 and a few onroad electrics.. i went with him to a few races and pitbitched and camwhored (lol) then i was at his house and he brings out the savage (i had never seen a nitro upclose or seen one run..) he had just put in a picco .26 and ran it around his yard doing wheelies.. i was like man i gotta get one.. so when income tax came in thats what i got.. it was fun for about 6 months then driving by myself got boring.. it set for a few and i would pull it out and drive it like every 2 months or so.. then i move to my new house and were out walking the neighborhood and i hear the distective wine of a nitro and walk over to investigate.. i meet a guy that lives like 1/4 mile away and has a t-maxx.. so we start bashing on the weekends then i find RCNT the best forum EVAR!! and then i met wannarunem and a few others and got all my friends to buy nitros.. so now we bash every sunday and have 5 regulars and a few new guys supposed to be comming.. and were building a track.. its like cancer man you can't stop it!!!!!!!!!! I'm up to 3 nitros now and still not happy.. i have nitro withdrawle sometimes when i can't get out to the garage to "play with my toys"

disease
Disease
spreading tha disease
w/ some help from cpt hook
he'll bringthe world down to it's knees

ANTHRAX got nothin on Nitro RCs baby...
If the terrorists really want ot spread a disease they should mail all our senators and gov officials Nitro RCs so they'de stop work and fiddlesticks off all day....wish I could do that....well I mean EVERY DAY, not just most of em.....LOL

Power Yes power,Spreading all his power,,,, Among the living baby that songs the best. Anthrax is the poop,Among the living follow me or DIE

and plaid where the hell did that come from?

And by the way it was Captian trip not hook.

Last edited:
Got Nitro, do you realize that song was made about 6 years before you were born? when that was new you'd be outed as a satan worshiping freak if you listened to that stuff......LOL
...actually what made me finally take the plunge was I was looking on Flea Bay for used T-maxx and I had an auction for a dura trash MT up on my screen...I went to lunch and a co-worker thought it would be funny to bid on it......I got an e-mail from someone a few days later asking how I'd like to pay for the truck.....it took me a few days to find out what was going on.....I turned down the auction and th eguy was very gracious about it.....I felt bad but I wasn't plopping down 250 bucks for something I never heard of....next weekend I ran into a guy w/ a HUGE box of T-maxx parts and 1 complete (supposedly had new engine) and 2 almost completes and 1 less than those...plus the box was like 36" x 24"....200 bucks....mine....I built almost 6 complete T-maxxes from that box and learned a buttload about nitro RC from it.....I've funded most of my RC stuff from building those trucks..LOL...I just traded the last one to Maxxerbasher for a TC3 that's pretty nice condition.....

Plaid i was raised on Anthrax,Iron Maiden,Metallica,Slayer,S.O.D And I've been called a satan worshiper.

and it was actually 2 years plaid i was born in 89'

Last edited:
Back