What clutch and flywheel do I buy for the HPI G3.0?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireturtle

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I got the G3.0 as an upgrade for my 1/10 buggy. I tried to put on a clutch and flywheel set that I got from Amazon and it did not fit around the threads of the engine. Is there a specific set that I have to buy from HPI or is there another one on Amazon that works?

Thanks!

can't give a correct answer without buggy # and motor its going on..

I made a shaft that holds a piece of emery cloth to expand a hole .and it worked for my needs.not sure the type of hole on a clutch bell .if its a tapered hole or a straight thru hole used on my Dremel tool but have used a larger shaft on my dye grinder

Last edited:
I got the G3.0 as an upgrade for my 1/10 buggy. I tried to put on a clutch and flywheel set that I got from Amazon and it did not fit around the threads of the engine. Is there a specific set that I have to buy from HPI or is there another one on Amazon that works?

Thanks!

Assuming the original engine you're replacing had a threaded shaft (VX-18?), you'll have a much easier time fitting the HPI T3.0 engine, instead of the G. T has the threaded shaft you need, G has an "SG" shaft which would also require you to modify the engine mounts.

Assuming the original engine you're replacing had a threaded shaft (VX-18?), you'll have a much easier time fitting the HPI T3.0 engine, instead of the G. T has the threaded shaft you need, G has an "SG" shaft which would also require you to modify the engine mounts.
I'm upgrading from a Force 18, which I now know also has the "SG" shaft because it looks nearly identical to the G3.0 shaft. This was my first time doing anything like this to my car, and I destroyed the three-shoe clutch trying to get it off the engine. I just ordered a 1/8 scale clutch and flywheel set from Amazon, which looks like it will work.

What buggy do you have? Earlier you were asking about different replacement engines but never answered then. That would really help us so we can give the correct info.
I bought a banggood VRX "Spirit" thinking I could just upgrade it as I went along. Big mistake by me because I'm pretty sure that now with all of the money I've spent on upgrades and repairs so far I could have just bought a much nicer car. I guess I am learning a lot about nitro cars fixing it, though.

I'm upgrading from a Force 18, which I now know also has the "SG" shaft because it looks nearly identical to the G3.0 shaft. This was my first time doing anything like this to my car, and I destroyed the three-shoe clutch trying to get it off the engine. I just ordered a 1/8 scale clutch and flywheel set from Amazon, which looks like it will work.

I bought a banggood VRX "Spirit" thinking I could just upgrade it as I went along. Big mistake by me because I'm pretty sure that now with all of the money I've spent on upgrades and repairs so far I could have just bought a much nicer car. I guess I am learning a lot about nitro cars fixing it, though.

Oh nice, that'll be a much easier conversion than I was thinking of (HSP Baja, very similar 1/10 buggy)

The 3 shoe clutches can be pretty difficult to assemble, you might also want to pick up a "clutch tool", which helps you guide the springs on.

I had a similar experience buying a cheap buggy and upgrading it, but the reality of expensive buggies is expensive parts. A VRX will have cheap and plentiful replacements for the suspension arms, chassis, and other things that you wind up having to spend on anyway even for the more expensive buggies. And you're totally right, getting to know your RC in and out makes it much easier to maintain in the end.