What are you guys using for lipo chargers?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey, guys I was about to order another lipo charger since my barely used onyx 235 got up and walked away, seriously I've turned my house upside down, looked in every packing box, and still no charger.....I might have thrown it out by accident.

This the brand I'm looking into, since it's free shipping, and I've whittled in a deal for some lipos to go with.

http://begoracing.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=103&product_id=1046
http://begoracing.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=103&product_id=980
http://begoracing.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=103&product_id=981

I copied all these links off Begoracing.com, it's where I ordered some SMC lipos a few months back.

Older version Hyperion EOS 720i NET3 is what I use. Many years of service and I have not had a single issue.

I have 3 that I use.
Powerlab 6
Thunder Power TP820CD
Orion Advantage Touch

i would recommend a charger that can cycle lipos and read Internal Resistance of individual lipo cells. I would also recommend a quality name brand as the cheaper brands tend to develop balancing issues later on after a fair a mount of use.

Interesting, but I just read that powerlab, and Orion have distributor restrictions, that prevent me from ordering from either company due to me not residing in the U.S.A

Thunder Power, I found, but every major shop I've checked all has them marked as out of stock.

Check out the Sky RC chargers and power supplies on Great Hobbies website. I've had mime for a little over a year now and have had no problems whatsoever. Plus free shipping on orders over a $100, and they price match. Which is good cause the Sky RC stuff is cheaper at Hobby Hobby.

Power supplies? It switches AC to DC, wiki says rectifier. I don't believe I've had any experience with this sort of component. I have an inverter on my picker truck, and from what I'm reading an inverter, and a rectifier (power supply) are opposites side of the same coin......yes? And if I'm guessing correctly, when choosing a power supply you want one that supplies more watts than the watts per channel/channels on your charger combined......ok?

What happens when/if I choose an insufficient power supply, is something going to heat up and burn a hole in my table....again?

Am I going to get the full advantages of a power supply/charging system if I hook it to your standard wall outlet?

All of this makes me want to put my 5sc on lipo!

Last edited:
Still using a Venom Pro.

Gotta get me one of the Sentry 2's.

Power supplies? It switches AC to DC, wiki says rectifier. I don't believe I've had any experience with this sort of component. I have an inverter on my picker truck, and from what I'm reading an inverter, and a rectifier (power supply) are opposites side of the same coin......yes? And if I'm guessing correctly, when choosing a power supply you want one that supplies more watts than the watts per channel/channels on your charger combined......ok?

What happens when/if I choose an insufficient power supply, is something going to heat up and burn a hole in my table....again?

Am I going to get the full advantages of a power supply/charging system if I hook it to your standard wall outlet?

All of this makes me want to put my 5sc on lipo!

Yes, an inverter converts DC to AC and a rectifier converts AC to DC.

If your lipo charger draws to much current from your rectifier it will damage the rectifier, usually by blowing the capacitors. That can possibly (small chance but possible) damage whatever you're powering.
Heres a video I did that explains how to figure out the power requirements you need for a rectifier

Heres a video on how to convert a PC power supply to be a power supply for lipo chargers. If your power requirements arent massive you can possibly save some money by converting one if you have one laying around.

Back