Water cooled nitro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borkhart

RCTalk Racer
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just starting up a discussion. Has anyone seen this or don't it I think it would be interesting to do and have it work well.

Sent from Borkharts HTC DNA

Yep I have seen it done on a thunder tiger big block. Guy had a boat water cooled head. He used a what I think was a homemade radiator not sure.

Or you can run it in a puddle.[SIGN]no need to thank me[/SIGN]

You are welcomed, but you shouldn't have. really.

What would be the purpose? Running a leaner tune? Would that make substantially more power? Enough extra power to overcome having a pump, tank, heat exchanger and radiator?

but wouldn't it be an unbelieable pain to get the engine to start in the first place with all the cold water around the head?
or would you be bringing a hot water bottle of preheated water and hoping it wont boil too soon? i dont think firing the engine up getting it up to running temp before introducing the water cooling is gonna do nice things for the engine head as the temp changes rapidly. cracked block ahead.

Well I was hearing more to nitro land vehicles. but for a slower moving kit. Maybe. That wouldn't have air flow or maybe even just to be able to run leaner the. You could before I think it would be neat and worth a shot.

I have a water cooled nitro that i picked up from conrads when i was stationed in germany. Its has a mini radiator mounted to the front bulkhead,I dont use water i always use coolant in it. The water always evaporates to fast.

Grossi Engines made a complete kit, and even their own engine I believe. It wasn't cheap..., and not sure how successful it was. Their website is down right now for what it's worth. But just google image search Grossi Engines and you'll get the idea. It's a pretty big bulky setup. Looks really neat, but I would think that's about it.

hmmm if only I know my way around cnc machines and advanced metal working.

Is their a pump on it? Doesn't look all that bulky on there

:whhooo: i can't believe what I'm reading.. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better.

Water cooling for a boat is great because you have an unlimited supply of coolant. On a car the sizes of the radiator limits the effectiveness of the cooling factor of the system. This makes it more of a novelty than an effective system.

Just pack some dry ice in the cooling head, that way it will stay very cold and you could run the eng with the high side neddle almost closed. Just think of how much power that will make.

That just might (not) work!! Well IF you add NOS and a stupid charger. But seriously in theory water cooling works but the reason you don't see it on land based RCs is it just does not work for them.

I’ve made a water cooling system and mounted it on a TMaxx.
A Perry pump, small radiator, cooling head from a boat engine and some plumbing is all it takes. While it is “COOL” it is just not practical.
Regulating the temps to stay within a good range was harder with it than without.
Remember, too cool is almost just as bad a too hot.

You can do it but its not really practical.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzk8-7sGnqE"]Under The Hood - Nitro SCX10 Jeep - YouTube[/ame]