Wasp .26 over Stock 25 - Worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidge1

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've been decently pleased with the stock 25 on my Savage RTR 25. It's been a few months since I purchased, and I have been eyeing that .26 Wasp at tower (now in stock) for a month now. Can anyone tell me how the .26 Wasp runs compared to the 25 stocker? I doubt I will spend the money and time if it's just a small percentage gain - like 10-15% or so.

Thanks

can't say much on the wasp, but i would imagin the rpms r higher then on the stocker.

If you check with a user named TRDstreetfighter he has the wasp 26. He can tell ya how well it runs and all that. Don't know if he can tell you about the 25 though. For a stock HPI engine they really made that one well it seems.

The WASP 26 / Outlaw is..
or how I can put it..
should be a professional R/C user engine...
requires precision tuning

comparing it to the HPI S-25

There is a Major difference...
but if I were you I'd still keep the S-25...
I've played with the S-25....
Runs like the OFNA Force 25
both are strong powerful engine and easy tuning..

If you got the money, then go for it...
but I would use the money some where else

I've used different pipes on the WASP..
CVEC or any dual pipe makes the WASP run eratic

1 piece pipes are the best..

I would only get the WASP 26 if for some reason you broke your engine

or

can sell it

Thanks for the replies. Since I don't see anyone jumping all over this thread saying the .26 is that much faster, I will use my money for something else. Like a brushless motor for my combat wing :hammer:

FYI- the Orion Wasp and the Ofna Outlaw are identical .26 Picco engines. Just thouht that I would mention it in case you go shopping.

I have the wasp .26 and love it. I did the .21/.25 exchange from HPI and then sold the so I never ran it. By buddy has a stock Savage 25 and he loves his. But, he gets frustrated when mine climbs hills that his can't and when I drag race and he looses. He has to change gears to hill climb with me. I personally think the 25 engine is a smokin mill and was suprised with how much low end it had for a stock RTR engine. My opinion is if you want more power and are ready to take that next step, save your $$ and wait for more of us to get the Truckzilla upgrade. If you like what you hear then make your decesion. A lot of us with the .26 have our eye on that upgrade and for the $$ you will spend on a .26 and parts to support the power, you can get the Truckzilla upgrade. Just an opinion .......

I think it willl make a diff because the s-25 has claimed 2.5 hp and 29,000 rpms and the wasp .26 has a claimed 2.7 hp and 37,000 rpms so as you can see that is a big diff.

i was looking at a copy of rc nitro(march) in the lhs and they did a dyno test on a wasp 26. i believe it said 2.67 hp at ~26,000 rpm and 102 in/lbs of torque at ~22,000 rpm. but once it hit the hp peak, it dropped off pretty quickly. at 37,000 rpm it was down to about 1 hp. the test was done with 30% nitro.

Yes but hp is the amount of torque and how fast it accelerates. Also when the rpm goes up on any engine the hp drops even on real life cars.

Sup guys,

I don't own the .25 HPI but I've driven Savages with it plenty. The HPI .25 is nice but the Picco .26 kicks ass. If you look at real dyno charts for the Picco .26 it's easy to tell where the real powerband is. The low-end torque on the Picco phucking rocks and puts the HPI .25 to shame in that department IMHO. If ya want some serious low-end for your MT then YES I think it's worth an upgrade. If you want some serious topend then I'd look into a Sirio engine. Apparently, not all Italian engine guys are only focused on mid-and top end power like Sirio. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sirio .18 but it's obviously not built for low end. I'm staring @ the new Sirio .27 Pro as we speak but I'm gonna sell it on Flea Bay and get a Picco .26 Mod'd by EBMods. I'll be sure to report on it.

Peace

I finally got my new wasp .26 put on my savage. It's been ported. Even running rich for break-in if I nail it a little it will flip over backwards without even trying. This is with a 16t pinion. I'm thinking I might be able to run a 17? Anyway, it has so much power that it will pull a wheelie going up my gravel driveway when before it would just spin some...

Originally posted by Oxyacetylene
I finally got my new wasp .26 put on my savage. It's been ported. Even running rich for break-in if I nail it a little it will flip over backwards without even trying. This is with a 16t pinion. I'm thinking I might be able to run a 17? Anyway, it has so much power that it will pull a wheelie going up my gravel driveway when before it would just spin some...

HA HA HA....that's the mean low end on the mean Picco .26. I would gear your truck as high as possible or be real carefull with the throttle..lol. You should c what that beast is like properly mod'd in a T-maxx. Straight up insane power.

Peace

Dont gear it as high as possible, youll blow up your engine faster than this dude--->:moped:
And his engine is made out of construction paper and elmers glue.

Oxyacetylene, instead of gearing up you should get the extended chassis. you keep the low end and it wont flip over when you punch it. you can also keep the slipper cluch a little looser. It also corners a lot better with the longer chassis. Just a suggestion.
I had the same issue and with the new era extended chassis it made a world of difference. I also had to get the HPI heavy duty cup joints on the diff and tranny (rear). the stock ones can't handle the power and get worn out fast.

you can find some WASP or Picco engines on ebay for good price.. Like I said before... it's a powerful engine.. go for it... I love it...

Dont you have the .46?

TRDStreetFighter, whats the latest with the .46? How is she running?

Originally posted by lillightingboy21
Yes but hp is the amount of torque and how fast it accelerates. Also when the rpm goes up on any engine the hp drops even on real life cars.

actually hp is computed from a torque value(lb/ft) with the equation hp=torque*rpm/5252. for these little mills you have to change the constant 5252 to 1008384 for torque readings in oz/in(i goofed saying in/lbs earlier). this formula applies to any engine.
yes the hp will peak and drop off as rpms continue to rise, but the wasps hp REALLY dropped off after its peak. i'm not saying there is anything wrong with a wasp engine (heck i own one), it was just something that caught my eye when reading the article.
actually because of it, i am seriously considering some port work to regain some area under the hp curve.

Back