Washing in the dish washer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugenseiki

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Well this is the first time I have tried this. & I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

I removed the radio tray, engine & fuel tank but left everything else on.

I placed it on the bottom shelf turned upside down.

I purposely left grease, grit & grass round the drive shafts & on the chassis to see how good at cleaning it would be & it got rid of all of it :) be before pics unfortunately :(

Here is how it turned out!

null_zps579265c8.gif

null_zpsd3a38f4b.gif

null_zpsf35624ca.gif

null_zps10e20f10.gif

null_zpsbff0c3e9.gif

null_zps35ebc0fa.gif

null_zpsd2b33f01.gif

Review:

The good:

Everything was very clean & it saves a bunch of time. I am yet to try it with the car caked in mud after a race meet but I assume it will turn out the same.

The bad:

Water gets in most places so everything has to be re oiled & checked.
Some surface rust on some screws.
Some of what looks like corrosion on some nuts, I think that because if the washing tablet I used so in the future will just use bi card which I have heard works quite well.

The buggy is currently in the airing cupboard after having a quick blast down with air. In the morning I will strip it & re oil it all :)

Overall I'm quite happy & will continue to use this method in future!

*Edit - forgot to say it also is a great way to clean wheels :)

Don't let your mum or wife catch you doing that! Lol

Doesn't do the bearings much good though....

Sounds like a lot if parts (especially the metal parts) will get ruined. Surface rust that quickly means more problems down the line.

Dishwasher soaps (be it a tablet, liquid, or packet) are designed around abrasion. They dont foam up like liquid hand soap, so it is engineered to work like a scrub pad and destroys the finish of anything put in it, thus the term for most dishes and utensils "dishwasher safe". Not to mention all of the bacteria that you are putting into your dishwasher that you clean the things that you eat off of and put in your mouth. Nitromethane. Dirt. Carbon. Burnt chemicals. Shock oils. Bearing grease/oils. All that crap goes into the dishwasher to wait for your next load. And don't try and kid yourself by saying you can run it empty a few times and get all that crap out.

hit the bearings with wd 40 right away to flush out water and prevent rust.

The abrasive nature of the soaps will still take off the protective coatings. Take sandpaper to a piece of metal, then spray wd40 on it. Yu have still compromised the surface area. And again........ Y put all that crap on your eating supplies.

Sounds like you've made more work for yourself by being lazy and possibly shortening the life on some parts...You're going to strip it anyway now to re oil and check everything, you could've done that and cleaned it in the process instead of using the dish washer. Now your wasting electricity, water and who the heck wants that junk where their food plates and cups go????? JMO

Last edited:
^^^ agreed....not only do I see a lot of surface rust but now your going to have to tear down the kit and reoil/regrease all of your bearings and other parts that need it.

There is no way he is being serious.