Wanted to get a new savage xl

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baoduong

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I had a traxxas revo 3.3 before, i just sold it .
I wanted to get a hpi savage xl, i think it's better than the revo 3.3
Can any one give me some idea about this?
I dont know much about xl 5.9 yet.
Does the 5.9 engine has glow plug on the cooling head?
How is the savage xl 5.9?
So should i get one or ...?:)

Its a great trick

I have a savage XL and its an awesome truck. I'm one of the few on here that will say the 5.9 engine is pretty good but mine came Defective so after I sent the engine back its been very dependable. There are a lot of hop ups on the vehicle already and its very easy to work on. The only gripes I have is the radio is very toy like and if your neighbors hate noose, they will hate this truck.

Did you buy the truck at store or order online?

---------- Post added at 8:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:41 PM ----------

and i heard that a lot people got problems with new 5.9 engine and need to send it back to factory for replace another one?

I bought mine online from tower in October of last year. My 5.9 had a missing o ring in the high speed needle so it was running lean. Sent it back and it took them nearly 3 weeks to repair it and my season was over. Between the online coupon and the cash back offer from last year, I saved around 100.00. I also did not pay sales tax either.

Last edited:
I have one as well and the platform itself is awesome. The 5.9 engine on the other hand is a different story. The main problem I have with it is the one way bearing. I didn't even get through the break in process before it failed. Tried a new one and got 2 maybe 3 starts before it failed again. I wound up cracking the backplate and and crankcase but that was due to me overtightening it. So I ditched the 5.9 in favor of the Ofna Force .32 Much better engine in my opinion. Super easy break in and even easier tuning plus I think even though it's just a bit smaller engine it makes more power than the 5.9. You can't go wrong with the Savage XL. All in all it's an awesome truck!

@cwal1774 why dont you bring it back to store and they can change for you a new engine or fix it, i think if the car has problems in the first day you run then you can change it back?? Any warranty for a new truck in store?

I have had mine for 2 months now and I am still loving it, I havent had any issues with it that I havnt been able to handle, I would defenitly say get one, follow the break in procedure to the T, make sure to toss your first glo plug after 5 tanks and re-tune after 6 or 7 tanks and you should be good to go, of course everyone has their own way of breaking in, this way worked the best for me and now its been running great and fires up everytime. I decided to turn my xl into a winter project so I purchased some decent hop ups to get me started,, suspension stuff and just some other simple mods for now, Its easy to go broke with any RC so I stopped while I still had a few bucks left for fuel,I got my savage online from amain hobbies and I think they still have the best price online right now, what ever you decide you really can't go wrong with the xl, Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Be sure you loosen the glow plug a little before you start or turn it over the first few times. once it fires up tighten back.

The 5.9 is a big engine with a big piston. The compression it builds can be hard on the one way bearing especialy right out of the box. Loosening the glow plug will allow it to trun over easier. You only need to do this during the breakin process. Once the engine is broken in and the piston and sleeve wear in starting it will be much easier. Plus it's easier on the RotoStart.

What is factory setting for the needles on 5.9 engine?

Settings for the 5.9 are as follows

Hsn: flush with groove

Lsn: flush with carb body

Mixture screw: no need for adjustment

Idle screw: set so the vehicle does not move when at idle

Settings for the 5.9 are as follows

Hsn: flush with groove

Mixture screw: no need for adjustment

Idle screw: set so the vehicle does not move when at idle

i mean how many turn out from closed on hsn and lsn?

They all need to be tuned individualy by the owner as each one is completly different

but i can not image what are Hsn: flush with groove

I dont know ...

If you read the owners manual it will tell you where to put the needles. The hsn housing has a groove on it. It's suppose to be flush with that groove for break in. The lsn is suppose to be flush with the housing which means that the screw should be set at the body of the carb. If its lean it will be in past that housing and rich if its outside of the housing. You can look on youtube for help adjusting these needles.

High Speed Needle = even with the top of the sleeve it sits in.
Low Speed Needle = even with the end of the carb slide.
There should be a picture in your manual to go by. If you don't have it, go to HPI.com

Back