VX .16 / tiger drive???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gummybear13

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was wondering if the tiger drive S680 orS689 will work with a vertex .16 engine???

it has a pull start that seems to break often from what I have read, just trying to upgrade. if you have other suggestions let me know...

Sorry I'm not experienced with that engine. The Tiger drives are made with slotted holes to fit several engines so I would say they would fit. You just need to know if you have the internal OWB or an external OWB.
If by chance it doesn't,most lhs will allow returns if you didn't use it. A lot of hassle though if you're buying online and have to send it back. I'd go for it myself.

yeah I was just trying to figure out for sure before making the leap...

I did find a engine chart on Sullivan tiger drive website that says it will work with the .21 vertex engine with a small modification but I dont know enough to know whether it means anything to me concerning this engine.

Like I said,I don't know the Vertex engines. I'd pull the back off and see which OWB it has and order a drive accordingly.

I fixed a car once with the .18 version once. It used a OS .18 sized roto start back plate. It has an external OWB. Not sure if your will be the same or not but the .18 was.

Yeah we took the gamble and the OS size was a prefect fit. Personally I like it better than the Tiger Drive since it runs backwards compared to a roto start.

I decided to take it apart to get some pics and post them, just to give you guys an idea of what I am working with and to make sure I get the right stuff when I order.

34e48yt.gif

rmmlib.jpg

That's definitely an external OWB. Looks like a standard small block back plate too. Are the bolts tight in the last pic? Most are counter bored to be flush with the back plate when tight. That may where the minor mod is,clearance for the bolts.

yeah the bolts where as tight as they could be, for some reason they protrude out from the back plate.

from the sullivan site: 1). The start shaft of this engine is shorter than most and requires a slight modification of the TigerDrive unit to ensure maximum life from the one-way bearing. To ensure that the one-way bearing engages the shaft as fully as possible it must be pressed further into the large bevel gear. To do this place the TigerDrive Bracket on a hard flat surface with the gear resting in its normal position. Be sure that the brass washer is in place and laying flat under the gear. With the gear resting on the bracket, drive the one-way bearing downwards until it contacts the surface that the bracket is resting on. To do this use a soft faced hammer or small wood block to cushion the bearing edge from being deformed. Once the bearing is repositioned simply install the TigerDrive as normal.

If I remember correctly the one I used was this...from Tower. The holes are 31mm apart center to center on the roto back plate I think. Check yours and see what ya got. I know it also has indentations on the back plate for the screws on the engine.

***EDIT*** I had the wrong backplate....fixed now!

Last edited:
LMAO! thank god for an edit button right?
I went ahead and order some stuff from towerhobbies. thanks for your help again guys.

No problems man. Was your back plate the same? I like Roto...because is the OWB craps out you replace it. If the TIGER DRIVE OWB craps out....yeah you are out some cash. Yeah Edit is my friend...lol

I think so, it looks right. I am getting excited, warm weather is start to show its face around my parts.

I was wondering if the tiger drive S680 orS689 will work with a vertex .16 engine???

it has a pull start that seems to break often from what I have read, just trying to upgrade. if you have other suggestions let me know...

on nitro rcx they have a starter system just like the tiger drive one that is made for these engines

Yeah, I saw that one...I wanted something with better quality honestly.

As for the one way going in the tigerdrive, it presses out so it can be replaced.
( not sure who said the tigerdrive is junk after the bearing outs but...)

I found on sullivans website a replacement bevel gear and OWB or One way clutch as they call it. for this model it is S697 for future reference...

Back