VX-16 engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
does anyone know what would replace a VX-16.

today i spent all morning trying to get this thing to run. including taking it all apart to check for air leaks. I'm just waiting for the gasket to dry but i doubt thats it. I'm just convinced that this engine is a POS and needs something else. anyone know what kind of cheap (money cheap ) engine would replace it?

or just anything. i dont know what to look for so I'm kinda stuck but i still want to get this thing going. let me know please =] any help would be greatly appreciated :surrender

hmm no answer. ok let me rephrase the question, how or what do i have to measure to know what other engines would fit in my car. i figure the exaust would have to be on the same side. but what else? I'm not to sure what to look for. also when purchasing a new engine. can you Dr. up the exaust to make it a rear and get a pipe the goes the way a side mount would.

i hope that questions is better than before. i would really love some input on this one

thanks
Matt-

yes it does have a side exhaust. my servos are hispeed. i have a redcat on road nitro. but the engine is crap. that one you showed in link definetly looks like the engine i have too. thanks alot.

i was just wondering what else would fit. what do i look for that i know other engines would fit in my car. i know my car has side exaust and pull start with a rotary carb.

yes it does have a side exhaust. my servos are hispeed. i have a redcat on road nitro. but the engine is crap. that one you showed in link definetly looks like the engine i have too. thanks alot.

i was just wondering what else would fit. what do i look for that i know other engines would fit in my car. i know my car has side exaust and pull start with a rotary carb.

Take a look at the OS18cvr or HPI g3.0 both are great engines are cheap and should drop right in.

other than what you have mentioned,the crankshaft is the only other thing i can think of. most on road cars use a standard crank,but some use a shorter crank. ohh and the obvious is its a smallblock engine,there are a few on roads that will accept bigblock engines.

there are no specs on the website for my car. or in the manual. i was hoping to spend less than 100 bucks on the engine. i seen alot that are .16 or lower for that price on towerhobbies.com i just dont want to buy something that isnt going to fit my car.

I've done everything that everyone said. broke it in right, took care of the thing. I'm just totally convinced that it is a piece of crap and definetly need a new one.

i was going to take it down to my LHS but they wanted to charge me 85 bucks to work on it. its not worth it i can just get a new engine for that much

$85 to tune an engine? thats nuts! and after raping you for the $85 and spending 15min playing with it,they tell you that you need this $800 os engine.lol

Pretty much all small blocks have the same mounting dimensions. You just need the same crank, carb, and exhaust.

that looks like a good one but i was also thinking about getting

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFYN7&P=0

does anyone know if you can call tower hobbie and find out if an engine would fit? i searched over 100 sites for real and still could not find the specs on a VX-16

thats a decent engine especialy for the price,i have one and can't say anything bad about it. and if you buy it and need the short shaft you can cut a long shaft to make the short shaft.

I am pretty sure the engine you had was a short shaft but the HPI should go right in to place no problems. I have had one of those engines and they are easy to start and tune. Good choice. Make sure you get a clutch nut that will fit the engine though.....the old one most likely is a different style. Order it with the engine so it all shows up together.

that looks like a good one but i was also thinking about getting

does anyone know if you can call tower hobbie and find out if an engine would fit? i searched over 100 sites for real and still could not find the specs on a VX-16

For about 25 bucks more you can get the os18cvr or hpi g3.0 and both will stomp the 15.If you still have the bill of sale you could send it to Red Cat for a motor upgrade for about 40 bucks and get a SH18.The Sh18 is a pretty solid reliable motor.I would go for a 18 before I went with a 15 but the choice is yours.

i am going to go with

its cheap. from what you guys say. reliable. and my girlfriends paying for it =]. so what else would i need for this to work. do i need to buy the header for this? and also a clutch nut? how do i know I'm buying the right one and anything else i would need? or do i use the stuff from my old engine? just want to make sure i buy everything at once so i dont need to order anything else.

thanks again for all your guys input on this. i think ill have alot more luck with this engine. and then once i get the hang of tuning an engine thats not so tempramental. i can go back to the other one

Back