upgrades for the RC18T

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I can't what to get my hothands on an rc18t I will be getting one in about 2 weeks and I was wondering what are the best upgrades. Mostly I am looking for a great not good but great gnarly off road tire I will be doing some major mini off roading what teeth should I gear down to and what else would be a good upgrade for off roading I will keep the moter and esc so none of that.

How do you shim the diff or what do you use?
I can't find the shims...

PiErow said:
How do you shim the diff or what do you use?
I can't find the shims...

shims

just put them on the drive shaft so the gears line up good. it shouldn't take to many.

Those "outdrive savers" will work, but you'll spend WAY more money than you have to buy buying those. You can go to your local home improvement stores and go to the plumbing section. What you want to pick up are some 5/16 compression sleeves. Not all Lowes or Home Depots have that size (it's pretty small), but I'm pretty sure all ACE Hardware stores carry them. You might spend $1 or so on them.

If you're looking to upgrade from the start, pick up some CVD's. They will get rid of the dogbones and you won't have to worry about them flying out. The axles will be much stronger and won't break as easily also.

If you're going offroad in the dirt a lot, pick up some scrap lexan sheets so you can make dirt sheilds for your chassis. The 18T is very open to dirt and pebbles being thrown in the spur gear. You won't get far before you're replacing spurs.

Your gearing will depend on the track you race on.

Well I was thinking of these two tires but I am not sure which to go with what do u guys think will work better
Team Trinity off road tires for the mini t or the proline dirt hog tires for the mini t also what is better stiff, medium of hard foams

Last edited:
GilBeQuick said:
Those "outdrive savers" will work, but you'll spend WAY more money than you have to buy buying those. You can go to your local home improvement stores and go to the plumbing section. What you want to pick up are some 5/16 compression sleeves. Not all Lowes or Home Depots have that size (it's pretty small), but I'm pretty sure all ACE Hardware stores carry them. You might spend $1 or so on them.

If you're looking to upgrade from the start, pick up some CVD's. They will get rid of the dogbones and you won't have to worry about them flying out. The axles will be much stronger and won't break as easily also.

If you're going offroad in the dirt a lot, pick up some scrap lexan sheets so you can make dirt sheilds for your chassis. The 18T is very open to dirt and pebbles being thrown in the spur gear. You won't get far before you're replacing spurs.

Your gearing will depend on the track you race on.

what do i do after i buy the sleeves? where do i put them and how?

They go over your outdrives---> the plastic part that comes out of your diff and the spring and dogbone slides into. You have 4 outdrives total. They're there to keep the plastic parts from spreading apart under load, and that keeps the dogboes from popping out.

I know but shimming. I thoght when you shim you open the diff, put a little washer, and that is shimming. I have the mip cvds for it.

thanks GilBeQuick,as soon as i fix my car, i am going to try to give it a shot. it would be nice to get rid of the pain of always putting the dog bones back in.

What wt shock oil do you guys reccomend?

Pie, that depends on how you run your truck. Are you running offroad and jumping it, or are you running onroad?

what oil I would be offroad and jumping

I threw in 55 wt for an all around and like it.

Back