Uh Oh!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm guessing that:

1. If there is smoke coming from the head of the engine... :smoke:
2. And, it just stops after running like a champ all day, performing fantastic jumps and tearing it up... :redbuggy:
3. And the temp. gun reads 415... :flamer:

I have a LEGITIMATE reason to drop an OS .18 TZ in my Revo? :jittery:

In all honesty, it started right back up after it cooled down, but I about s%@t myself when I saw what the temp gun said! What gets me is that I checked the temp regularly and it was right where it should be. It did take a few good hits on the shell and I noticed that the rubber coupler between the header and the muffler has a tear in it, so I'm figuring during one of those landings, HSN got knocked out of whack and I'm sure having the coupler torn didn't help any.

Oh well, like Def Leppard says, "Better to burn out, than fade away!" :flaming:

Wow 415. It probably dropped a few degrees too before you were able to temp it. The most I had one up to was about 375 before I caught it. It never died as a result though.

It should be fine if it's a one time deal. If not, like you said, good excuse for the OS.

That tear in the exhaust coupler was probaly the problem. The reason being is that it took pressure away from the fuel tank. Loss of pressure to the fuel tank causes the fuel mixture to go lean.

DirtRacinFool said:
That tear in the exhaust coupler was probaly the problem. The reason being is that it took pressure away from the fuel tank. Loss of pressure to the fuel tank causes the fuel mixture to go lean.

My thoughts exactly.

i have never had the gasket issue but i have had a severely hott mill ,
my temp gauge reads as high as 395 deg ,then says HIGH .LOL
mine read high but it didnt show any signs of beingthat hot until it ran out of fuel ,so i tore it down and had OS-rocket pinch it for me and its still running to this day on its 5th gallon

Corrado had the temp gun just say "HOT" at the bash in lancaster when he took the remp on the savage. It later said sometihg like 450 or somthing above 400 degrees. I don't think it liked using that helicopter fuel he had in there.

Diver6127 said:
I don't think it liked using that helicopter fuel he had in there.
haha, the highest I've seen was my friends Hyper 8 port reaching 403. It sounded like it was gonna explode! it was fine later, but I was pissed at him because he richened it out so much after that for the next race that it wasn't even worth LOOKING at his car it was going so slow and boggy. What a waste of racing that was, know what I mean?

Oh well, like Def Leppard says, "Better to burn out, than fade away!"

Neil Young...

Yeah R2, I knew Def Leppard didn't originate it, but I had a brain fart and couldn't remember it was Neil.

Ran it again today, seemed alright but I could never get it to tune in just right. I think I was a little gun shy 'cause I never got it much above 230. I dunno, been waiting on an excuse to get the OS, so I may just get it.

Hottest I've ran an engine is close to 350. That was because the little teflon retainer for the wrist pin was lost, and it was grinding against the sleeve. Left a nice wrist-pin sized scratch in the sleeve, but the engine STILL RAN!!

the engine in question; OS CV.12

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Hey, MW, no problem, I'm just a huge Neil Young fan.

Anyhow, I have hit temps of 280-310 with one of my 2.5r motors, but no loss in power. If it still held a tune and power after that run, you're most likely OK for a bit. It will probably just shorten overall engine life. At least you were in a Revo and having a heck of a good time!

Venom FailSafe and temp monitor baby! This thing does work, although...... I have envisioned having a device that would monitor the temp and turn on a bright LED that could be seen to inform you of the condition. But this temp failsafe is the next best thing, but it gets annoying waiting for it to cool down and give you the full power back. It's also a little on the large side.

Diver6127 said:
Corrado had the temp gun just say "HOT" at the bash in lancaster when he took the remp on the savage. It later said sometihg like 450 or somthing above 400 degrees. I don't think it liked using that helicopter fuel he had in there.

and she purred just fine all day afterwards. seems to me it had enough power to strip 2 spurs after that too, haha.

The mud must've been keeping the power down afterwards.
RCNTBash048.jpg

RCNTBash058.jpg

RCNTBash059.jpg

RCNTBash056.jpg

Last edited:
anyone ever have the older red headed Fantom .18????
the manager for my LHS ran an MT 20 min main w/ the engine temping at 420......and it ran like a scalded ass dog......I temped mine at 430 once and it was still running good.....I don't have any clue why they changed the piston / sleeve combo they originally had in those......best friggin T-maxx / Revo engine ever made...the silver head ones suck ass......I still have one as a back up for the maxx I never friggin drive anymore....

Yeah RR, I was having a blast! Weather was great and the truck was running great, but I HAVE TO GET A ROLL CAGE! I ran the tank empty, topped it off and put the starter in...nothing. Thought maybe I had the starter backwards...nothing. Changed packs in the starter...nothing.

Pull the body off and, son-of-a-bitch, on one of the rolls I ripped the contact off the starter motor...DAMN!

Any suggestions on roll cages? I see a lot for the Savage.