Tuber frames

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4u2nv

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Any of you ever do a tuber frame for your crawler? My Tlt should be here tommorrow (wooowhooo!) and I've been reading up on tuber frames and think I might give it a try. Just curious if ya had any pointers...

Oh and one more question... Does anyone know what method there using to weld tuber frames? Is it a brazing in the joints or tig welded? (Does it matter?)

Andy if I were to do it.I would tig it.brazing is good but when it comes down to flexing.It would crack sooner or latter.

Ill have to see if once I get the mock up done if my dad could sneak it into work with him and use there tig welder.

Anyone know by chance what size rod most of them are done it?

I think most use a 3/16 rod but I'm not positive. Do a search for John Boyer, he is considered the best there is for tubers.

Smaxxin is correct 3/16 steel seems to be the most common size material for tubers. He is also right in that John Boyer makes the sickest tubers out there. I have been wanting to do one for the longest time but don't have the means to do so at the moment. (no access to the proper welding equipment.)

Ok cool! Thanks! I just got the Tlt today.. Looks like its gonan be a kick ass project! My 1st kit too!! Woowhoo! I'm pretty excited to get started but I keep telling myself.. Be.. patient...

yea i'd like to see some pics, I'm thinkin about building a crawler. Just keep us updates on progress

Yeah I'm thinkin of doin a tuber also. When I got the crawler off Zandor I ended up with an extra set of axles. Ill wait to see how yours turns out. Enjoy the build Andy..

I wil definatly do a build up for it. It might be a slow progression on but I will definatly do it.
Phx if I decide not to do the tuber frame, you think ya could send me some mesurements of the gecko chassis ya got from zandor? I was thinking I might have my dad cnc me one at work. (IF I decide not to do the tube chassis)

Konz I got my Tlt for $69.99 shipped to my door from UltimateHobbies.com. Was a killer deal. Should hop on it.

dang you got that joker for 69.99. you got that link saved or what not?

Heres the link. It says free shipping at the top of the site threw web only, but I called mine in and they still gave it to me.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/olm_search.cgi
Edit: Youll have to type in "TLT" in the search. It wont let me direct link it. (Rockbuster TLT 2nd one down)

Cool, Thanks Phx I might take ya up on that.

so what all you get with that kit. it doesn't look to be much of a cralwer but a huge ass piece of junk. i dunno. maybe that's just me.

Remember you can't judge a book by its cover. I bought a for $80 and made it into a sweet rock crawler for less then 200(I think). First i bought a bender chassis then t-maxx links and some sweet 2.2 tires and when I was done with it, It would crawl anything. I sold it because it was a little boring playing with a rock crawler on flat land. I thought I would be fun to climb huge rock piles but it wasn't. So I sold it to some one that lives in Utah Stock the tlt sucks but with a little money it can one of the best crawlers out there.
thekonz said:
so what all you get with that kit. it doesn't look to be much of a cralwer but a huge ass piece of junk. i dunno. maybe that's just me.

This is a custom tube with custom t-maxx axles I came across while looking up info..Very nicely done and I hope when I make my first tuber it looks as good.
yellum34_1_7_1.jpg

yellumflexside_1_1.jpg

yellumtop_1_1.jpg

thekonz said:
TLT's are one of the best bases to make crawlers out of. It doesn't stay a 1/18th scale when it gets done. Ya must have missed the "stretched" part I mentioned above. But yeah, Tlt's are one of the most common ones to convert to crawlers..

What comes with it? It comes as a kit. So like any kit, it comes with everything except the electronics.. I'm gonna hold ya to that "Piece of junk" comment to (jackass) wait till it gets done.

I got all my rod today (Stainless) and will start the mock up probably this weekend. (If I can find time in between hunting and work). I'm debating if I'm gonan do it to fit a body on yet or do panels. I'm leaning towards having a body over it just because they look more real then (Plus I like painting..lol)

So hows the build coming Andy ?? My crawler is almost done.. I ordered parts from rc4wd and I can't believe how much shipping costs to canada..oh well gotta have it I guess..Ill get some pics up when I'm done.

I got a bunch of Stainless rod that I'm gonna do it out of, but I've been so swamped that I havnt even started yet. I think that might be something I put on the burner for a while. I still got the diffs to build, and get a stampede tranny from somewhere.. I dont wanna start the build without it. My luck I would get it done and the tranny wouldnt fit..lol.. I'm also contimplating doing a custom tvp set up. (My dads a machinest)

Should post up some pics of yours! Id like to check it out.

Back