TTR EK4 S2 Project BEAST MODE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta love projects man this is usually how it goes LOL! But it sure is looking awesome bro! Kinda makes me wish I didn't trade off my GS truggy rig. And I doubt you will notice any kind of performance loss from the 7075 aluminum, sometimes aluminum isn't a bad thing in some areas on a rig.

Yeah for sure. Problems are inevitable when mix and matching parts.
But, the challenge of making it all work is half the fun.

GS truggy...was it GS Storm you converted to a truggy?
That would be cool rig.

I'm thrilled to death I was able to strengthen weak areas
with additional aluminum and shed a full pound of weight at the same time. if Did I mention this engine alone weighs 2lbs. LOL

7955 is my favorite servo. I run them on one truggie, two buggies and have an extra one for backup. They are violent. I have had trouble with two of them, but since HiTec fixed they have been fine.
Although I haven't field tested this servo yet, according to the specs, it's built like a brick
poop-1.gif
house.
Think I found my new favorite servo.

Pics are coming tomorrow morning. :D

Last edited:
Hmm thats odd. I didnt have to shim mine. I hope I didnt give you bad info. I guess because I didnt need to shim up, that kept my bones the right length.

For the battery, I replaced the stock posts with longer ones. I think they are RS4 posts. I used a flat r/x pack

null_zps57c511ad.jpg

Hmm thats odd. I didnt have to shim mine. I hope I didnt give you bad info. I guess because I didnt need to shim up, that kept my bones the right length.

For the battery, I replaced the stock posts with longer ones. I think they are RS4 posts. I used a flat r/x pack

Your info has been a huge help. Thanks again.
I'm probably being over cautious.. I could feel the gear teeth on the under side of the chassis plate slightly..
I'm gonna yank the old receiver case and battery holder . I have a EB4 S3 battery/ receiver case that will fit my humpback battery and receiver.

@hulkmaxx Thanks bro!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still have a bunch of things to finish but, here she is:
BEFORE AND AFTER: TRACK MODE

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0205-1.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

DSCN0204-1.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

DSCN0104.jpg

DSCN0210-1.jpg

DSCN0092.jpg

DSCN0212.jpg

DSCN0213.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:45 AM ----------

HERE SHE IS IN BEAST MODE

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really good with the terra pins man they compliment the truck nicely, nice rig

Looks nice. It's a ;ot of work. Until someone does somethig like this, it's hard to realize all the work that goes in to it. Now the REAL fun begins, testing your setups ;-) If you've posted already, I apoligize. Would love to know your current setup (suspension, diffs, clutch, etc.)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm gonna keep the pin tires on it, I tried out my Summit tires to see if it would work. Not really. I have some loose ends to straighten out, then I get to test. can't wait.

Yeah I like the pin tire setup for sure and that massive engine sticking out just makes this thing look like a monster! Nicely done for sure.

Project update: Quirks are all fixed, the EK-8ight is almost ready to test..
Its been a while since I checked in. Life got in the way and kept me from my project up until now..
Finally, this week I got some wrench time in and nearly completed my project.
So far...

The diffs are flipped and the truck now rolls forward
gotcha.gif

The mud guards are trimmed to contour the body

Installed a FLY SKY FS-GT2B radio system

Here's an overall list of Losi 8ight Truggy 2.0 parts I used for this project:

51t center differential
Dish wheels
Hub extensions
Painted body
Shocks
Body posts

Body post issues fixed and ventilation holes cut out, cooling fins chopped
DSCN0226.jpg

Replaced the poorly designed exhaust pipe with a Jammin JP-1 pipe
DSCN0229.jpg

Replaced the funky battery holder with a fully enclosed box that holds the battery, all wires and receiver.
DSCN0245.jpg

I bought an additional cooling head and cut it in half so it's lower than the roof line but it's still taller than the original.

DSCN0238.jpg

Replaced my butchered up Revo wheels with Losi 8ight truggy wheels and AKA I Beam tires
DSCN0233.jpg

Although I'm not a big fan of hub extensions, in this case I had to use them so I could use modern day wheels and tires.
These are Losi 8ight buggy extensions and they fit like they were made for this thing. I got lucky there,

DSCN0230.jpg

I added debris shields to the rear suspension
DSCN0231.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's what I call breathing new life into an old rig SWEET Bro! That thing looks awesome!:whhooo:

Thank you brother! I enjoyed building this thing so much I done went and bought another one!:whhooo: What the wife doesn't know wont hurt her.

DSCN0237.jpg

This one's a stock restoration I'll probably flip and resell

Thank you brother! I enjoyed building this thing so much I done went and bought another one!:whhooo: What the wife doesn't know wont hurt her.

DSCN0237.jpg

This one's a stock restoration I'll probably flip and resell

I know what you mean my wife's none to happy with my spending spree on the MGT purchases LOL!:hehe:She really didn't like it when I told her I was just getting started:D

Project update: Holy Sh_t!
Maybe it's taboo to talk about build costs but I'll throw it out there anyhow.
I tallied up the grand total to build this project and damn near fell off my chair.

1. Old, worn out RTR EK4 monster truck (complete) $200.00
2. Total cost of factory replacement parts and upgrade parts combined: $848.00

If math serves me right, initial cost of truck ($200) + parts upgrades ($848) =DAMN!
WTH was I thinking?!:\ Guess I went a bit overboard.
Although I kept all the salvageable original parts, the only original parts remaining on the truck is the chassis plate, mud guards, F&R diffs, shock towers,
F&R bulk heads, 1 shock absorber, a few screws , servo mounts, and rear hub carriers.

Fun wise, this project was worth every penny. Performance wise? Time will tell.

Next update: starting, break in, tuning, etc. (when free time allows)

Last edited:
Brother I feel your wallet pain LOL!:hehe: I have been dumping cash hand over fist into my MGT project it's ridiculous. Now with the wall I have hit with ordering problems my builds on hold:( But your completely right if one gets enjoyment out if it then it's money well spent. I have recently been having some heart problems and working with these rigs keeps my mind off of it which is a big help!

Yea I have about $600 in mine. When you think about it, if somebody gives you a free roller in great shape it still costs about $500.

Decent servos $100
budget engine/clutch/air filter $200
rx , hump pack. and pipe min $100
wheels/ body/ incidentals $100+++

Brother I feel your wallet pain LOL!:hehe: I have been dumping cash hand over fist into my MGT project it's ridiculous. Now with the wall I have hit with ordering problems my builds on hold:( But your completely right if one gets enjoyment out if it then it's money well spent. I have recently been having some heart problems and working with these rigs keeps my mind off of it which is a big help!

I've been following your MGT project and I can absolutely relate to your parts frustrations and what not. Happens to all of us from time to time. Don't let it discourage you though. its going to be a cool rig once its all said and done and the fact you can continue to enjoy your build and keep your mind off your health issue is a huge win. Never under estimate the power of positive healing, bruddah.

@sv250..man that is the absolute truth. :hehe:

I just bought a brand new Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 buggy roller for $113.00 which seemed like a steal at the time. The S3 is the top of the line TTR buggy.
But now I realize, I have to buy a body, wheels & tires, wing, servos, engine, radio.. By the time its ready to roll, I think I'm looking at 700 bucks or more invested.. :whhooo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats an awesome write up, I'm going to polish mine up a bit and get a video up. If I could find aftermarket parts for the ek4 I would be broke by sunrise :)

Back