truggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmckie

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok ,did a search on truggy info ,and only found pic's, and info on the jt conversion. has anyone done a done a buggy to truck conversion .that explanes all of what they did and problems you ran into on the build and how and what you did to correct it. tips or ideas. gearing info and such.????

i have the mbx4 jt racing truggy....it goes together without a hitch...pretty simple really...

i set my diffs to 5k front,10k center, and 3k rear

here is a video of mine..... http://www.rcpics.net/img/42882

also look on this forum for wolverine's post about his mugen mbx5 truggy...i have pics of mine there....anything else i can help with i'm glad to help

http://www.jtracingproducts.com is where to get the conversion....or on ebay....

you can download the manuals from their site and see first hand what it takes to do the conversion....hope this helped

how thick are those shock towers .do they hold up well?

hey dmckie,
I did a t-maxx to mutant maxx set-up and it went together without a hitch....TRruggies rock make one and see....I use an RG in it now (cause the Sirio was killing diffs) and it still whoops ass on the track....as far as the buggy to truck conversion I can't speak.....but I can say that everything I've gotten from HCR gave me NONE problems...I'm doing a JT T-maxx now and it hasn't given any problems.....yet

i think they are 5mm or better....you wont break one if that a concern...lol

Husky...How does the MBX-4/truggy work? I know the buggy isn't that great and doesn't handle great. I can get a mbx4 and thinking of doing this. What do you think an mbx4 roller is worth? Well taken care of and meticusally (sp?) taken care of.

depends what ya wanna spend total...the jt kit is 159 or so without tires...a good set would set ya back about 80 bucks (rims/tires)....

i would guess if its a complete solid roller it's prolly worth around 2-3 hundred at least......

my truggy handles great and runs very fast....i love it
(just remember you'll need an extra set of rear shocks for the front also)

Does that JT conversion come with everything you need besides tires? or do you have to buy the shocks for the front?

I had the truggy last year and I would recommend building one. I have a detailed build on it right HERE if you are interested.

Hmmm...wonder if they have one for the MBX-5...sounds like a winter project waiting to happen.

sky, actually Kawahara is working on thier own truggy, based on the mbx-5 right now. if you can wait i think they are shooting for early next year sometime. it will most likely include an extended chassis and universals, and a new center spur to correct gearing and any parts needed to clear the larger spur. if you dont want to wait, i believe JT also makes a kit for the mbx-5 now.

I just checked the JT site. They are listing the MBX-5 kit as "coming soon." Looks like I'll be waiting regardless.

Perhaps I need to look into that new Thunder Tiger buggy...but that is a discussion for another thread.

u can get the mbx5 right now....just call....been 7 months since they updated that site

i know 2 peeps that have got one from them

FRB that was a great step by step build! I think I'm going to persue that option.

skymaxx i'll sell ya mine cheap...with or without the motor......and i have everything except the body and wheels to make it a buggy again too.....

w/ os 21 vzb(p) and dynamite pipe...all ya need is servos and radio

or w/o engine......+shipping

email me if ya like....pics if ya need em

price is negotiable...shoot me an offer and we'll go from there

[email protected]

mbx4truggy.jpg

Last edited:
Husky...very tempting. Let me think on it and get back to you.

One question about the MT wheels. Do they take any particular rims? For instance, could I slap on T-Maxx rims and wheels?

yeah thats what i'm running on it now..new rims, foams, proline bowties

Husky, I just recalled that you have an MBX-4 truggy. If that is what is pictured, disregard my interest. I am looking for something in the MBX-5 line or better. Nothing against the MBX-4; parts are just hard to come by in my area. I can find MBX-5 parts with little difficulty and have two MBX-5s for parts commonality. Makes field repairs easy if I have a few beasts to strip in an emergency.

Last edited:
i got a sack full of nip mbx4 parts..and there are many sites that still carry mbx4 parts (nitrohouse.etc.) but if you dont want it i understand..you just gotta know where to look :)

Husky, I appreciate the offer. I really do. I am a non-paypal, non-credit card type so online shopping is not something that works well for me. I pay by MO, check or cash.

Again, thanks. I'll wait until I find an MBX-5 kit.

Back