Truggy vs buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrard1889

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Which is best for bashing eg. Jumps

Hpi trophy buggy or hpi trophy truggy ?

Thought my other post was last decision but now this is please help !

The truggy would be a bit tougher IMO. It usually has bigger wheels/tires as well as a bigger engine. It also has more ground clearance which is good for bashing, too.

Yeah, I'd go with truggy for the same reason, ground clearance. Other than that they are similar. Buggies are more agile and reactive due to longer wheelbase vs. track. Personally, I've never been a fan of truggies as a race class but I used to really enjoy bashing my 1:8 buggy and can imagine that a truggy would be a bit better for that sort of running.

I've been asking myself this same question. And I've been looking at the hpi trophy 4.6 truggy. But I think I would prefer a kit opposed to a rtr.

Last edited:
Guys, I am glad find this thread. I have 6 nitro RC, mostly Redcat and one HPI RS4 EVO3 mustang. Been thinking about adding another HPI to my collection but couldn't decide on truggy or buggy. As you pointed out, truggy more robust and good for bashing and that's primarily what I do nowadays. Is $400.00 best price out there for the truggy?

Guys, I am glad find this thread. I have 6 nitro RC, mostly Redcat and one HPI RS4 EVO3 mustang. Been thinking about adding another HPI to my collection but couldn't decide on truggy or buggy. As you pointed out, truggy more robust and good for bashing and that's primarily what I do nowadays. Is $400.00 best price out there for the truggy?
I believe the truggy is slightly more expensive (for me anyway), and I own the buggy myself. At stock, both of them need replacement servos since HPI ones aren't the best. They're both well built, and so far I have broken very few things on my Trophy 3.5- I'd say for bashing, the truggy would be better suited, but the buggy is great fun on loose dirt and rocks and bumpy stuff like that, as well as great for taking it to your local track :)

Back