Traxxas Rustler VXL or ultimate vs Arrma Vorteks 3s BLX

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCLover_2024

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Some of you may know I have been bouncing around on what rc to get but I thought I should get a cheap rc with power then buy more expensive ones. These two are the ones that stand out to me but amain said there is a throttle lag on the vorteks but everyone says traxxas electronics are underpowered and I drove a hoss and was underwhelmed and it was my first time driving a hobby grade rc. The one with better electonics will be the one I get.

Between the 2, I think Arrma has better factory electronics but it's a marginal difference. I would make my decision based on which is a better platform, not which has better electronics. Motor and esc is one of the first things most people upgrade.

In my experience, the Vorteks broke first. Arrma 3S stock shocks are the worst. I’m sure the Rusty Ultimate would be plenty more durable, but watch out for you suspension arms, there’s no wide SC bumper to protect them.

Between the 2, I think Arrma has better factory electronics but it's a marginal difference. I would make my decision based on which is a better platform, not which has better electronics. Motor and esc is one of the first things most people upgrade.
Ok, thanks. I am more familiar with traxxas so I will probably go with that.

In my experience, the Vorteks broke first. Arrma 3S stock shocks are the worst. I’m sure the Rusty Ultimate would be plenty more durable, but watch out for you suspension arms, there’s no wide SC bumper to protect them.
Ok, so you think traxxas is the better choice?

Between those two, I'd go with the Arrma, my main gripe with the 4wd Traxxas stuff is that most of those models use the same dated driveshafts/shocks from the brushed 2wd models.

If you're set on the Rustler, either grab the BL2s since it upgrades a few important parts... of course it still has plastic shock caps that will pop over big jumps, or save money in the long run and grab the Ultimate. The VXL will be the worst pick of the three since it doesn't have any upgrades afaik.

Last edited:
I have the VXL and prefer the Vorteks. Arrma just seems to be a better heavy duty build quality. And advertised speed on the vortex is more accurate. You also have a wider selection of batteries with Arrma out of the box.

Back