Transmision Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbons

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is the transmision in the 4908 the exact same as in the 4909? I was looking at putting the tra4949 in but it says only for the 4909 and my truck was the 15 but upgraded to the 3.3 motor and transmision out of a 4908. Thanks for the help.

The transmissions are physically the same size and shape except for the 4909 trans having the optidrive sensor that causes problems....

If your Maxx had the .15 pro engine in it then its the 4910 Classic Maxx with narrow a-arms and black transmission right?..The 4909 Maxx comes with either 2.5r or 3.3 engine in it with grey case optidrive sensor transmission...T Maxx has quite a few different models made over the years

Theres the 4910 Trx .15 Pro narrow a-armed T-Maxx and 4910 2.5r new look T-Maxx then the 4909 2.5r and 3.3 with optidrive sensor and the 4908 3.3 extended version T maxx

Last edited:
My truck did have the black transmission in it. I bought a grey off ebay that was out of a 4908, I guess my qustion is whats the length of the center drive shafts and is the break system the same on the 4909 as the 4908

according to traxxas.com the exploded views lead me to believe that the transmissions are the same. correct me if I'm wrong

my black tranny has that weak fiber disc brake while the new ones actually have that metal disk with the two little pads

Ya thats right, the old has that hex thing that holds in place and the new one has the 2 pins that go through it

Yeah and the 3.3 centershaft is a lil longer but you can cut the shaft shorter at the splines and splined case in the center so youll be ok...I have the 3.3 driveshafts , a-arms , knuckles , diffs and drive axles from the 4908 model in my classic maxx but I left the older black case transmission because I like the stall speed action the newer transmissions dont have and I also love the way it rolls freely both ways....You have more control of the truck with it too.It gives the 3.3 engine power a different -better attitude than my 4909 model T Maxx before I converted it to twin 3.3's...I thought mine was gonna wheelie and flip all over....well all it wants to do is rip the wheels,,,whether its dirt,gravel,grass or asphalt;- the little classic Maxx tires just dont have any traction from even a 3/4 throttle takeoff with this 3.3 engine and trans combined to its ultra lightness..Its real fun doing donuts because it does them so easily.....I'm gonna swap on the 4908 rims and tires on it later to see if theyll make the truck stick better...

Last edited:
My tmaxx wheelies rael easy, if I take the wheelie bar off it flips completly over. I have the smaller 5.75 inch tires but they are extremly soft so they bite like crazy. I also have some proline 40 series mohbs that are 6.9 inches and can't get them to grab because they are rock hard. So maybe just try softer tires.

Back