To grease or not to grease?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitropower

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
When my buddy got his Savage, we took the tranny apart to loctite the 2 speed set screw that has been reportedly causing people problems and we lightly greased the gears while we were at it. On another discussion board, some fella tried to tell me that that was a bad idea??? The trucks drive train is very smooth and I have found no negative effects from greasing it, in fact the metal to metal gears inside the tranny probably need a little lube. Also, I greased the one-way bearings in both the 2 speed and pull start to help prevent wear and premature failure. The tranny shifts very consistently and the pull starter one-way grips like glue, so isn't it wise to grease a little?? Especially considering the tranny is nice and tightly sealed to keep out dirt that could otherwise get in the grease and cause troubles that way.

Technically speaking the tranny is supposed to be a lube free or dry lubricant system. If you are confident that nothing will penetrate the casing to contaminate the lube, then go for it. It is your truck, and you will have to do the repair when it needs it. Just be mindful of the fact that it was originally designed to be lube free or dry lubricated (graphite or the like).

Because it is metal to metal I would definately look to 'dry' lube the tranny. Like Sky said, it was intended to be grease free.

-Chris

Also, depending on which documentation you received with yours (there are 2 out) it should tell you that you dont lube the tranny and that the diffs already come pre-greased.

Other than the possibility of dirt getting in the grease, is there any other reason it is bad to lightly lube the tranny? Also, what do you think about greasing the one-way bearings?

Lube in the tranny could possibly spread to the 2 speed and make it useless. Just what I've heard.

I think people who work for HPI spread that kind of thinking, It's a bunch of bologna. I greased up the tranny with no problems at all, and I especially greased the one-way bearing. If that one-way wears out, there goes about $15 to $18 and I don't want to keep having to take that Savage apart because of parts wearing out in the tranny. What causes wear? No grease! I would really like to have one of the people that says it will cause the two speed to malfunction explain how that's possible. Let me just first say that I don't buy into the idea that grease will stop the fly-out clutch from engaging, grease is never going to change your shift point period. The one-way needs grease and there is metal to metal gearing inside that tranny that should be grease to prolong their life. The light coat of oil that HPI put on the one-way will be history in no time. Obviously they felt some kind of lube was nessasary to prevent short term failure, and obviously the manufacture wants to sell parts after they sell a truck, they're not stupid. So all I will say is that when people start having to replace parts in their tranny shortly down the road, I tried to tell 'em. BTW the Savage I greased shifts very consistently and very reliably with no hesitations.

it is definatly a bad idea to grease your tranny. first of all u lose horse power when your gears are greased, it wont be as snappy, second u better make sure u seal it pretty good otherwise u will have problems on your hands with dirt and greese, not good. It will eat away at your metal gears and mess everything up. third hpi I'm pretty sure greeses the one way bearing in the tranny alrdy so there really isn't anyreason to add more, unless u are touching it alot. Also i haven't had any trouble with any screws coming out and i beat the :wtf: out of my savage. just an opinion.

If what you are saying is correct about dirt getting into the grease, then I would say chances are even better that dirt will get into the ring and pinion gears for the diff. Those gears are greased from factory and not sealed well at all, in fact I beleive the tranny is sealed much better. Second of all, the grease will reduce the friction of the gears and allow more power to get through if you don't use too much grease and just lightly coat the gears, it wouldn't be wise to pack the tranny full of grease. Also there are metal to metal gears inside the tranny that are not high quality hardened steel and they will wear faster without grease. I have had the Savage tranny apart and they only use a very small amount of very light oil on the one-way bearing that will not last very long at all. I'm not going to tell you that your Savage won't last the night without greasing it's tranny, but it's gears life span will be shortened without it and also one-way bearings are expensve to replace. As far as getting more power to the wheels, if you're worried about that you should change the stock pipe to an aluminum tuned pipe if you already haven't, that will make alot of difference in the performance of the engine. Also, that rebadged Ofna P4 engine at 1.7 BHP at 28,000 RPM's doesn't stand a chance next to my OS-RG in my Monster Pirate. The Ofna Hyper 8-port pull start will be taking the HPI Nitro-Star .21BB engines place, it put's out a claimed BHP of 2.5 @ 38,000 RPM's, that'll make it go for sure! Only one trouble with doing this, a guy in Europe did it and one of the steel dog bones snapped in two from the crazy torque.

Last edited:
Well I have yet to hear of anyone blowing a tranny gear on the Savage. Has anyone taken the time to check those gears out? If so, then you probably wont worry nearly as much.

Light light light light light grease in the tranny or dry lube is all you should need.

The diffs are already greased out of the box. That doesn't mean you never have to grease them. In fact, routine maint. on the diff's will greatly extend their lifespan. On my maxx I pack them solid with white lith. Dont know if I will do that or not on the Savage. Just need some good runtime on anything other than ice for a while to determine that. But that wont be for a few months hehehe....

As far as dirt getting into the diff housings, I always grease the seams thoroughly before closing them up. The bearrings should prevent entry through the front/rear/sides. Greasing the seems also adds a little, and I mean little, protection from water entry.

All in all, grease what you want. They sell plenty of parts if it doesn't work out. And if it does, thats the best thing to hear! I just 'prefer' not to pack the tranny.

Ho hum.......

You mentioned that no one that you've heard of has blown any gears in their Savage. Grease wouldn't stop that from happening anyways nessassarily, grease would be used more to prevent wear, not failure due to torque and stress. I still say you're ahead to definately grease the one-way. Have you seen how little they lube the one-way? Even with a little more than a light, light, light amount of grease, what will the difference be when the gears spin around at thousands of RPMs? I don't think any more grease will stay put on the gears then is needed anyways. Plus, most people have been taking apart their tranny to loctite the two-speed set screw that reportedly loosens up anyways, so while they're inside there they may as well do some preventitive maintanence. I agree about using grease to help keep dirt out and some moisture out, another good reason to use a bit of grease.

it is definately a bad idea to grease your tranny.//// Just my opinion.

junglboy_152000 , not to be terribly smart or anything, but I'm just wondering how you can be definate about an opinion?

Last edited:
:cheers:

Great Topic! Keep the thoughts coming!

Nitro - I agree with everything you're saying. All valid points. Especially about having the tranny apart for the set screw. And the one way, yes, can't hurt to grease that.

I been a gearhead for a long time and have worked on allot of cars. I have never seen a situation in my entire life where you would have metal to metal gears and there not be some kind of lube or grease. It completely goes against everything I know about mechanical things to think that you should not use some kind of lube. I have been using a high quality silicone based white machine lube for things like small bearings, stuff like that. I its been real good. I have been told though over and over never to get lube inside the two speed transmission hub. It wont shift after that. My friend uses a spray powder lube of some kind. Its dry.

It has been a long time since I've been here! I've been running gobs of wheel bearing grease in my tranny and I'm talking everywhere inside the tranny. It always shifts flawlessly. I would have to ask if someone can explain to me how grease could stop a locking centripital fly-out finger for the 2 speed from properly engaging. I have my buddy run grease in the tranny of both of his savage trucks and neither of us have had even a slight sign of trouble. Bits for your thoughts.

Sounds like u like greasing ur tranny, i say if the manufactuer doesn't say to i wolnt cuz it just extra money for me to spend on the nitros. Plus if something messes up i can blame it on them not the grease i putin the tranny. Have fun greasin ill sit this one out.

i put grease on the one bearing shaft before i put it back together. actually i just got a new pull start and added some lithium to the shaft. it is metal to metal when the 2 heat they are prone to stress. the grease keeps the heat stress minimal.

don't know naything about the tranny cause i've never needed to take it apart, but the diffs i cleaned out that green grease and used silicone oil when i gotthe truck..

Back