Tmaxx Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flandersander

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Can I get a 3.3 and directly replace my 2.5? or do I need the big block conversion kit?

But it will be hard on tranny parts and diffy's right?

No the 3.3 tranny is built A LOT stronger. You will either need to buy the tranny or change the gears out, which will cost just about as much as finding a good deal on a new 3.3 tranny. I was going to upgrade mine and did quite a bit of research. The 3.3 tranny is gray and the 2.5 tranny is black. The 3.3 tranny was built using much better materials and a better manufacturing process in general to withstand the extra power of the 3.3.

I have a brand new 3.3 tranny that I'm going to sell cheap. I've got some guys looking at it right now, and if they decide not to buy it, I'll let you know. It's probably by far the cheapest that you will find one brand new for. I'll throw in the opti-drive reverse module as well.

How much does the 3.3 Tranny cost? I can't find it anywhere online! I'd just like to know for future reference.

I would say about 130 bucks. Charlie?

I gave 120 bucks for mine including the price of the opti-drive module. I've got a brand new one that I would sell for 70 bucks and include a bunch of spare T-Maxx parts.

Charlie I would buy it if I had the cash. I just don't. Great deal but no cash.

thats still quiet expensive! I thought u only had to replace a few gears...
So basically $200+ for 3.3

yeah. I suppose so. But i bet you could get a good deal on a 3.3 somewhere. Then not so much.

You're going to spend at least 200 to buy the engine and upgrade the tranny and drivelines. If you don't spend it when you put the engine in, you will spend it after you run it for a few minutes after break in, and probably tear up even more stuff.

so eventually 200 in busted drive stuff. gears shafts diffy's etc.?

a foc kit should hold up the trans from what i've heard u can also get a 3.3 brand new on ebay for 124$ and still keep your old engine thats what i'm about to do for my t-maxx

Last edited:
cool. that sounds good. let me know how it goes.

well i got the 3.3 today and put it in. i've never had so much fun everything held up great and i had a blast this worked fine for me and kept me smiling all day and it should for u
go for it

mmm. Well i'm pretty new to rc so when i get bored and want something different I may just get a savage. I was seriously thinking about it and I figure If I do need a new engine, my tmaxx has so much wrong with it I couldn't get 50 bucks for it. So i might just get a savage instead. I am however happy for you that your new engine is working out. I hope you have fun with it.