Tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacks9930

Vroom Vroom Beep Beep
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What tires do you use on light snow and ice?

My bowties on my rustler just dont cut it in the winter.

Has anyone studded their tires before? If so how? Did it turn work?

Now if I were to run in snow I would probably go with the Proline Dirt Paws with the dirt paws you could put metal studs in them. Small screws for ICE running. Fill every tread hole with a small screw that goes deep into the tire. 1/4 half inch long.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDT92&P=ML

Or even the Sand Tires on just snow. If you think about it snow is not much different than sand.. soft surface and need traction.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNPT2&P=ML

While I would like the Bad Lands for loose dirt these other 2 types of tires will dig into snow or ice a lot better.

Never done it but you can since all my R/Cs get parked for the winter months.

Ahh yes, I missed that ice part....I was just thinking snow. I've never really tried to run a kit on ice before.

Going with a larger footprint tire that is a soft compound works best for me in the winter. When I really intend on spending some serious wheeltime with one of my bigger rigs, I throw on an old set of aftershock tires/wheels. If you keep RPM's up, it will nearly float, but god forbid you turn too sharp or it down shifts on you while your "floating" over 3 feet of snow...

Not sure what I'd try on a 2wd rig. They are pretty useless in the winter. Even my 5B doesn't get around hardly at all. Thought about getting some large knob tires and throwing some bolts in them for ice traction... for for as much as I run in the winter, the $100+ investment isn't worth it.

Maybe some Pro-Line Dirt Hawg 2s?

Those don't get much grip on grass, let alone snow. I tried those once a while back. Were just "Dirt hawgs" then though. They appear about the same.

The best luck I had with forward motion on a 2wd was with my xxx-nt running losi's soft step pins, but don't run on pavement...ever, or the pins grind down quick. They were soft and stayed relatively tacky even when cold unlike many others I have tried in the winter.

And Trenchers works great as well.

I've seen the MT 40 series version of those and they are mean looking! Really would like a set for my revo, but pretty sure they would just look weird and put excess strain on my truck.

Go for the Trencher X, their not quite as tall so they don't look as funny on a T-Maxx or Revo.