those interested in a hdtv projector

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking into one of these awhile back.... Sounded awesome till I heard that the bulb needs to be replaced after around 2000hrs. I think the bulbs were like $350... I dont really know much about these projectors, maybe you could shed some light on these systems... Any help is appreciated...
TJ

Found the lamp here for $270: http://www.provantage.com/buy-7infb...s-accessories-consumables-sp-009-shopping.htm

My wife and I bought a big screen rear projection 4 years ago and it still looks like it did then. I'm sure it's outdated, especially since it isn't HD. The HD ones at the time had a shiny screen that reflected really bad and annoyed the hell out of me.

60" and surround are all I need though, especially since we still live in an apartment. Although, I do know that we will never be able to buy much smaller. Anytime we go to peoples houses, their tv just doesn't cut it.

its the same as a big screen rear projection tv. they also need replacing after about 2000-3000 hours but they do last longer some people have had there rear projections for over 10 years with out a bulb change,also to let everyone know the life of a plasma t.v is around 10,000 hours and its trash,the rep told me by the time you need a bulb they should be around 200.00-250.00 so i'd says its a killer deal,i will tell you this with mild lighting,somewhat ok sound At least a 5.1 with a 10-12in powered sub you will knocked off your feet i was amazed!!! and now that the price has come down i will grab me one real soon you wont be disappointed!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I haven't been keeping track of how many hours we've watched tv, but it's on almost all the time. It's been 4 years... at an average of 4 hours a day (minimum, we watch a lot of TV), for 4 years, we are at about 6000 hours... aparently, they don't all crap out at 2000?

I hope ours holds on, I don't even know if ours would still exist!

Iam not up to date on these things but for 14oo$ do you get a screen and the sourond sound (speakers) or do you half to buy thoese to.. and can i hook my xbox up to it?? I was looking to buy a plasma 50" for 5800$ pioneear w/180 degree view

edit the price was off so much for talken to my wife about it
here is the one we are thinking about buying

http://www.plasmaconnection.com/displays.php?id=111

if you havent seen one yet you whould be amazed by it even standing 180 degrees beside it you can still see the pic as if you were standing in front of it

Last edited:
IMO pioneer has the best plasma it is the sharpest and one of the nicest i've seen, the screen is included but not the surround system go find a rep in your area and see if they have a room set up you will be impressed!!

front projection is the way to go... we have an infocus x2 in an apartment sitting at a 96" screen right now... i wouldnt have it any other way. Gotta love the space too... no bigscreen taking up a bunch of space and at a fraction of the price of a plasma.... nice.

I just bought a new TV in September. ( 52" DLP Toshiba with HD2+ chipset 52HM84 ) I bought it locally because I was a little afraid of how it might be shipped. I had read some bad stories. Anyway, buying it locally with the stand cost me almost exactly 4 grand. It was a present to myself after selling our house. I love it. There is no place better to hook your xbox than an HDTV. :)

EDIT: the project aboce has some good stats. It supports a wide array of modes. Be sure you find some way to see it in action before purchasing. I drove 3 hours to see a Toshiba 52HM84 on display (was kinda new at the time).

Last edited:
I'm in an apartment and as soon as I figure a way to rig one of these to the ceiling while still being able to connect VCR, DVD, Playstation, AND CABLE on different RCA ports while keeping a clean look without 100 cables running up the wall I'm sold. I have been looking for a high quality affordable projector ever since I was blown away 4-5 years ago at a friends house in Cali.

He ripped his living room apart to do it but had the projector on a hideaway shelf that would lower from the ceiling by pulling on a small cord (kinda like the ones you find on ceiling fans) then press a button on the wall and the screen automatically lowered from a slot in the ceiling on the other end of the room. We watched an Eagles concert special that evening on a 6x8 foot screen in 300 watt Dolby 5.1 surround sound. I couldnt beleive the clarity and brightness. I want one sooooo bad.

wow. i paid 6500 for my projector but thats been a few years back. it died a year ago and i ended up getting a little 32" sony trinitron. looks like its time to update. how big of a picture will these new ones make? my old one was just over 10ft wide by about 6ft or so tall. if the newer ones can do that ill have to go to sams this weekend and pick one up.

The biggest screens I've seen are 96" x 96" (8feet x 8feet)

yeah that'd work i guess. just remember i put some stairs by the old wall where it used to be and the other wall is only 8.5 ft. i may have to go ahead and take the plunge again.

Back