Thinking about buying spectrum radio

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divine

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm thinking about buying a spectrum Radio. What are your thoughts

Are you buying the radio itself, or upgrading your radio??

DX3? or for a system. I've heard from several that the DX3 lacks some features if you into racing. For about the same price as a DX3 you can find a used M8 with Spektrum and have a really nice setup. Then you can do the mod and make it all permanent.

Just like Jet said. If you need more features and adjustments then used M8 is the way to so. The price is reasonable right now.

The Spektrum system is great. The DX3 is lacking some important features that some other radios have but as fas as the Spektrum system itself, It's the greatest thing since peanut butter. Of all the things I like, the fact that I NEVER have to ask "what channel are you on?" I never have glitches, I can turn on my radio in the pits anytime I want. The only problem is, when I crash, I can't blame it on someone "on my channel". Frequency clips are a thing of the past.

The DX3 is lacking some important features that some other radios have but as fas as the Spektrum system itself

Can you specify what fetures it is lacking?

Dose anyone know how much the mx8 cost

I am up grading my radio I have a mx3.But I dont want to have to worry about bieng on the same channel

mnm said:
Can you specify what fetures it is lacking?
If you're just bashing around, there's nothing missing. If you are racing competatively, it's lacking quite a few things for both on and offroad.

It lacks exponential settings for throttle/brake as well as steering. It has a dual rate control but there is no steering master. If you use ABS, there is none and no way to control swing rate and pulse. There is no traction control for loose surfaces (almost like exponential settings) and also only a 3 model memory.

At best, the DX3 is a very basic radio with DSM technlogy. It is, after all, a rebadged JR XR2. Even the servos were just rebadged JR servos.

I had this radio for about 3 weekends and got rid of it. It didn't suit my needs for racing.

So what are you running now

I am getting back into racing 1/8th scale buggies and dont want to have to worrie about channels

Futaba 3PJs with spektrum module. I use it for all my r/c's since I race them almost every weekend.

Divine.
I am running a Futaba 3PK, with the Spectrum DSM module and receivers in all my cars.
I absolutely love it. I bought the 3PK over 2 years ago and it still works perfectly. I now have about 100 hours on the radio.
The best choice that I ever made as far as radios go.
The 3pk is expensive, but worth the bucks. With the Spectrum, it's great.
Holds 10 cars in model memory, has every adjustment that you can think of.

If you decide to go with the M8, you might want to look into the M11. It's the newest model.

Good luck with your choice.

I think anyway you go, M11, 3PK, Z-1 you'll be happy when it's coupled with a Spektrum. Any of them are great radios and will last you a good while before you'll feel the need to upgrade. I mentioned the M8 with Spektrum since you can find some great deals on them and they really aren't missing too many of the features that the new M11 has. You can find them (M8 w/ Spektrum) for about $200-$250 if you watch.