The "What did you buy today?" thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up one of these puppies (an Icom ID-5100A) and the Bluetooth board for it:

H0-014084A.jpg

I've been staring at it in my cart for a couple days, and finally pulled the trigger. Picked up a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD and the accessories to install it in the gaming rig.
I've been using the smaller 250GB version of that for a couple of years now (Feels that long anyway). No problems or complaints with it. I'm thinking of getting a second to run in a RAID 0 for the primary OS partition.

I picked up the Necromancer add on pack for Diablo III. I'm having a lot of fun exploding corpses...

I've been using the smaller 250GB version of that for a couple of years now (Feels that long anyway). No problems or complaints with it. I'm thinking of getting a second to run in a RAID 0 for the primary OS partition.

I picked up the Necromancer add on pack for Diablo III. I'm having a lot of fun exploding corpses...

I almost went with the 250, but they dropped the 500 down by $30, so it was on a $65 difference between the two. I figure that gives me the ability to move the games I'm really into currently onto the SSD for the load time boost.

I almost went with the 250, but they dropped the 500 down by $30, so it was on a $65 difference between the two. I figure that gives me the ability to move the games I'm really into currently onto the SSD for the load time boost.
I've been running intel's 240gb ssd's in all 3 of my computers at home. Haven't had an issue with any in 2+ years. I still make monthly mirrors of the drives though just in case. I have a 730, 535 and a 530. I also have a sandisk pro that I use for a mirror backup for my main PC.

My backup media drive (seagate backup+ 6TB) died on me a couple weeks ago. I bought the internal seagate 6TB about the same time, so I made sure to get a new external backup just in case it goes next. If I had to guess, that was about 2 years ago, perhaps a bit more. I went with a WD 8TB myBook. I have my entire dvd/blueray library ripped/compressed to mp4's on it. 400+ movies. Can't think about how many hours of time that took to build.

As for RC stuffs, got a new set of 2.8" 12mm proline trenchers for my 4x4 stampede. Also a set of RPM arms for the stampede as I snapped an arm yesterday 5 minutes into my bash session with the new tires. Also ordered some savox metal replacement gears to upgrade a few traxxas 2075's I have laying around. Fried the gears in the one in my jato yesterday.

2VJ-VCmBeHdrMuL3lQwUD1MKtjjjo8e-t3uuOfD4EGIihf_TCkeUBiDzM6rcl7DOlG6lFRj9J-zm9Fth9fxxEZeMU8ZxzXz130r_tWgEkDOkasqx41z-Rn-TmsxJ4BC5nFVLkswZN_XCyd_jaaWHK2pY0AHpF8jSlwWE9MtpGI3f76M379JT2hysfSGSB7bAs1OgxmbnWOXNC9Ta6K2o7jlTjCIUA0jOneAFZVwdGF1rIYZ5WZFqYj2Vla-G9j3lbl2gCxFIUaq99eCP6WduaPY7_t-4Q1BRAWITiDSvd5eqWJ0ZzqDO6NU2sJd33XcGl7iOdkUcdFe98DjObLybwPB6lyz3SKxBL1ZLFQt_2zexTHl_jwLjmhMnhkBdLLqMucl_eeegdrNeXrepoO2e0demlEmmpAbwKDyaOPElja74f6zdrKCLw79o29Xd9vAYAH5zj7Z7fQBC5Ka_-BqzKMAOLrQYjddCziMwGdLCXzow-YJ5Dig6JStQmW_cJ6z0aY3UFALgdXL2XWjMdosX6BGjrLY6qOxFcf-cF-2bcmb83Q9T9BzhyVY5Vo5FYQcGIHbMDJu4BeNwT6IsIynI5oEIp5NzfLzGdNS-R6IjAQWo-IJvNgk=w1689-h950-no
Got the radio in and unpacked the head unit only to find the display was bad. Hmmm. Back to Amazon for a replacement.

A dishwasher. Almost bought a Ford Escape SE with the convenience package, I want to go look at the Honda CRV and a couple o others then I'll make my decision.
The dishwasher gets delivered tomorrow after I install it my kitchen is finally done, 3 months in the making. So that means no more surprise expenses and I need a new car, pushing 300 000 kms and I use my car for work and needs to be reliable. I figure 300 000 kms is when I could start seeing problems.

A dishwasher. Almost bought a Ford Escape SE with the convenience package, I want to go look at the Honda CRV and a couple o others then I'll make my decision.
The dishwasher gets delivered tomorrow after I install it my kitchen is finally done, 3 months in the making. So that means no more surprise expenses and I need a new car, pushing 300 000 kms and I use my car for work and needs to be reliable. I figure 300 000 kms is when I could start seeing problems.
What are you driving for 180k miles before problems? LOL! I'm ecstatic if I make it to 150k.

I'm driving a 2008 Honda Civic, I do my maintenance at the proper times and never had a major problem. 1 sensor and the starter went that's it, other then the consumables as I call them like brakes tires and batteries. Actually thinking about it I've spent more on 1 set of tires then I have on those 2 repairs. That's why I really want to go look at the Honda.

I'm driving a 2008 Honda Civic, I do my maintenance at the proper times and never had a major problem. 1 sensor and the starter went that's it, other then the consumables as I call them like brakes tires and batteries. Actually thinking about it I've spent more on 1 set of tires then I have on those 2 repairs. That's why I really want to go look at the Honda.

Hard for my mind to wrap around a 4cyl lasting that long.

The longest lasting I've had (by miles) was a 98 grand marquis. At 120k, a $12 flapper in the hvac went bad, cost $1k to fix it, they had to tear the dash out. At 154k blew the intake/coolant plenum, another $800. Aside from those two, I did brakes/disks at 90k, tires at 60k, 130k, plugs @ 60k and 120k. Ball joints at 80k.

So really, other than the plenum and door flapper, all just consumables. I sold it to an old lady at 160k for $1500.

Hope I get that good of a report card with my 300c...

How do you like the 300c? I was looking at a used one but the mileage was to high, new I don't want to pay that much for a car. I do like the way they look though.

How do you like the 300c? I was looking at a used one but the mileage was to high, new I don't want to pay that much for a car. I do like the way they look though.
I have a few gripes. I've been buying late model grand marquis for the past 12 years. I got a different one every 4 years due to putting 25k on them a year. I'd drive for 4 years, then my wife would for 4. She only puts a couple k on a car a year at most. Then my office moved and instilled a work at home policy a few days a week, so my mileage went from 25k to a more typical 12-15k. And they quit making the MGM. Anyway, I liked the MGM for the ride and reliability, so getting anything different was going to be a challenge.

The gripes:
The 300c ride is harsh, to be expected as it's a bit of a "performance" sedan with 20" rims. Expansion gaps on country roads sound and feel like your running over 2x4's.
Tires are pricey, $220 a piece for 40k vs $100 for 70k I'm used to.
Headroom is low. I have the seat as low as it goes and my hair brushes the ceiling all the time. I'm not tall, only 5' 10". I know, small gripe, but took getting used to anyway.
MPG kind of stinks. Also to be expected since I got the 8cyl 5.7L. Was used to mid-20's with the MGM's getting average 24-25mpg. Now I average 21mpg, 23mpg on a good day.
Beltline is very high. My elbow angles up to rest it on the window sill. Using an ATM or drive through makes you feel like your handicapped and have to contort your arm to reach out.
Being used to rwd, weather isn't a huge concern, but the extra power and wider tires makes it pretty sketchy in snow and wet roads at low speeds. The torque breaks the rear lose at the drop of a hat.
Requires new plugs every 40k, supposedly. Uses some cheap copper plugs, but has 16 of them.

The good:
It is a pretty car to look at.
Handles nice on windy roads.
The power is quite considerable compared to what I was used to.
Staying below 90 is a challenge some days. It's a very quiet ride inside. 100mph sounds like 60mph. I have to always use cruise or it creeps up on me. Granted, I usually used cruise anyway, but in this I have to make a very conscious effort to stay legal.

If it gets me to the 4yrs of paying for it without costing me more than a couple sets of tires and plugs, then I'll be happy and would consider getting another. Although, the v8's are getting harder to find in a color I'd want and price I'd be willing to pay, I paid $22k for mine with 29k miles on it. I doubt I'd like it as much with a v6 and be able to live with the gripe list. If I had to get a v6, I'd more than likely look at a Taurus or something.

Pulled the pin on the Kershaw Designs LCG conversion kit for my savage. I went with their WP-160/2200kv combo, 2 trx plugs installed and a 21T pinion for $252 shipped. Hopefully that will fit with a 47T spur.

Probably should have stuck with castle and the MM2/2200kv combo...

This route includes everything needed. I figured if they have it listed in the package deal, it must work ok with it.

I got the Savage Flux, I'm only assuming that a conversion will handle the same. In stock form it was not much fun I was constantly having to go flip it over. I got some TCS XL TVP'S, made it wider to XL specs, put the front and rear sway bars on, and some Proline Badlands on. Huge difference and now it's my most used RC, I've only tried the stock tires and the Badlands but I'm assuming most aftermarket tires will help, I put on the stock tires a few weeks ago and it was back to flipping over on some turns. I won't list all my upgrades because I'm sure yours is already upgraded.

I got the Savage Flux, I'm only assuming that a conversion will handle the same. In stock form it was not much fun I was constantly having to go flip it over. I got some TCS XL TVP'S, made it wider to XL specs, put the front and rear sway bars on, and some Proline Badlands on. Huge difference and now it's my most used RC, I've only tried the stock tires and the Badlands but I'm assuming most aftermarket tires will help, I put on the stock tires a few weeks ago and it was back to flipping over on some turns. I won't list all my upgrades because I'm sure yours is already upgraded.
I'm used to the savage and how it handles. I just want it to be brushless so I can run it at the skate park and in the snow. Dog park next to the skate park... can't even hear yourself think when you fire a nitro up and all the dogs start yipping and hollering and then people call the cops, who don't do anything. Just tired of the aggravation and want a truck that can handle the jumps better than a revo.

Bought a new set of headphones, Skullcandy Hesh wireless. My bose AE2W's are getting finicky with my PC. I have a set of the hesh for my wife so she can hear the TV better, or watch it while I'm sleeping. They seem to connect without a hitch and for what I need on a PC, they will work fine.

I'm used to the savage and how it handles. I just want it to be brushless so I can run it at the skate park and in the snow. Dog park next to the skate park... can't even hear yourself think when you fire a nitro up and all the dogs start yipping and hollering and then people call the cops, who don't do anything. Just tired of the aggravation and want a truck that can handle the jumps better than a revo
Okay, I thought it was just the Flux that handled like that with the speed and instant torque. Never mind then.