the new heavy weight sibling

• Thread starter itsalifeworthliving
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsalifeworthliving

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've finally added another sibling to the family of "heavy wieghts". I've been wanting to get a 5th scale on-road for some time now but just could'nt find anything that i really liked that wasn't 1500 bucks. i found this on the fgsupply website and did some extensive research on it. unlike most off brands this was not put in the class of a "clone" and came back with mostly good reviews from other forums and reviews. the only bad reviews and comments were from the tires and rtr radio gear wich is normal i think.it comes with a futaba radio and a 15kg metal gear servo, but has a crappy reciever pack. 80% of the main components are compatable with the fg sportsline. i was really impressed as it comes with front disc brakes, a tuned pipe, and a zenoh 23cc mill. i also liked the body. its not your typical bmw or lancer import style body. its a classic ford gt-40, wich i think is sooo sweet. unfortanitly they dont come unpainted. i i placed my oder today and it should be here by thursday. I'm going to take lots of photo's and get wifey to do some vid. thats if i can snatch the controler from her. I'm also going to put in a good honest review.
here is a link with some video.
http://www.hobbytron.com/GasPoweredRCCar3CHRTRH5FordGTJHCH5.html

it came 2 days early!! opening it was quite a suprise. I'm not sure if it comes like this or there was a mistake, but it came with 2 bodies. 1 blue and 1 red. it is sooo huge! i couldnt
run it do to a small 4 day rain weve been having, but it looks pretty sweet. i disasembled probly 80% of it to double check everything. nothing was thread locked and there were 2 screws that were not threaded in all the way so I'm glad it was raining. it has !2! 1/4 scale servo's as well. the radio is exactly the same as the hpi stocker with the cheap built in failsafe. i really love the body(s).. it is super thick and has a 2 peace tall end. it looks like it would hold alot of air, almost like a parochute.. i unscrewed it and it still has the molded wing and decaled tailights. the drive shafts are super thick. probly double of a stock hpi 5b. they also have steel balled ends, unlike the hpi's plastic ball end. the shock shafts are super thick too. it also has adjustable sway bars wich is pretty trick. you can pull them in closer to the chassis and they get tighter. i can see some weak spots, but not many. the shock towers are pretty flimsy and the 4-40 rods used for the carb and brakes are super thin and flex alot. thats an easy fix thow. the rear dif is a solid steel case with of course steel gears(had to check!!). it has a plastic spur gear thow. hmm. but duritrax and the fg sportsline have the same thing. just not a fan of that. it really seems kinda solid, i am suprised at that. it also has so many diffrent suspension set-ups wich is what i really enjoy about on-road. there was a couple of questionable things about the motor. on one sight i read it came with a zenoh 23cc mill, and on the instruction book it says a 26gh something, but it really has a cy23 cc with a 603 carb. wich is the same motor set-up as the 5b. its not going to be till this weekend for me to run it, but it looks awsome in my hobby room. here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure.. oh ya.. it only cost $500.00 plus $40.00 for shipping from fgsupply.com!!

gt-40003.jpg

gt-40005.jpg

gt-40008.jpg

gt-40018.jpg

gt-40020.gif

gt-40026.jpg

gt-40029.gif

Last edited:
Sweet man. I've been considering getting a large scale for some time. Big $$ though. I'm interested in a 1/4 scale stocker.

very cool. I miss the super quick revving you get with electric but that thig is sweet for sure.

Yeah, I've been considering a brushless conversion on the baja lmao. For what it costs just to do a revo, I would have to sell my house to convert the 5b, there's plenty of room for batteries though :)

That thing is massive, from the video on the site it sounds wicked. Great addition, I'd love to have the space to run something like that around here.

Congrats. That thing is cool but I think I like nitro better revs way quicker :)

Welcome to Large Scale, that's one mean looking car.

-Michael

I would love to have a large scale on-road. Unfortunately, I just don't have a place local to race it on a regular basis.

Congrats. That thing is cool but I think I like nitro better revs way quicker :)

Just wait until you get some trigger time with a large scale, it will change your mind forever. I used to say that I would have nothing but nitro, truth is largescale and brushless completely changed my mind, and now I'm running everything but nitro. I still have a nice lil nitro MT, but it hasn't been run since before I got my baja, and it probably wont get run anythime in the next 3-4 months.

Sweet man. I've been considering getting a large scale for some time. Big $$ though. I'm interested in a 1/4 scale stocker.

it cost less to run large scale then to run nitro. they have a pretty good nascor selection for the fith scales too

it cost less to run large scale then to run nitro. they have a pretty good nascor selection for the fith scales too

yeah, there's a really nice oval near me where they race 1/4 scale. I would LOVE to be able to do that on a regular. Damn, that would be fun. I can just imagine the detailed paint job I could do on a 1/4 scale car.

Yeap, I saw that track that Lessen has near his house. It's really amazing. I've never been a big oval racing fan, not because I didn't like it but because I was a drag racer and I ate, slept, and breathed drag racing and nothing else. However, after seeing that 1/4 scale track in Ohio, I know that if there was one anywhere near me, I would be racing 1/4 scale as we speak.

I know Charlie, it kills me that I jus don't have the lifestyle right now to do it. I mean, in all reality I COULD, but it would require more sacrifices than I care to make at this time. Those cars aren't cheap either. $1600 + radio electronics. I'd do it in a heartbeat though if our work schedules coincided better.

Maybe I'll head out there and get some video of the 1/4 scale racing sometime soon.

Josh, I would absolutely LOVE to see some video, hell I'd pay for the blank media if you were to need it just to get some good video of those things in action. And the comment about large scale being cheaper to run is true for the most part, but when you get into the quarter scale racing like they have at the track near Josh, there's nothing affordable about it. I'm sure on an average race weekend you could spend $200 to $400 just on basic maintenance parts and tires, brake pads, stuff like that. That's just the basic stuff, a crash would entail a lot more I'm sure. I would love to see video of a quarter scale F1 race as well, I bet that's really something to see. If I would have had somewhere to run a large scale on-road, I would have snatched up Timahh's Berg that he sold recently in a heartbeat, but I don't even have anywhere to run 1/10 scale on road.

updated!! video to come as soon as the rain quits.

Back