That's a lot of batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
12 batteries for 4 cars. Do you think that's a little bit overkill?

4 batteries for the race buggy (2 Maclan ones for backup)
4 batteries for the mini b (2 dynamite ones for backup)
4 batteries for 2 Traxxas cars. (2 SMCs for the slash. And the other ones for the rustler)

And some protection

Oh yea. Can't forget the transmitter battery. That really doesn't count though.
PXL_20240211_005607122.jpg
PXL_20240211_005612976.jpg
PXL_20240211_005717796.jpg
PXL_20240211_005819084.jpg
PXL_20240211_010201718.jpg
PXL_20240211_010256525.MP.jpg

I prefer to limit 2 batteries per class I race, I try not to use my backup battery unless absolutely necessary in a bump up situation. I put as many charge cycles on a single battery as I can to wear that pack down first. A new pack typically offers IR around 1.0mΩ per cell and I will monitor the cells until 1 cell goes farther than 1mΩ apart from the other cells then I replace the worn pack and will rotate the backup pack to the primary pack while buying a new backup battery.

If I was racing a stock class then I would discard any battery where any cell goes above 2.0mΩ where I would sell the pack for about 50% of what I paid with the understanding that the pack still has at least 50% life left in it, but no longer for competitive stock racing.

@bill_delong just always has something to say that makes absolute sense. As a “basher” (and I hate that term”) I think about 2 batteries per vehicle is good. If the battery crosses over to multiple platforms then I don’t buy that many. It seems I need to invest in a charger that measures IR, I use a Venom pro Duo, it does not have that feature as far as I know, but it does charge a crap ton of battery types.

I prefer to limit 2 batteries per class I race, I try not to use my backup battery unless absolutely necessary in a bump up situation. I put as many charge cycles on a single battery as I can to wear that pack down first. A new pack typically offers IR around 1.0mΩ per cell and I will monitor the cells until 1 cell goes farther than 1mΩ apart from the other cells then I replace the worn pack and will rotate the backup pack to the primary pack while buying a new backup battery.

If I was racing a stock class then I would discard any battery where any cell goes above 2.0mΩ where I would sell the pack for about 50% of what I paid with the understanding that the pack still has at least 50% life left in it, but no longer for competitive stock racing.
For the stock buggy, I use the CHNL batteries. They are pretty good. Last time I checked them they were are 2.5ish milliohms a cell. Since I'm you know. Just racing for fun, I don't see any issue.
I think about 2 batteries per vehicle is good.
Yep thats my rule of thumb too. But idk when but I just got addicted on buying batteries. Lol
If the battery crosses over to multiple platforms then I don’t buy that many.
Yea. The all of the batteries I have for the 10th scales can work in all 3 of my cars, besides my buggie which can only do shorty packs.
I actually used one of the shorty packs in my slash today to test it out. I had to put alot of foam in the battery tray to secure it. I just used old tire foam I had laying around. It works.
PXL_20240210_203256633.jpg

... I need to invest in a charger that measures IR...

I can't stress the importance of knowing what your IR readings are, every single LiPo fire I've witnessed to date (probably close to a dozen) I've asked the driver what their IR readings were the last time they checked and not a single person even knew what IR was... shrug

Not knowing the IR is like playing with a timebomb that you have no idea when it will spontaneously combust.

I would encourage you to consider some chargers referenced here:

***EDIT***
Side note, I always do a facepalm when I see people invest in a LiPo bag, or cram all of their batteries into a single container which can create a chain reaction creating far greater intensity of flames as 1 bad pack causes the entire collection to go up in smoke. I choose to store each battery in the car to isolate my packs to minimize damage. You have about 10 seconds to get a smoking pack outside before it bursts into flames, act VERY fast because that stank will stay in your house for weeks, possibly years if you have a chain reaction!

I know of a fellow racer who burned down his garage... finished race on a Saturday, placed all his packs in storage mode grouped together in a plastic tool box in the garage, went to bed and woke up at 2am with smoke alarms going off, garage and all it's contents including 2 parked cars were a total loss :( This happened before IR was a thing and there were no signs of swollen packs, no cracks, everything seemed in good working condition other than he stored the batteries in a hot garage which is a major mistake.

Last edited:
Back