Temp Guns?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want to get my engine tuned right before i ruin it, so i thought i temp gun would be a good idea. Can anybody give me link to one on Tower? I have been looking at the Duratrax one, any ideas on that?

If you got like$35-$45 and a Radio Shack you can go get on today! I used this one until I lost it and it was never more than 3-4 degrees off the most expensive IR guns. I even dropped it quite a bit and it still averaged about 1 degree diff from the Rayotech. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=22-325

22-325.jpg

Cool, thanks. any other good choices for less money?

Less than $50? I'm sure there are some less than that but you'll lose quality. The one HB linked you to Error has been using for years and it's never failed him.

The one HB has posted is the exact one I use. I've only been able to compare to a Rayotech once before but the Radio Shack version was within a few degrees, as stated by HB. And I've beaten the hell out of mine as well with no problems.

Couldn't tell you anything about the Duratrax other than it has similar specs to the Radio Shack gauge. It's cheaper, grab it and give it a shot then let us know how it works out.

-SlingItX

I bought the Atomic temp gauge. Its just like the duratrx gauge.
Works fine. I also comared it to the rayotech gun, and it was very close.
Cost approx. $35-40

hmm looks real close to this one just rebadged

front_tempgun.jpg

tempgun.jpg

Last edited:
2185temp.jpg

HMMMMMM.
I think your on to something HB!

That sucks because the on-board temp gauge seems like it would be a good idea since it can display the max temp while the car is out running around.

Yeah but if you've been running hard and bring it in for a pit stop with your temp gun in hand you'll get an accurate enough reading.

Thats what I use. I do know a guy that has one that is consistantly 20 deg. low. We've checked it with two other ones to verify, and now he just adds 20.

I have the Duratrax temp gun and it works ok but my buddies have the radioshack model and it seems to be better, when we would check the same engine they would be with in a couple of degrees of each other and mine would very anywere from 5 to 8 digrees from theres. All said and done it does the job and is better than not having one at all so if money is a problem go with it. Hope this helped.

i got the duratrax one from tower for xmas and i like it. i havent had a chance to compare it to another though. when my mom bought it, it was on sale for $25. i wrapped the wrist strap around the base of my transmitter so i always have it when I'm driving.

Originally posted by El Pirata
Error used that one but found the temps to be very inconsistant.

Damn, hope they worked on it, I got mine today:(. Gonna test it in boiling water.

I got myself a nice snap-on temp gun. I believe it reads from 75-1100 degrees. It has a back lit display, light for use in the dark, and two lasers that help you get the most accurate reading. When you point the gun, two red dots appear, and where they meet gives you the most accurate reading. Also has all the reg features like c or f and highest temp read. Also cost me 200, but worth every penny cuz it says snap-on.

--NooP