T-maxx break in?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad55102

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just got a new T-maxx 2.5, the break in instructions are very specific, but they say nothing about putting the piston at BDC when the engine cools. I have always done this with all of my nitros but the people at Traxxas dont seem to think its necessary. What do you think?

Always put the piston at BDC on all nitro engines.

Last edited:
Always BDC, even after break in.......ALWAYS!

why i have always wondered what good bdc does??

It keeps the sleeve from deforming. The sleeve expands and contracts faster than the piston.

I've never done it and I'm pushing 4 gallons

i dont see how that would affect it after cooled though i mean the temp drops durastictly after the motor is shut off to get it donw to bdc b4 the motor cools would be very hard

You're just seeing the outside temps. The inside of the engine will stay warm for at least 30 minutes.

yeah but if the sleeve truely expanded faster then the piston you would have no compression not that I'm saying that isnt the proper way but I've never done it and havent had any problems with the trx 3.3 or 2.5r or losi,hpi engines that all pushed the 4 or 5 gal mark and still run strong

They will never stop at the top or anywhere within the compression stroke, since the compression will always push them down part way. Put a mark at the top of the flywheel when you have it at BDC, and just give it that little bit extra to make sure the piston is all the way down.

I guess they don't want to over complicate things for beginners who might be confused??

Back